uniqs

heh
@sbc.com

1 recommendation

heh to Platinum0

Anon

to Platinum0

Re: Just force them to have data

Because some moron would buy a smartphone without a data plan, and get a bill for $12301789. Then AT&T would get roasted for not forcing the customers into a data plan.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

2 recommendations

FFH5

Premium Member

said by heh :

Because some moron would buy a smartphone without a data plan, and get a bill for $12301789. Then AT&T would get roasted for not forcing the customers into a data plan.
You are right - that is the reason. But with almost all smartphones now supporting WiFi, the providers should let people buy voice only plans and disable data access over the 3G networks. All the smartphones with WiFi that I have seen have an option to turn OFF data access thru the cell network.

As a compromise, I would let them refuse to provide this voice only plan option to SUBSIDIZED smartphones. That is, bring your own unsubsidized full cost smartphone to the deal if you want a voice only plan.

Sabre
Di relung hatiku bernyanyi bidadari
join:2005-05-17

Sabre

That sounds like a pretty fair compromise. Shame I doubt it'll ever happen.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by heh :

You are right - that is the reason. But with almost all smartphones now supporting WiFi, the providers should let people buy voice only plans and disable data access over the 3G networks. All the smartphones with WiFi that I have seen have an option to turn OFF data access thru the cell network.

As a compromise, I would let them refuse to provide this voice only plan option to SUBSIDIZED smartphones. That is, bring your own unsubsidized full cost smartphone to the deal if you want a voice only plan.
Or, how about they simply lower their absurdly high per MB charges to something more in line with reality? How about they also make the terms of their loans to people who go on 2 year contracts clear, and thus lower monthly rates for people who bring their own phone? You know, like the rest of the world does.