clevere1
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

GFI outlets keep popping for no reason?

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could provide any insight/advice.

I have two GFI outlets in my kitchen. One popped for no apparent reason about a month ago.

The other one popped last night. No one was using anything and there was no water near the outlet. It just popped. I reset it with no problem.

The wall these outlets are in, 1 is an inside wall, the other an outside all. No apparent water leakage anywhere ..

The house was built in 2002. Do GFI outlets "go bad" ... is there something I'm missing? I'd rather not have an electrican come out if I can help it. But I will if needed.
--
Where's th' DAFFY DUCK EXHIBIT??

rcbrcb
Premium
join:2007-02-21

Are both of these outlets on the same circuit? If so, I think you may have an issue somewhere that should be checked out by an electrician. I would say that both going bad clsoe together is a stretch.....

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
kudos:3

I agree with your post, however the idea that 2 gfi outlets went bad within a certain time frame can happen.
For example our access control system that I admin at my office had a string of keyfobs break within a 2 week period. I didn't suspect an issue because these keyfobs belongs to techs who can be hard on gear.
However when mine and another person had the same issue within a few days of each other it clicked.
--
Getting it Done.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none

1 recommendation

reply to clevere1

did they go bad, or just trip? it is possible that someone wired in a an exterior outlet off the load side of the GFCIs, then you got moisture in the outlets. outdoor, garage, or bathroom outlets SHOULD be on their own circuits but not always. they should never be on teh kitchen counter circuits, but often are.

did you press the reset button?
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to clevere1

It's a problem to daisy-chain GFI's - if they are on the same circuit; that can cause nusiance trips all on it's own...

If they are on seperate circuits; are there any other outlets downstream? Anything plugged in there, maybe a lamp with CFL's? There's been annicdotal information about certain CFL's causing GFI's and AFCI's to trip...

Failing that - if you reset it, and it held; I wouldn't give it too much thought, unless it started happening more frequently...

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to clevere1

GFI outlets do go bad, however a more common issue is NOT to interrupt when they should. They can pop out of nowhere for a variety of reasons (since they are very sensitive), most common being electromagnetic noise.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

1 recommendation

reply to clevere1

My experience has been that they normally trip for a reason. If they protect other outlets, those need to be investigated as well.
I've found that what most people attribute to "nuisance tripping" is in fact a real ground fault; typically in the "leakage" range.
Do you test them monthly? (nobody does, but it's a good habit to start)

It is certainly possible for GFCI receptacles to fail, but it usually deserves further investigation.
--
Looks like Reverend Wright got his wish - God Damn America.
Nancy Pelosi - House Minority Leader 2010
Harry Reid - Senate Minority Leader 2010

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to clevere1

I had a problem with a GFI breaker that kept tripping a couple of years ago. It'd trip and I'd reset it, and then it would trip again in a few minutes. it finally got so bad that it wouldn't reset at all. I had a friend (electrician) look into it and he found the problem after a bit of head-scratching. He discovered that the outside outlet on the back of my house was open to the weather. The cover wasn't closed completely and we'd had a lot of wind and rain the night before. About fifteen minutes with a hair dryer solved the problem. Just had to dry out the receptacle... and make sure the cover was closed completely.
--
Sometimes I think it's a shame... When I get feelin' better when I'm feelin' no pain

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to clevere1

Any ham radio operators in your neighborhood? AM radio stations? Close proximity to RF will trip older GFIs. Newer GFIs are properly shielded and RF filtered.

I had to replace a bunch of the older ones (ca 1998) from my house because they kept popping every time I keyed the mic.

Dogwood
Premium
join:2001-01-14
Texas
reply to clevere1

Check for a loose connection.
I just found the Line and Load Hot screws loose after a kitchen GFIC tripped a couple of times, with nothing plugged into it, or a downstream outlet.
--
Proud Member of Team Discovery

austinmv

join:2010-02-06
reply to clevere1

GFI's go bad. odd that 2 went @ the same time but i've replaced tons for customers and it fixed the problem. there could be some other leading causes but i would replace both first b4 any other troubleshooting. you may just save yourself some time and headache

clevere1
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA
kudos:1
reply to clevere1

Thanks All. I will replace the receptacles first, and then go from there.
--
Where's th' DAFFY DUCK EXHIBIT??