spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gupp2

@embarqhsd.net

[ Embarq] Can your CenturyLink/Embarq DSL Modem handle the speed

Is your modem disigned to handle the speed of your ISP?

CenturyLink/Embarq offers 5 different DSL high speed internet connections in my area (768k, 1.5M, 3.0M, 5.0M & 10.0M).

My original connnection speed was 1.5M using the Zyxel 660 modem. I upgraded my connection to 10.0M still using the Zyxel 660 modem. It screamed with speed, but the modem would freeze up after awhile. After several hours it would work again until it freezed again.

One day while talking to customer service about this problem (After 3 replacement 660 modems) and another problem with linking my LinkSys router together , I was transfered to sales dept. to talk about purchasing their modem/router combination.

What I found out during this conversation with sales was the Zyxel 660 modem can only handle speeds up to 5.0M. I was told that someone should have caught this when I upgraded my internet speed. I was then sent a 660HW modem/router wireless G. Since then I have not had any connection problems.

You can check your ISP speed at www.speedtest.net.

If your modem drops off, maybe your modem wasn't designed for the speed your running.

I think ISP's should train their tech support people on all the hardware they carry, and I believe my issue would have been caught alot sooner.

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

1 edit

Re: [ Embarq] Can your CenturyLink/Embarq DSL Modem handle the s

That is completely false. I use the 660R on 10Mbps and it works flawlessly. I haven't had to reboot the modem in months.

Dezbend
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-20

gupp2 might have had the 660ME (and I can't recall if that was an ADSL2+ modem or not), but I would think they would have replaced that with a 660R after the first time.

I had a similar problem, and I replaced my 660 + linksys router with the gateway, and the problem stopped, but my problem lay with my router not with the modem.
--
DSLr Mafia Member
Reveal Legislation

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Embarq Now Centu..

said by Dezbend:

gupp2 might have had the 660ME (and I can't recall if that was an ADSL2+ modem or not), but I would think they would have replaced that with a 660R after the first time.
Exactly.

rabeatzzz

@embarqhsd.net
reply to gupp2

Older 660's were not ADSL2+ compatible - any newer 660R would handle 10mbps. And when I say "older" i mean pretty old. ADSL2+ can theoretically support up to 24mbps. A 660HW is not required to get 10mbps.

Go Tarheels
Premium
join:2006-01-05
Nashville, NC
kudos:1
reply to gupp2

I don't think you are looking at a modem issue. You could be looking at a line issue. Send your # to CTL_Joey (you'll have to register) to have him look at your line.

CTL_Joey

join:2008-09-22
kudos:22

1 edit

said by Go Tarheels:

I don't think you are looking at a modem issue. You could be looking at a line issue. Send your # to CTL_Joey (you'll have to register) to have him look at your line.
Yes send me your # and we'll gladly look at it.