Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to IKinl

Premium Member

to IKinl

Re: New Comcast IPv6 Information

said by IKinl :

I still have not received an invite and it's Wednesday, is this normal?
They should all be out by Friday at 5pm ET. If you do not see one by then, send me a PM.
rvfried
join:2004-10-25
Newtown, CT

rvfried to jlivingood

to jlivingood
Is Huntsville, AL part of the trial? As a former MCI/Worldcom employee I can provide a good technical background for help/trials.

Regards,

Rich Friedlaender CNE/MCSE/CCNP.

jlivingood
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood

Premium Member

said by rvfried:

Is Huntsville, AL part of the trial? As a former MCI/Worldcom employee I can provide a good technical background for help/trials.

Regards,

Rich Friedlaender CNE/MCSE/CCNP.
Not for the native dual stack DOCSIS trial, but you could get in on the 6RD trial.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
Well I signed up to trial it..
I have an Apple Air port extreme router that can handle ipv6.
I also have Windows 7,XP and OSX 10.6.3.

So if you want me to try it, I am game.
I also have the 22/5 speed
rvfried
Newtown, CT

rvfried to jlivingood

to jlivingood
Where do I apply for the 6RD trial?

=-Rich
jus10
join:2009-08-04
Gainesville, VA

jus10

said by rvfried:

»www.comcast6.net/volunteer.php was the first step for me. Comcast later sent out another email / invite and then you sign up for access to the trials site where they ask for more info. And after that if they want to add you to a trial they will contact you I guess.

comcast6.net has news updates as new info becomes available.

I take it there is no way to know what CMTS my system is connected to without being a Comcast employee? I'm just curious if I'm Arris, Moto, or Cisco. I figure folks on Arris will have the best chance on getting in on the native ipv6 trial.

jlivingood
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to rvfried

Premium Member

to rvfried
said by rvfried:

=-Rich
As long as you registered on the trial website and completed the survey, you'll be on the list to be considered. Who gets in will depend, more than anything else, on how many 6RD-capable home gateways I can get my hands on. (Note - some users have g/w devices that can already handle this.)
rvfried
Newtown, CT

rvfried

Since I have new service, my tech is coming out tomorrow between 8-11am. Once I get my comcast email, I will sign up for the trial.

=-Rich
cambit69
join:2003-09-22
El Cerrito, CA

cambit69 to jlivingood

to jlivingood
i've submited a volunteer survey for the trial. I'm curious though if either 6RD or dual stack trials would impact latency (pos/neg) for gaming.
bigjoesmith
join:2000-11-21
Peoria, IL

bigjoesmith to jus10

to jus10
said by jus10:

If you read the 6rd internet draft, »tools.ietf.org/html/draf ··· s-6rd-03, Free started out with a /32 allocation as well and they started out by giving customers /64s. They then moved to /60s and then made the case to their RIR for a /26. I don't see why Comcast couldn't do the same thing if their trials are successful.

I also don't see a need for most people to have more than a /64 anyway and I'd probably consider that something "Comcast Business"-y. With the same logic of the multiple IPs you need business, I can see that being extended to multiple IPv6 subnets need business. Frankly, the over 200 ips a /64 gives me is more than enough.
There has been some discussion about whether the RIRs will increase allocations to ease 6RD deployments. There are indicators that the RIRs are going to be somewhat negatively inclined to increase allocations to ease 6RD deployments. (For example, quoting from the RIPE archives (where hypothetical examples were being used to demonstrate policy):
Another LIR, who has 3 million customers, intends to deploy 6rd with / 60 assignments. Currently, the IPRA would consider 3 million /60 assignments to fit into a /38, thus the default /32, while the 6rd deployment would require a /28.

Note that neither of these LIRs would qualify easily for an additional allocation under the HD-ratio rules.
I won't pretend to know what the RIR policy-makers will decide. Rather, I'm limiting my speculation to what Comcast can do with their current /31 allocation.

As for end-user requirements for something larger than a /64: it's not the number of IPs available, but rather the ability to subnet (without getting into the "wild west" of /64 subnetting) that would be attractive. I can imagine a number of situations where the subnetting available with a /60 end-user allocation would be useful.
bigjoesmith

bigjoesmith

said by bigjoesmith:

There has been some discussion about whether the RIRs will increase allocations to ease 6RD deployments. There are indicators that the RIRs are going to be somewhat negatively inclined to increase allocations to ease 6RD deployments.
Oh, and another indicator on RIR policy (at least at RIPE) is Swisscom's recent deployment of 6rd. As far as I understand, they tried, and failed, to get a larger allocation to support their 6rd plans. There was some complaining that the rules had changed since Free's re-allocation.
bigjoesmith

bigjoesmith to cambit69

to cambit69
said by cambit69:

i've submited a volunteer survey for the trial. I'm curious though if either 6RD or dual stack trials would impact latency (pos/neg) for gaming.
Well, most gaming sites probably don't have IPv6 access, so you'd access via IPv4 like you do now. If they did have IPv6 access, then dual stack latency (using native IPv6) would probably be better than 6rd, which would be better than 6to4 or Teredo. Would native IPv6 be better than IPv4? Probably not, especially given the state of today's IPv6 interconnect. But it might be close.
jus10
join:2009-08-04
Gainesville, VA

jus10 to bigjoesmith

to bigjoesmith
Well I take it Comcast's v6 addresses would come from ARIN so perhaps their view is a bit different from RIPE?

I'm kinda hoping 6RD is just a temporary bandaid. I don't see it being much of an improvement over 6to4. Sure, I'm sure its better for Comcast as they control what flows over the 6to4 translator, but as an end user Comcast firing up a local 6to4 anycast address to me would be as much of an improvement. I think from Comcast's perspective, if they could get to DS-Lite territory, they would be in the best place. Then they wouldn't need as many ipv4 addresses so they could divest themselves of that, or even charge a premium for a "legacy" v4 address. 6RD gets you on the ipv6 highway, but you have to go over the one-lane ipv4 bridge to get there.

I've been setup to run dual stack for almost a decade (I'm not sure if it would have worked in the early 00's). I'm just waiting for the switch to flip.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to bigjoesmith

Premium Member

to bigjoesmith
said by bigjoesmith:

As for end-user requirements for something larger than a /64: it's not the number of IPs available, but rather the ability to subnet (without getting into the "wild west" of /64 subnetting) that would be attractive. I can imagine a number of situations where the subnetting available with a /60 end-user allocation would be useful.
Out of curiosity, other than geek factor, what would be some real world examples of how a residential subscriber would use the ability to subnet?

steve1515
Premium Member
join:2000-08-07
Peabody, MA

steve1515

Premium Member

said by AVonGauss:

said by bigjoesmith:

Out of curiosity, other than geek factor, what would be some real world examples of how a residential subscriber would use the ability to subnet?
The user could have a DMZ on their router. This could be configured to be an isolated network.
bigjoesmith
Peoria, IL

1 recommendation

bigjoesmith to AVonGauss

to AVonGauss
Security is one factor. With IPv6, the elimination of NAT, and the IP-ization of everything, there will be a lot more Internet-accessible services in the household. I might want to put the public-facing services on a separate subnet. I also might want my wireless net on a separate subnet, especially if I've got a guest SSID available for my house guests. Another area I might want to subnet out would be home automation...once my thermostats, lights, and garage doors are all on the net, and I want to open the garage from work so the neighborhood kid can mow the lawn...I might want that stuff on a separate net.
bigjoesmith

1 edit

bigjoesmith to jus10

to jus10
said by jus10:

I'm kinda hoping 6RD is just a temporary bandaid. I don't see it being much of an improvement over 6to4. Sure, I'm sure its better for Comcast as they control what flows over the 6to4 translator, but as an end user Comcast firing up a local 6to4 anycast address to me would be as much of an improvement.
Yes, on the out-bound path, a properly configured local 6to4 relay router is essentially the same as a 6rd relay. It's on the return path that 6rd improves things significantly over 6to4. There's no saying what 6to4 relay the remote IPv6 host will use. It may end up with a very bad choice, or even a router without connectivity back. It's a much less controlled situation.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to bigjoesmith

Premium Member

to bigjoesmith
My two cents on IPv6 subnetting, I have found any smaller then /96 you run into issues. So all the IPv6 stuff I setup for my last company was like this..

/48 Company (From ARIN)
/56 for each site (one for smaller subnetting)
/64 each VLAN

the one /56 is for loopbacks, circuits, and crossconnects (not routing to the internet, blocked on firewall also)
/96's each

It pains me to put more then 2 IP's on a Point-to-Point circuit.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
I just got this email today, signed up, now what? Do I need a new modem? Or what? How exactly is this going to work?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
Start by reading the info/links in the first post of this thread.
rmturner
join:2001-10-18
Kennesaw, GA

rmturner to jlivingood

to jlivingood
This might be a stupid question, but I can't find the answer. I have 6 machines behind a router and one of them serves an accounting program and database that chokes when I enable IPv6 in the serving computer. It's like the other computers on the LAN can't decide whether to access the database IPv6 or IPv4. When I shut off IPv6 on the server, everything's fine. From what I read, at least the first trials are tunneling IPv4 over IPv6. So can I leave my server with IPv6 disabled and still access the internet with it?

I just got the acceptance email.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

I dont know how you are accessing the program, but mostlikey via an DNS name. And the DNS name is making the IPv6 look better then the IPv4 address.

What I would do is look at how it is accessing the app. if via http this is what I would do.

»server01

I would edit my host file on my laptop with

Name: IP:
server01 192.168.0.100

this way everytime i access the page or app it will always use the IPv4 address and not the other. Ping me on PM if this doesnt work for you.
bigjoesmith
Peoria, IL

1 edit

bigjoesmith to rmturner

to rmturner
said by rmturner:

So can I leave my server with IPv6 disabled and still access the internet with it?
If you are using 6rd, then the answer is yes. You will have both IPv4 and IPv6 access. So some hosts can run IPv4 only and still have the Internet access they currently enjoy.
rmturner
join:2001-10-18
Kennesaw, GA

rmturner to NetDog

to NetDog
said by NetDog:

I would edit my host file on my laptop with

Name: IP:
server01 192.168.0.100
It worked. Thanks! I'm running Peachtree Accounting 2008 on Windows7, which they don't support and have been trying to avoid the expensive upgrade.
Expand your moderator at work
rvfried
Newtown, CT

rvfried to jlivingood

to jlivingood

Re: New Comcast IPv6 Information

I am all setup with comcast - what do you need for me to take part in the trials?

=-Rich
bigjoesmith
Peoria, IL

1 recommendation

bigjoesmith to jlivingood

to jlivingood
I previously discussed the possibility of participating in a 6RD-based IPv6 deployment using only a router with a generic 6to4 implementation.

Since 6RD is based on 6to4, with a few enhancements for ISP configuration and management, there was some speculation that it would be possible to use a router with only a 6to4 implementation as part of a 6RD deployment. The details of that thought experiment are available here: »tuketu.wordpress.com/201 ··· comcast/.

I have since performed an experiment to validate this thinking. The experiment, while not definitive, suggests that the thesis may be correct: it may be possible to use a generic 6to4 router as a participant in a 6RD-based IPv6 deployment. Certain experimental limitations prevent a more definitive answer.

The full write-up is available at »tuketu.wordpress.com/201 ··· eriment/

jlivingood
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood

Premium Member

BTW, as noted at www.comcast6.net, we turned up our first native dual stack customer yesterday.
jlivingood

jlivingood to bigjoesmith

Premium Member

to bigjoesmith
said by bigjoesmith:

I have since performed an experiment to validate this thinking. The experiment, while not definitive, suggests that the thesis may be correct: it may be possible to use a generic 6to4 router as a participant in a 6RD-based IPv6 deployment. Certain experimental limitations prevent a more definitive answer.
Very interesting stuff!
sporati
join:2003-03-26
Blue Island, IL

sporati to jlivingood

to jlivingood
Should we assume that if we have not received any notification by now, that our application was denied?