spc
Search similar:

uniqs
globus999
join:2008-05-15

globus999

Are we there yet???

Hi,
Does anybody has any idea when are we going to be finally and definitively screwed with UBB without recourse? This is, when will it be implemented and will get hit by it?
If I understood correctly, the decision is to be about 3rd week of Feb (if not sooner). Is that "IT"?
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr

See this thread for all the details »2009-261 ADSL-CO proceedings
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to globus999

to globus999
said by globus999:

If I understood correctly, the decision is to be about 3rd week of Feb (if not sooner). Is that "IT"?
My money is that whatever happens, unless the CRTC either rejects UBB or drastically limits the UBB billing rate (less than $0.10/GB), ISPs will resurrect their previous plan to bring the CRTC to court and force them to rescind their decision for failing its mandate to foster competition in a dozen different but significant ways.

So, it is most likely far from over.
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

Since the equal speed issue has been deferred to after the ADSL-Co process, perhaps the CRTC could do the same to UBB, tell Bell that it must wait for the outcome of the ADSL-CO before a decision on UBB can be made.

If you're going to retructure the whole kit and kaboodle, is there a point is implementing MAJOR changes to a tarif that is about to die anyways ?
freejazz_RdJ
join:2009-03-10

freejazz_RdJ to InvalidError

to InvalidError
I also predict a court case may come out of the UBB decision if it is unfavorable for either party, perhaps a cabinet appeal as well. But I think the chances of the court route working out are slim given the standard of review set by the court for administrative tribunals.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

said by freejazz_RdJ:

I also predict a court case may come out of the UBB decision if it is unfavorable for either party, perhaps a cabinet appeal as well. But I think the chances of the court route working out are slim given the standard of review set by the court for administrative tribunals.
In any case they will have to go through the Federal Court and the last case was not favourable to the CRTC, the only reason nothing was done was because the CRTC did not rubber stamp the decision, it was only an interim decision. If the decision is rubber stamped, there is a good chance the Federal Court will come down hard on the CRTC.
freejazz_RdJ
join:2009-03-10

freejazz_RdJ

We'll see. The court has to show a great degree of deference to the CRTC and it's guiding principles, such as the act and the policy direction. In fact, the standard of review is generally not correctness, but reasonableness. They are two very different things in law.

You will find that very few cases appealed from the CRTC's final decisions were met with success.
Jazdi
join:2009-07-06
Ottawa, ON

Jazdi

said by freejazz_RdJ:

In fact, the standard of review is generally not correctness, but reasonableness. They are two very different things in law.
That's correct. If I recall correctly, much of the MTSA/Acanac briefs were dedicated to attempting to demonstrate why the standard should be correctness, not reasonableness. There would be no case if the applicable standard was reasonableness.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by Jazdi:

There would be no case if the applicable standard was reasonableness.
There rarely is an absolute standard for correctness... most of the time you end up having to compromise between multiple standards for it.

In most cases, "reasonable correctness" is the most you can get because no two parties will agree on an absolute definition of correctness or the practicality of pursuing it. What needs defining are the limits of reasonableness.
RabbitX
join:2009-08-25

3 edits

RabbitX to globus999

to globus999
I wonder if, after a few years from now, we can see something revolutionary about UBB.

When you all become grandparents, will you tell your grandchildren about the fateful day of circa February 15th 2010 when the revolution, spearheaded by Bell and CRTC, will change the landscape of the Canadian Internet and leave the greatest contributions left in its wake?

I know I will.

IIgs
Premium Member
join:2002-10-05
Montreal, QC

IIgs to globus999

Premium Member

to globus999
said by globus999:

Hi,
Does anybody has any idea when are we going to be finally and definitively screwed with UBB without recourse? This is, when will it be implemented and will get hit by it?

If by "That is IT" you mean, Bell (with the CRTC's helpful assistance) bankrupting every last third-party DSL competitor, while at the same time destroying the very concept of the Internet for Canadian's. Well, that's a pretty big "IT". Uh, like an asteroid falling out of the sky, big!

It's anti-competitive. I'd be pretty amazed if all these businesses at the center of fire just let it happen without a massive fight, if say the decision is wrong. To say nothing of their customers. The CRTC is supposed to be there like a neutral referee, so companies like Bell play fair. NOT jump on their shoulders, grab a spear and yell charge to head the attack!
RabbitX
join:2009-08-25

RabbitX

You dare talk down about the CRTC and Bell?

How many lights do you see? THere are five lights, not four!

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

said by RabbitX:

LOL. It fits so wel.

JunjiHiroma
Live Free Or Die
join:2008-03-18
Renfrew, ON

JunjiHiroma

said by BACONATOR26:

said by RabbitX:

LOL. It fits so wel.
"They tell you 2 + 2 equals 5,not 2 + 2 equals 4." - Alex Jones
XD

CanerisErik
Caneris
Premium Member
join:2007-10-03
Toronto, ON

CanerisErik to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:
said by RabbitX:

LOL. It fits so wel.
Indeed...arguably that one was based on "How many fingers am I holding up, Winston?"
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

1 edit

2 recommendations

MaynardKrebs to IIgs

Premium Member

to IIgs
said by IIgs:

said by globus999:

Hi,

If by "That is IT" you mean, Bell (with the CRTC's helpful assistance) bankrupting every last third-party DSL competitor, while at the same time destroying the very concept of the Internet for Canadian's. Well, that's a pretty big "IT". Uh, like an asteroid falling out of the sky, big!

It's anti-competitive. I'd be pretty amazed if all these businesses at the center of fire just let it happen without a massive fight, if say the decision is wrong. To say nothing of their customers. The CRTC is supposed to be there like a neutral referee, so companies like Bell play fair. NOT jump on their shoulders, grab a spear and yell charge to head the attack!

Konrad & The Commissioners(TM) action figures are now available. See these marionette sock-puppet figures perform the most mind-numbing stunts known to mankind!! Hear them mumble incoherently as they display a stunning lack of knowledge!! See them ignore scientific facts!! Listen as they fail to perform logical reasoning!! Stare open-mouthed as they go ape-shit and screw the Canadian people!!

Now you too can exert complete control over Konrad & The Commissioners(TM) for the incredibly low price of just four easy payments of $199.95 + $8.3MM shipping & handling. Send money to account 837259 at Union Bank of Switzerland, Geneva - use the password "Mulroney".

Act Now! This time-limited offer is brought to you by Robellus - leaders in fear-mongering, obfuscation, and incoherency.

We have nothing to fear but competition itself(TM) is a registered trademark of Robellus Oligopoly Corp.
Konrad & The Commissioners(TM) is a registered trademark of Maynard G. Krebs Enterprises (Panama) Inc.
Konrad & The Commissioners(TM) bear no resemblance to reality in any way.