Lark3po
Premium Member
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL

1 edit

Lark3po

Premium Member

Huntsville / Madison has been updated to DOCSIS 3

Huntsville/Madison has been updated to DOCSIS 3.

The "Basic" package is now 12 Mbps down /2 Mbps up.

The "Edge" package is now 25 Mbps down / 5 Mbps up. (this is still plus $10 on top of basic)

While on the phone with tech support he mentioned a third option of 51 Mbps Down / 10 Mbps up for only $15 over the basic price. I tried to order this but the guy in "sales" didn't see that option. Who knows, maybe it is coming soon...

"Edge"

marcusm88
join:2009-06-29
Augusta, GA

2 edits

marcusm88

wow that's nice... that def makes edge worth the +$10

edit:
Did they have to replace your modem?

BiGdUsTy
join:2005-10-20
Panama City Beach, FL

BiGdUsTy to Lark3po

to Lark3po
Sure hope they turn up PCB soon because where getting hammered in the evening.

Lark3po
Premium Member
Madison, AL

1 edit

Lark3po to marcusm88

Premium Member

to marcusm88
said by marcusm88:

edit:
No. I already owned a DOCSIS 2 modem and according to the specs (see link below) it should be good up to 42.88 down and 30.72 up.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

I agree. $10 more bucks is worth the extra upload boost to me.

marcusm88
Augusta, GA

marcusm88

said by Lark3po:

No. I already owned a DOCSIS 2 modem and according to the specs (see link below) it should be good up to 42.88 down and 30.72 up.
That's good for those that own their modems.

This turn up is just in time for their Q4 conference call, that should happen next week.

Oh ya, do you use knology's usenet? if so, what kinda download speeds are getting from it now?

Lark3po
Premium Member
Madison, AL

Lark3po

Premium Member

said by marcusm88:

said by Lark3po:

That's good for those that own their modems.

This turn up is just in time for their Q4 conference call, that should happen next week.

Oh ya, do you use knology's usenet? if so, what kinda download speeds are getting from it now?
I don't use usenet but the Anon who started »Knology Performance Increase & Pricing Plan Questions claimed to be getting 3.89mb/sec with the edge for 27 minutes straight.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

goober22 to Lark3po

to Lark3po
said by Lark3po:
said by marcusm88:

edit:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

I agree. $10 more bucks is worth the extra upload boost to me.
That's good. I have a Moto SB5100 and it's only 1.1 & 2.0 certified but if you're getting good speeds with a 2.0 then I won't update mine.

@BiGdUsTy,

I'm ready for the update as well but my speeds have been pretty consistent after that stumble I had back about 10 months ago. I get these speeds pretty much 24/7 now in the Cedar Grove area. I can hit the same pretty much with usenet as well.

Lark3po
Premium Member
Madison, AL

Lark3po

Premium Member

I believe I read that Huntsville and PC were listed as getting updates first so you may be getting it pretty soon.

mwoodj
join:2001-10-27
Madison, AL

1 edit

mwoodj to Lark3po

to Lark3po
Well I own a Scientific Atlanta Webstar DCP2100. I purchased it for $15 off of ebay after Knology started providing "Edge" because it was the modem they would bring out to Edge customers. It has worked great up to this point. It is DOCSIS 2.0 compliant. With the upgrade I am seeing the new Edge speeds:

Now I am interested in getting the new tier as soon as it is available. Looking at DOCSIS 3.0 there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to choose from and they are pretty expensive (compared to what I payed for the DCP2100.)

Bill_F
@apid.com

Bill_F to Lark3po

Anon

to Lark3po
Is it all of Huntsville or just certain parts?
I'd like to upgrade to the 51/10 package at UAH next week if they will offer it.

Lark3po
Premium Member
Madison, AL

Lark3po

Premium Member

said by Bill_F :

Is it all of Huntsville or just certain parts?
I'd like to upgrade to the 51/10 package at UAH next week if they will offer it.
Not sure if or when it will be available... I was told it was an option by the tech but the sales guy didn't know anything about it...

All of Huntsville / Madison should be upgraded.

raw
War Eagle
Premium Member
join:2001-01-17
Madison, AL

raw to Lark3po

Premium Member

to Lark3po
If this is to be attributed as an authoritative source, I think Knology See Profile is referring to PCL Cable, a small cable outfit in Decatur/Athens that Knology bought a few months ago (~11/09) and is working on bringing into the Huntsville head-end.

I say that because that's the only place I've seen any sort of mention as to where Knology is doing docsis 3.

Smeeon
@knology.net

Smeeon to Lark3po

Anon

to Lark3po
I noticed the speed increase about 1 week ago, however in the past week the line quality has been extremely sketchy... either I have ~12mbps or i have 1.

Is this due to the upgrades? can we expect it to get better?

Lark3po
Premium Member
Madison, AL

Lark3po to raw

Premium Member

to raw
said by raw:

If this is to be attributed as an authoritative source, I think Knology See Profile is referring to PCL Cable, a small cable outfit in Decatur/Athens that Knology bought a few months ago (~11/09) and is working on bringing into the Huntsville head-end.

I say that because that's the only place I've seen any sort of mention as to where Knology is doing docsis 3.
PC was for Panama City.

Samir
join:2010-02-06
Madison, AL

Samir to Lark3po

to Lark3po
After seeing this, I am pissed off to no end.

I've had the edge ever since they introduced it back in the day. I've had 3 (that's right three) cable modems with Knology for over five years now. (Need the upload bandwidth to upload photos.)

So I know about the upgrades, but I don't see the 25m/5m that I should. Tech support people told me that I had to exchange my terrific Scientific Atlanta Webstar modems for Arris ones in order to get the speed. So I did that, nothing. A technician just came to my house with the new Motorola offering--nothing. And now back to the Arris, and the speeds are even slower than before. I wish I would have kept the Webstars as they had send/receive leds that told me what the hell is going on.

And still these people can't get my service to the levels I'm paying. I'm super-mad that I'm paying $250+/mo and not getting the speeds that everyone else is right now.

Lark3po
Premium Member
Madison, AL

Lark3po

Premium Member

said by Samir:

After seeing this, I am pissed off to no end.

I've had the edge ever since they introduced it back in the day. I've had 3 (that's right three) cable modems with Knology for over five years now. (Need the upload bandwidth to upload photos.)

So I know about the upgrades, but I don't see the 25m/5m that I should. Tech support people told me that I had to exchange my terrific Scientific Atlanta Webstar modems for Arris ones in order to get the speed. So I did that, nothing. A technician just came to my house with the new Motorola offering--nothing. And now back to the Arris, and the speeds are even slower than before. I wish I would have kept the Webstars as they had send/receive leds that told me what the hell is going on.

And still these people can't get my service to the levels I'm paying. I'm super-mad that I'm paying $250+/mo and not getting the speeds that everyone else is right now.
Where in Madison are you located? Is the Motorola modem the SB6120? If so there is a status page you can go to and see the signal strength for each of the four channels. It may have otehr useful info that might point to your problem.

Samir
Madison, AL

Samir

said by Lark3po See ProfileWhere in Madison are you located? Is the Motorola modem the SB6120? If so there is a status page you can go to and see the signal strength for each of the four channels. It may have otehr useful info that might point to your problem.[/BQUOTE :

I'm in the subdivisions on Highland off Old Madison Pike.

The Motorola was the 5101N, which judging by the leds on the front must have the identical guts as the Arris as the LEDs just flash and don't tell you squat. The LED boot sequence is also identical to the Arris.

Here's the current signal info from each of the three modems (Arris):
RF Parameters
Downstream
Freq/Power: 585.000 MHz 4 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 37 dB
Modulation: QAM256
Upstream
Freq/Power: 33.500 MHz 47 dBmV
Channel Type: DOCSIS 2.0 (ATDMA)
Symbol Rate: 5120 kSym/sec
Modulation: QAM16

RF Parameters
Downstream
Freq/Power: 585.000 MHz 7 dBmV
Upstream
Freq/Power: 33.500 MHz 44 dBmV

RF Parameters
Downstream
Freq/Power: 585.000 MHz 3 dBmV
Upstream
Freq/Power: 33.500 MHz 48 dBmV
Samir

Samir to Lark3po

to Lark3po
I also should add that they messed up my account when switching the modems, so I was on the regular 12/2 plan until about an hour ago. I was told yesterday that I would have to wait until someone could do it and it would be done automatically. And it wasn't done, so I called tonight and was told the same thing, except they were able to do it. Now I have a 25/5 setting on each modem, but still only get around 2mb upload. This is the problem I called them about a week ago. Very frustrating...

Lark3po
Premium Member
Madison, AL

Lark3po

Premium Member

said by Samir:

I also should add that they messed up my account when switching the modems, so I was on the regular 12/2 plan until about an hour ago. I was told yesterday that I would have to wait until someone could do it and it would be done automatically. And it wasn't done, so I called tonight and was told the same thing, except they were able to do it. Now I have a 25/5 setting on each modem, but still only get around 2mb upload. This is the problem I called them about a week ago. Very frustrating...
The 2Mb upload will vary... If you are using that Moto SB5101 then you may want to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3 modem. The reason for this is that you'll have good speeds when the node is empty but not so good when the node is congested. A DOCSIS 3 modem will utilize other channels which should help your speeds on a congested node. (At least this is how it was explained to me)

marcusm88
Augusta, GA

marcusm88 to Lark3po

to Lark3po
Knology unveils 50M/5M packages. (For business customers)

»knology.com/media/pr2.cfm?id=82

Samir
Madison, AL

1 edit

Samir to Lark3po

to Lark3po
said by Lark3po:

The 2Mb upload will vary... If you are using that Moto SB5101 then you may want to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3 modem. The reason for this is that you'll have good speeds when the node is empty but not so good when the node is congested. A DOCSIS 3 modem will utilize other channels which should help your speeds on a congested node. (At least this is how it was explained to me)
It's pretty funny all the different answers that come from all the different people at Knology.

The sb5101n (supposedly an ethernet only version of the 5101) is the modem that Knology is sending out when the other modems won't hit the 5m upload. Didn't help in my case, although there may not have been enough testing done when they were installed. I did see 3m once or twice with the Motorolas which I never saw with any of the others. I don't know if having the speed is better than having activity LEDs that mean something. Someone else here has the 2100r2s and is getting the full 5m up, so I'm just going to stick with these.

I've never had node congestion issues (on upload anyways), but maybe I've got a small portion of the node to myself since I have three modems. Who knows? I wanted the 4 x 3 = 12mb upload that I would have, but I guess I'm going to settle for whatever I've got for now and demand a refund for edge each month they don't fix it.

BiGdUsTy
Panama City Beach, FL

BiGdUsTy to marcusm88

to marcusm88
50Mbps will be nice but almost everyone will need to upgrade there nat router to see those speeds. Most home nat routers have a 200Mhz cpu in them which can only handle about 30Mbps. To see that full 50Mbps you'll need a router with at least a 500Mhz cpu or greater.

Bill_F
@adtran.com

Bill_F

Anon

The Linksys WRT-320N can handle the speed.
Also it now runs DD-WRT nicely and you can flash it straight from the Linksys control panel.

mwoodj
join:2001-10-27
Madison, AL

mwoodj

said by Bill_F :

The Linksys WRT-320N can handle the speed.
Also it now runs DD-WRT nicely and you can flash it straight from the Linksys control panel.
Yep... my next DD-WRT will be a WRT-320N. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

BiGdUsTy
Panama City Beach, FL

BiGdUsTy to Lark3po

to Lark3po
I'll give that one a look myself been running and old buffalo air station with dd-wrt for a few years now.

Samir
Madison, AL

Samir to Lark3po

to Lark3po
I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who saw my posting here. He's in South Huntsville and has the exact same problem as I'm having.

He owns his own modem, so of course, they tell him its his modem. He goes out and gets the newest motorola 6120 and they tell him that they may not support that modem. They keep trying to say it's the modem, and he and I believe it is not. We don't think Knology fully implemented 5m upload speeds before advertising and offering the new service.

Lark3po
Premium Member
Madison, AL

Lark3po

Premium Member

said by Samir:

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who saw my posting here. He's in South Huntsville and has the exact same problem as I'm having.

He owns his own modem, so of course, they tell him its his modem. He goes out and gets the newest motorola 6120 and they tell him that they may not support that modem. They keep trying to say it's the modem, and he and I believe it is not. We don't think Knology fully implemented 5m upload speeds before advertising and offering the new service.
I believe it's advertised as "up to" meaning it's not guaranteed. If you need guaranteed 5Mbps up then I would suggest a business account.

marcusm88
Augusta, GA

marcusm88 to Samir

to Samir
So, did a tech ever come to your house (With his own modem) and test it?

One issue could be your modem isn't provisioned correctly and its pulling the wrong config. If you're tech savy enough, there's a java app called DocsDiag you can run to see a ton of config/status information on your modem.

This will help you find where the issue lies. But if your modem does have the wrong config there's nothing you can do to correct it. You just have to keep calling support.

Samir
Madison, AL

Samir

said by marcusm88:

So, did a tech ever come to your house (With his own modem) and test it?

One issue could be your modem isn't provisioned correctly and its pulling the wrong config. If you're tech savy enough, there's a java app called DocsDiag you can run to see a ton of config/status information on your modem.

This will help you find where the issue lies. But if your modem does have the wrong config there's nothing you can do to correct it. You just have to keep calling support.
Yes he did, and he still couldn't fix it. But I think he didn't know/care since it was a Saturday. His answers to the questions I was asking him kept changing.

It's pulling the correct config file as the 2100r2 will show the config filename under the status screen until it finishes locking on. One of the Knology tech support guys at one point told me what the correct filename was, so that's been verified.

I truly believe that Knology doesn't have the 5m upload working everywhere and are simply not telling the customers that because they don't want to lose the signups. I also think that it will be over a month before they do have it working.
Samir

1 edit

Samir to Lark3po

to Lark3po
said by Lark3po:

I believe it's advertised as "up to" meaning it's not guaranteed. If you need guaranteed 5Mbps up then I would suggest a business account.
That's the loophole that they can get around, but there is no guarantee with a business account either as I used to own one of those. It just costs more.

They're lying about the issue, and that's my take on it now. Something is wrong and they aren't trying to fix it and have proven that they don't plan to.