ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN

2 edits

2 recommendations

T Mobile tower locator

Pretty surprised when I found that T Mobile shares its cell tower locations openly.

So figured I would post it to help anybody looking to go with them
»www.t-mobiletowers.com/Default.aspx (They even have pictures of most of their towers)

Their coverage map seems like it would be pretty accurate (more so than I can say for AT&Ts or Verizon maps.)

The only quibble I have..is that I think not all their towers are set for 3G, so you won't know where exactly your getting your 3G speeds from..if at all. Wish they would add that to their cell tower locator map.
--
I am hotter than phone sex with a blind girl.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Why would you use that when there is »www.t-mobile.com/COVERAGE/
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
Michigan City, IN

1 recommendation

said by Alcohol:

Why would you use that when there is »www.t-mobile.com/COVERAGE/
Um..because that doesn't list where the towers are. If people are wondering where T Mobiles towers are located then I don't see the problem here?

I never said not to use their coverage map, hell..I even talked about it in my OP.
--

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
reply to ztmike
cool. thanks.

Fobulous
Premium
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX
reply to ztmike
Very nice site indeed. Thanks!

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
Michigan City, IN
reply to ztmike
Glad I could help you guys..surprised you guys haven't heard of it. I can't remember where I found it..it was either T Mobiles official forums or a Android forum.

btw: I bought the Nexus One a couple hours ago..after work I stopped in at a T Mobile store at the local mall (non corporate owned) and asked the 2 women working there how T Mobile was in the local area and that I was buying the N1, from what I gathered from them the service is great and one of them showed me their T Mobile phone (to show me the signal and if they were getting 3G) surprising had a good signal and was doing 3G inside the mall.

The only thing that sucks is that Google doesn't give you a SIM card and at the TB store they want $20 for the SIM and then the price of the plan to get service started..$20 freaking dollars just for a SIM card..what a rip.
--

NY Tel
Premium
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY
kudos:3
reply to ztmike
Click for full size
I can see a tower in the distance....we are almost in range.
Well this map shows what I had thought.
In my area of Long Island, T-Mobile is NOT the carrier of choice.

What happens between the tower gaps? No Service.

Amazing.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

3 edits
Click for full size
Area
Click for full size
Smithtown
said by NY Tel:

Well this map shows what I had thought.
In my area of Long Island, T-Mobile is NOT the carrier of choice.

What happens between the tower gaps? No Service.

Amazing.
Its the same thing by me but i get full service everywhere. I assume that it only shows t-mobile owned towers and not leased towers. Carriers are known to lease out someone else's towers i was told.
Edit: Yeah, they could not have this type of coverage with that many towers. There are 4 new ones in Smithtown, NY area alone recently put up. You can see their coverage tool here too: »compass.t-mobile.com
It will show new towers with a pink T. Just don't zoom out farther than the 4th zoom level.
edit2: There are companies who's main thing is to build towers, who then lease the space to verizon, att, uscc, tmo, sprint, etc. Hope that clarifies what im trying to say.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
Michigan City, IN

2 edits
reply to ztmike
Do any of the other big carriers provide this kind of map info? (Just curious)
--

NY Tel
Premium
Smithtown, NY
reply to djdanska
Thanks - they must share towers with AT&T because if it were just those few measly towers, they should definitely cut Catherine Zeta Jones loose and invest in infrastructure, not commercials.
I had a Tmo phone for 4 years in 2005 -2009 and I could not keep a call while driving in my car. Luckily I also have a Verizon personal cell.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
said by NY Tel:

Thanks - they must share towers with AT&T because if it were just those few measly towers, they should definitely cut Catherine Zeta Jones loose and invest in infrastructure, not commercials.
I had a Tmo phone for 4 years in 2005 -2009 and I could not keep a call while driving in my car. Luckily I also have a Verizon personal cell.
I don't know but when i looked in your area, i saw TONS of new towers just being added. I'm talking a LOT! I could only imagine how service was before they added these! (And when they show them on compass, it means it was added within a month or so usually.)
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

NY Tel
Premium
Smithtown, NY
They would have to because Sprint, AT&T and Verizon all have pretty solid coverage here.
In midtown Manhattan there is good coverage also so i guess they saved the suburbs for last.
Makes you wonder how the rich and famous out in the Hamptons here get cell service.

When I get invited to one of their homes to a smart dinner party, I will post the results....

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
Michigan City, IN

3 edits
reply to ztmike
No new towers added for my surrounding area it seems (zip 46360)

But the lady at the T Mobile store said that T Mobile just did upgrade my area for 3G this past December.

It should be interesting to see how my service is once I get my N1 and get it activated.

I know from looking at the map that there is a tower like a 1/2 mile from where I work and at home there is one also like a 1/2 mile away.

Is it true that for a cell tower that if your under it that you will get a "umbrella effect" where your signal will be crap? How far away does that effect the user? You would think they would add a booster or whatever it is that points downward so this wouldn't happen..
--

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
Cant' say i had that experience before. I've been under towers before and never had any issue. (With the exception of the top floor of sears tower. I got good service on the west side of the observation floor, but the east side had NO service and really confused my phones. I don't expect my phone to work very well on the top floor of one of the tallest buildings in the country!)
--
Alden Nowlan

NY Tel
Premium
Smithtown, NY
There is some truth to the umbrella effect but I am not an RF engineer.

»www.testfreaks.com/blog/informat···-towers/

Eddy Strong

join:2001-08-29
Naples, FL
reply to ztmike
No wonder they're so bad on my area... only 1 tower and it's like 30 to 40 mins from my location!

K.U. Sweet 16
Premium
join:2001-02-15
Wichita, KS
kudos:1
said by Eddy Strong:

No wonder they're so bad on my area... only 1 tower and it's like 30 to 40 mins from my location!
This site does not include co-op towers, or buildings that Tmo is located on.

uroberto

join:2001-05-01
Piscataway, NJ
reply to ztmike
This site »www.antennasearch.com will give you all the towers around you regardless of carrier.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
Michigan City, IN
said by uroberto:

This site »www.antennasearch.com will give you all the towers around you regardless of carrier.
That doesn't list what carrier is on the tower..kinda useless.
--

uroberto

join:2001-05-01
Piscataway, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by ztmike:

said by uroberto:

It's just a cell tower database. As mentioned before, multiple carriers can be on a single tower.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
Michigan City, IN
said by uroberto:

said by ztmike:

said by uroberto:

It's just a cell tower database. As mentioned before, multiple carriers can be on a single tower.
Yes I know, but what's the point if it doesn't give the names of the carriers?
--

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX
said by ztmike:

What's the point of a map of Tmobile's towers if it doesn't list leased towers? Both are incomplete...

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
Michigan City, IN
said by Thespis:

said by ztmike:

What's the point of a map of Tmobile's towers if it doesn't list leased towers? Both are incomplete...
Okay..but how do you know for sure they don't list all their towers?

I find it hard to believe T Mobile would have more towers in my town than what is shown on the website I posted.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Thespis
said by Thespis:

said by ztmike:

The link the original poster posted is for people interested in leasing space on a t-mobile owned tower. Why would they include leased towers? (Towers they don't own). They would be advertising other towers for people to go on vs. their own. It is not meant to be a coverage tool by any means.
--
Alden Nowlan

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
Michigan City, IN
said by djdanska:

said by Thespis:

said by ztmike:

The link the original poster posted is for people interested in leasing space on a t-mobile owned tower. Why would they include leased towers? (Towers they don't own). They would be advertising other towers for people to go on vs. their own. It is not meant to be a coverage tool by any means.
Um..no.

Why would I advertise for T Mobile? Nobody here knows for sure that they don't include all towers that T Mobile uses.

K.U. Sweet 16
Premium
join:2001-02-15
Wichita, KS
kudos:1
said by ztmike:

Um..no.

Why would I advertise for T Mobile? Nobody here knows for sure that they don't include all towers that T Mobile uses.
I can tell you FOR SURE that the site linked does not include all cell sites that Tmo uses.

JimNorton

@windstream.net
Ditto on not showing all the towers. 2 cities near me (zip codes 40475, and 40403) both have native T-Mo coverage, yet the nearest tower is roughly 45 miles away according to that map. Also I find it hard to believe a city the size of Lexington,ky has only the 4 t-mo cell sites that are listed.