FastEddie

join:2000-12-29
Channel Z

3 recommendations

FastEddie to amazingm

to amazingm

Re: [WIN7] Recycle Bin

Okay. I found the fix

Seems Windows 7 won't refresh custom icons if they are .ico files. The problem was reported for beta and still does not work.

So here is what you do:

Go to Search Programs and type in regedit and then start it up by clicking on it.

Then find this key in your registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\DefaultIcon

full=%SystemRoot%\Resources\Themes\bluemoon\full.ico,0

empty=%SystemRoot%\Resources\Themes\bluemoon\void.ico,0

Second, the above key shows a comma and 0 after the example .ico files. Yours won't have the comma and 0 so you must add to make it look like the above values. So click on the reg entry (See picture below) right click it and the select modify. Now add the comma and zero then click Okay and when done exit regedit,

And that will fix the problem.

Expand your moderator at work

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

3 edits

beerbum to FastEddie

Premium Member

to FastEddie

Re: [WIN7] Recycle Bin

odd.. I do not have this issue.. I am using custom icons for the recycle bin. they are .ico files.

here is screenshot of that reg key.. note there is no " ,0 " for either key yet when I delete something the trash icon changes to the full and when I empty the recycle bin the icon reverts to the "empty" icon - no refresh needed.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

*shrug*

OutOfMem
openSUSE 11.4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11

OutOfMem to FastEddie

Premium Member

to FastEddie
I don't know much about the .ico format, but maybe it's possible to have multiple images contained within a .ico file? It looks like the ",0" means "index 1". ",1" would be "index 2", and ",2" would be "index 3", and so on.

Unless that's not how .ico files work.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by OutOfMem:

I don't know much about the .ico format, but maybe it's possible to have multiple images contained within a .ico file? It looks like the ",0" means "index 1". ",1" would be "index 2", and ",2" would be "index 3", and so on.

Unless that's not how .ico files work.
That's what I was thinking too. The default recycle bin .dll has indexes of ,-55 and ,-56.