dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Chele
join:2003-07-23

Chele

Keeping an eye on things while on the road!

This is not really a question, just a tip for other greenhorns like myself.

We use Cacti to monitor the network, which is setup with a public IP. Cacti is also setup to send email in case of an alarm. We can see at a glance the network's status via our Iphones while on the road.

The Iphones have been "Jailbroken" and hacked to allow tethering the laptop for access to the Internet through the phone. The phones have utils like remote desktop, telnet, and ping installed.

What do you guys use/do?
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck

Premium Member

I have Nagios set up to alert me via email to my smartphone. If I am out and about I will pack my laptop and if I need access I will tether the phone to the laptop and VPN into the system.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

1 edit

Inssomniak

Premium Member

All with Iphone:

cacti with a public IP.
Dude set up to send emails
In house web based software that tells us who is on and offline
Voicemail that forwards messages to email that the iphone can play back
ssh program on iphone

Tethering computers with iphones in Canada doesnt require jailbreaking.
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01 to Chele

Premium Member

to Chele
PRTG for BH and AP monitoring (emails/texts if a problem)
Verizon Droid with VPN access to ssh,web, and ping all devices on network.
Laptop that I can tether to log in and "really" work on things from afar via RDP'ed Server.

A network that generally works helps too BUT of course we can't have everything LOL

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium Member
join:2005-02-05
Knowlton, QC

1 edit

kewlkeed to Chele

Premium Member

to Chele
Click for full size
iPhone all the way baby!

-Remote desktop
-SSH
-Ping
-Tracert
-Email/SMS/Etc alerts
-Custom web server system with quickview pages of the network status (Similar to dude, and actually powered by the same thing)

There is nothing on the grid that I can NOT control from anywhere on the planet with the iPhone. Yes annoying as it can be sometimes, but it is all possible. I'm from Canuckistan as well so tethering is permitted, but not cheap.

Screw Blackberry hehehe.

I also HIGHLY recommend the OtterBox case. Heavy plastic with rubberized grip.
Hahausuck
Premium Member

Hahausuck to Chele

Premium Member

to Chele
Those otter boxes are bad ass. When i get around to buying an Iphone I will have one.

Tethering charges are over-rated bro.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve to Chele

to Chele
Some of us have no life and never leave the house
gunther_01
Premium Member
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01 to Chele

Premium Member

to Chele
Verizon tether is an extra $15 a month I think. But of course you have to have or should have a data plan on top of that for some $30 per month.

I love paying for Internet on a device that is slower then I would give one of my customers, for the same money But than again, I live out side of my coverage area and get to pay for a cable modem also. Go figure LOL
shorthairedp
join:2005-11-21
united state

shorthairedp to Chele

to Chele
There is a world outside the coverage area? No, the earth drops off, you silly man.
gunther_01
Premium Member
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01 to Chele

Premium Member

to Chele
Just call me Christopher Columbus I guess I'm always adventuring outside the "norms" LOL
Chele
join:2003-07-23

Chele

YES, THERE really is a world outside of our coverage areas!!! Just take tiny little baby steps and you can survive, hell, maybe even thrive, out there!

All kidding aside, it's actually nice to be able to "walk away" from the job and still keep an eye on things and be able to do many things in our networks while away. Specially for those of us that are "one or two men armies".

The Iphone has made a difference in the way we do things.

AMD

There are no extra data charges(in the US) when you jailbreak the Iphone. Just don't over do it and you won't raise any suspicion from AT&T.
nevtxjustin
join:2006-04-18
Dallas, TX

nevtxjustin to Chele

to Chele
I have several Samsung Interpid (Window Mobile) phones (they debuted at CTIA last fall). The screen is half the size of an iPhone, but then I always have a laptop or netbook with me. The phones have WiFiRouter installed so I can turn the phone into a "hotpspt" and wireless tether more than one laptop to my phone.

I keep my USB data "cards" with spare laptops if I need a "vitual" DSL line at a remote POP in case a backhaul goes seriously bellyup.

Needless to say, I have a several year old legacy unlimited shared data plan.
Hahausuck
Premium Member

Hahausuck to Chele

Premium Member

to Chele
said by Chele:

YES, THERE really is a world outside of our coverage areas!!! Just take tiny little baby steps and you can survive, hell, maybe even thrive, out there!

All kidding aside, it's actually nice to be able to "walk away" from the job and still keep an eye on things and be able to do many things in our networks while away. Specially for those of us that are "one or two men armies".

The Iphone has made a difference in the way we do things.

AMD

There are no extra data charges(in the US) when you jailbreak the Iphone. Just don't over do it and you won't raise any suspicion from AT&T.
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Don't let my secret out!

Rhaas
Premium Member
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO

Rhaas to Chele

Premium Member

to Chele
I may have to break down and buy one of this iphone thingy's you all are talking about

For me it's simple - nagios which sends out text's & E-mails for monitoring the network. Cacti for statistical trending. For remote access whenever I go out of town I drag my laptop around and just pptp into the network when I need access.

anonmon
@covad.net

anonmon to Chele

Anon

to Chele
Opsview (nagios in a nice warpper for configs), to gmail accounts and a Moto Droid. And of course tethering.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to Hahausuck

Premium Member

to Hahausuck
said by Hahausuck:

Those otter boxes are bad ass. When i get around to buying an Iphone I will have one.

For another good case, I got the quattro t4 case from ivyskin, durable hard plastic with rubber grip and glass screen, works good too.
cmaenginsb1
Premium Member
join:2001-03-19
Palmdale, CA

cmaenginsb1 to Chele

Premium Member

to Chele
Nagios and Cacti for monitoring. The iphone and my fingers don't agree so for now it's any wifi enabled laptop to RDP into my "work" VM from which I can do anything I want. I have a Verizon EVDO card and a 3G router w battery for a self-contained portable hotspot.

In the future I've been thinking about the iPAD (hate the name love the gadget) as my new traveling buddy, especially when I don't need all of the features of a laptop.
Hahausuck
Premium Member

Hahausuck

Premium Member

So true Cmaeginsb. I just ordered some new Moto Droids for some people in the office here and I am curious as to how well it will work for them. One of them has hammer thumbs.