Premium Member
join:2009-08-12
Denver, CO

1 edit

VirtualWorld

Premium Member

Free Router for Comcast Customers

»www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter
The other blog got a little long. Here is my "zipped" review.
Basically, some Comcast customers can receive a free router (about $79 in value) from Comcast. The models vary depending on what thay have in stock.
Some say that Comcast wants the router backif service is cancled, others say otherwise. Come order it on line (see site above) others call in. Some evidently went to the Comcast service center (Comcast charges $10 for shipping on-time). Finally, Comcast expects users to hook it up themselves. (no service call to wait for).
When I called in, they had no clue... wanted to charge me and set up a service call.
Hope that helps everyone.
The other link was closed to new entries
VirtualWorld

VirtualWorld

Premium Member

In my case, the "transmitter" on my Dlink Gamer router became intermittent (works for 10 seconds, shuts off for 20 seconds... in a cycle).
I needed one single wireless link to prevent drilling a hole in one firewall and using a 10 foot cable.

Called Comcast... they did not know anything about a free router and wanted to charge monthly and charge for a service call. After I asked them to look up the web site above... they had a free router they could order.

I then drove down to the Comcast service center on a Saturday morning. They had to my count 80 customers, many had sick and screaming kids, waiting in line for three Comcast employees to help them (out of ten counters). The ticket number I had , and a little math of one customer every three to four minutes indicated to me how sorry and expensive Comcast really is to a working person.

Microcenter had a $29 wireless router that I piggy-backed onto my sorry DLINK Game Router.

Two weeks ago, QWEST engineers stopped by to inform me about trimming a huge tree in my yard and a crew getting access through my yard to install a new box. They told me that in the pole at one corner of my back yard is the new fiber optic hub for my local area. That if I got service, I would have my back yard directly trunked with a private optic to down-town's hub.

Looks like Costco can set me up with QWest fiber optic, HD Dish, and Verison cell phones for less than half the cost of Comcast. Maybe it is time not to get the "free rounter" that Qwest includes with their service.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

1 edit

1 recommendation

beachintech to VirtualWorld

Premium Member

to VirtualWorld
This thread is a little redundant considering there is already one on the same exact subject.

1.) Free routers are ordered online : »www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter . Not picked up in a comcast store/payment center.

2.) Any HSI customer can get them - $9.95 shipping and handling. The model you get generally (from what I have seen) depends on the tier you subscribe to. The "higher end" N routers goto people with D3 tiers, the other routers goto all other D1/2 tiers.

3.) The router remains property of comcast. When you terminate your HSI service, the router is to be returned with any other comcast equipment.

4.) As of right now, we are supporting them in the field and running trouble calls for them. If it turns out to be a config issue on your computer, you are charged for the truck roll.

5.) If we install a router on a call - $149 fee for up to two computers. This means, if you can read, do it yourself and save some cash.

Hope that helps you out a little.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

3 edits

FFH5 to VirtualWorld

Premium Member

to VirtualWorld
said by VirtualWorld:

Called Comcast... they did not know anything about a free router and wanted to charge monthly and charge for a service call.
The link you provided redirects to here:
»comcast.usdirect.com/com ··· ter.html
It is a reseller of Comcast service and that offer of a free router no longer appears to be offered.

But as the post above notes, the free router appears to be offered by Comcast itself and not the reseller. »www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter

To qualify, you must currently lease a High-Speed Internet modem
or a Digital Voice modem from Comcast. Please check your bill to see if you currently lease a modem.
So, if you BOUGHT your own cable modem you don't qualify.

REP
@comcast.net

REP to VirtualWorld

Anon

to VirtualWorld
Beachintech is right. If you want keep a router then you need to buy your own, Remember to read the info when you place an order will save you time later on down the road. If your not paying comcast 149.99 to install for you then your pick the SELF INSTALL KIT that what SIK stands for and your doing it yourself.

inferno4
join:2008-07-06

inferno4

A few days after I got my free router, I purchased a modem from bestbuy. When I activated the modem, the sales rep told me I could keep the router and I would not have to return it.

beachintech
Premium Member

beachintech

Premium Member

Until you cancel your HSI service, yes.

tymir nunn
@osfhealthcare.org

tymir nunn to VirtualWorld

Anon

to VirtualWorld
want to order the free wireless router

help
@comcast.net

help to beachintech

Anon

to beachintech
so what do I need to do to help myself.

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
join:2009-09-07
Great White

1 edit

Tordek7 to VirtualWorld

Premium Member

to VirtualWorld
»www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter

Fill out all applicable information.

READ VERY CLOSELY to ensure you meet the REQUIREMENTS of the offer.

Once done, you should receive a confirmation in 24-72 hours stating that the router is being shipped. Shipping time may be 3-5 business days.
rob316
join:2005-10-17
Carteret, NJ

rob316 to VirtualWorld

to VirtualWorld
What brand name router do you get? I live in NJ, is it region specific. I have Ultra Tier, so It should get an N router correct?

beachintech
Premium Member

beachintech

Premium Member

Pretty much everyone is shipped N routers. This thread has much more info: »Free router from Comcast

This is just the redundant cousin to this thread destined to repeat history

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by VirtualWorld:

Called Comcast... they did not know anything about a free router and wanted to charge monthly and charge for a service call.
The link you provided redirects to here:
»comcast.usdirect.com/com ··· ter.html
It is a reseller of Comcast service and that offer of a free router no longer appears to be offered.

But as the post above notes, the free router appears to be offered by Comcast itself and not the reseller. »www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter

To qualify, you must currently lease a High-Speed Internet modem
or a Digital Voice modem from Comcast. Please check your bill to see if you currently lease a modem.
So, if you BOUGHT your own cable modem you don't qualify.
Untrue.

We OWN our cable modem (and have since 2001; in 2005 I bought an SB-5120 to replace the SB-4100 I bought in 2001) and got a Netgear WNR-3500-1VCNAS through this deal; in fact, it was installed by a Comcast tech out of Lanham, MD. (The router itself is less than four feet away from me, parked next to the SB-5120.)

There may be some differences within a region, however (in the Beltway Region, the Netgear is not the only router available; the Washington, DC system went with the LinksysByCisco WRT-600N).

Don't make generalizations (there can be differences between regions, or even systems within a region) as you can often come up wrong.

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
Great White

3 edits

1 recommendation

Tordek7 to VirtualWorld

Premium Member

to VirtualWorld
Click for full size
According to the information i have read.

For MOST regions;

If you do not have the 50/10 package you will most likely get;
the Netgear WNR1000v2

If you DO have the 50/10 package you will most likely get;
the Netgear WNR3500v2

As for the Linksys model numbers i'm not exactly sure. But one thing that can be said is... it is a N router.

But as the website; »www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter states;

(See attached image)

"To qualify, you must currently lease a High-Speed Internet modem or a Digital Voice modem from Comcast. Please check your bill to see if you currently lease a modem"

Edit:
PG did you pay the premium install, or were previously paying the $2 rental fee prior to the modem rate increase?

Edit 2:
Also, tech support does not configure / support / walkthrough anything to do with the linksys or netgear routers. They have their own seperate department. So if your calling looking for a WEP/WPA or any configuration or hookup support you will be transfered to them.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to PGHammer

Premium Member

to PGHammer
He's just going off of what they said exactly on their router page... it clearly states, there, that you must lease a modem to qualify..
leetoranges
join:2009-03-08
San Jose, CA

leetoranges to VirtualWorld

to VirtualWorld
I just received my router today, It came in a rather ok box, not too big. Eh Worked fine. No problems. Model was WNR1000V2 like all the other people that ordered the router.

joel mendoza
@comcast.net

joel mendoza to tymir nunn

Anon

to tymir nunn
i want to get a free wireless router

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

1 recommendation

THZNDUP to Tordek7

Premium Member

to Tordek7
I have my own modem but went ahead and ordered one thru the web. Got an email from CC about 5-6 hrs later saying the order has been received and would be shipped within 3-5 business days. Got an email 3 days later saying that since I didn't rent a modem, I wasn't qualified to receive the router.

Seems that there actually is some account checking for eligibility.

Now to see if next month's bill reflects the shipping charge.....

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to Tordek7

to Tordek7
said by Tordek7:

According to the information i have read.

For MOST regions;

If you do not have the 50/10 package you will most likely get;
the Netgear WNR1000v2

If you DO have the 50/10 package you will most likely get;
the Netgear WNR3500v2

As for the Linksys model numbers i'm not exactly sure. But one thing that can be said is... it is a N router.

But as the website; »www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter states;

(See attached image)

"To qualify, you must currently lease a High-Speed Internet modem or a Digital Voice modem from Comcast. Please check your bill to see if you currently lease a modem"

Edit:
PG did you pay the premium install, or were previously paying the $2 rental fee prior to the modem rate increase?

Edit 2:
Also, tech support does not configure / support / walkthrough anything to do with the linksys or netgear routers. They have their own seperate department. So if your calling looking for a WEP/WPA or any configuration or hookup support you will be transfered to them.
Neither; I paid $29.99 for the install of the router.

Also, as I pointed out, I've owned my own modem since 2001.

joel mendoza
@comcast.net

joel mendoza to tymir nunn

Anon

to tymir nunn
i'm a customer of comcast,and i want to use the free router.
broadbandfan31
join:2009-12-22

broadbandfan31 to VirtualWorld

to VirtualWorld
i've never used a router in my life. does this router also have inputs for wired network connections? I dont own anythign that needs wireless routing.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Most consumer grade wireless home networking routers also incorporate built in 4 port LAN switches.

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
Great White

Tordek7 to VirtualWorld

Premium Member

to VirtualWorld
Only one's that i know are Wireless Access Points ONLY or the damn SBG gateway series... lol

arturo alvar
@comcast.net

1 edit

arturo alvar to broadbandfan31

Anon

to broadbandfan31
arturo alvarez

Moderator Note: I have removed your personal information as a courtesy to you. It really is not a good idea to post personal information on a public message board. Tordek7 See Profile has given you good advice.

Now, having said that, if you wish to take the risk and decide to post personal information here again, I will not remove it. That would be your informed choice.

Sunny See Profile
Comcast HSI Forum Moderator
Expand your moderator at work

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
Great White

1 edit

Tordek7 to VirtualWorld

Premium Member

to VirtualWorld

Re: Free Router for Comcast Customers

Woah, You might not want to go posting your account information around like that.

The only place on this website that your account information may be required is the comcast direct forum »Comcast Direct

If you are having trouble getting to the »www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter then i would suggest posting in the Direct forum and they may be able to assist you in ordering it.

Posting your acct info in the public boards is inherently dangerous as anyone (including anon users) can see this information.