Eliton

join:2010-01-10
Pottsville, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Eliton

Re: [Connectivity] Disconnections every other day

No disconnections today. Although I did get a phone call from Comcast concerning my bandwidth usage. They said I went over and if I do it again I'll be terminated for a YEAR!!

So I just downloaded a bandwidth meter and installed it on all of my computers. I was unaware of a bandwidth cap when I signed up. So this is news to me. He said something about using peer to peer programs (Googling this brings up things like limewire which I have never used) so I don't know. Possible my disconnections / modem change did something?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

1 edit

said by Eliton:

Possible my disconnections / modem change did something?
Nah. If one exceeds the limit they are usually a power user that knows exactly how/why ..

Eliton

Pottsville, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Well I talked it over with my other family members that are on the same connection and they said that they were doing ALOT of downloading in Jan. (they had Christmas money and waited for after-Christmas deals on movies/games etc)

So that explains it. They never knew of a bandwidth cap. Comcast should explain this when you signup so you don't go off and start feeling like you can do whatever.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

said by Eliton:

Comcast should explain this when you signup so you don't go off and start feeling like you can do whatever.
Agreed.

Eliton

Pottsville, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Well I asked the guy what can I do to prevent it from happening and he said to find a bandwidth meter. He also said that my router could have a built in meter but I don't see anything. I heard there was a firmware change I could do (Tomato is what I see on the forums here) but I'm not sure if my router is supported.

So I'm currently using NetWorx to count all of my usage on my computers. But its still a pain. I wish I could simply log on to Comcast.net and get my usage directly from them. I can call them on the phone to find it, but that is a real PITA.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 edit

CC will be providing a bandwidth consumption meter before too long. It is currently being tested in a certain area.

Go here »www.polarcloud.com/tomato and see if the router is supported.

Eliton

Pottsville, PA

I have a Netgear WGR614v8. I don't see it listed so I guess it isn't supported?

Eliton

Pottsville, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Just want to give everyone an update, no disconnections yet.
I am making a chart that will document all of my "transferred" files to the other computers on my LAN.

This is because the bandwidth meter I chose measures ALL of the "incoming traffic" and all "outgoing".

So basically just deduct what the amount I sent and that's how much I have used.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1

Is your wireless network secured?

Eliton

Pottsville, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

Yes. I have a PW on it. But I still can't believe I went over the limit. It's crazy. What I don't like (also) is that I called Comcast and the tech was very friendly. He told me how the "system" works. He says if it happens again they will toggle me. Ok... this confused me, BUT made me happy. I was like cool. Atleast you don't terminate me.

So he said "oh, if you want 'MORE' information on what I ALREADY gave you, then call this number 1-888-565-4329 and speak to them".

So I did and got some Indian that was VERY cocky and mean. He's like "this conversation isn't going anywhere". And then I repeated what the Rep said in the beginning and then he cuts me off and says "those people aren't informed -- they don't know ANYTHING".

I was very angry at how he treated me like crap.

Eliton

Pottsville, PA

2 edits

delete post pls

Eliton

Pottsville, PA

Hey NerdBurg, is Comcast business available in Pottsville? That has no bandwidth limits.

Eliton

Pottsville, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Okay. So since because I live in Llewellyn, my address isn't coming up in the USPS therefore Comcast business service locator automatically denies me. Doing Blu Tavern's address (which has a Pottsville zipcode) comes up OK. So which means I should be good for the move to business class. I don't see why not.

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA

You should be fine. Llewellyn addresses often show up as unserviceable. You should be fine though. If you can't get someone to set it up for you over the phone, the girls at the office can get it set up for you.
--
[Insert Comcast employee disclaimer here.]

Eliton

Pottsville, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Thanks very much Nerd for the confirmation. I request a "consultation" and that someone should call me tomorrow in the morning.

So if the people on the phone can't help me, I'll just run over to the office. I'll be over there anyway tomorrow for other things.

Eliton

Pottsville, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Comcast called today. The guy was very friendly. He says once my business class is setup, they will automatically cancel my residential service. (good, no extra work for me)

Also A-OK on the no bandwidth cap, which was my main concern.

He says I'll be getting a Gateway. So, has anyone had any problems with a gateway from Comcast? I know its a router+modem with some security features included, which is always nice.

Eliton

Pottsville, PA

Ok. The surveyor just left at 12:40ish EST. Doesn't know when installation will begin.. but surprised at how quick he got here. I placed the order yesterday. So hopefully tomorrow? lol

Elition

Eliton

Pottsville, PA

Not getting it installed today. Winter-Wonderland out there LOL.

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA

First time in my 8 years at Comcast that work got called off for weather.
--
[Insert Comcast employee disclaimer here.]

Eliton

Pottsville, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

LOL. Yeah that's what I guessed. Well while you got the day off (lol) what do I need to do so that I won't lose my current residential email accounts? (Comcast.net addys)

I called the business sales guy (Chris) but their weather is bad down there too (York) so he can't call me back cause he wasn't in his office today to listen to my message.

That's my only problem at this point. Hopefully they can put a note on my current residential service to switch the accounts over to the new business class.

Eliton

Pottsville, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits

I got my Comcast bill and it looks like they charged me for what this whole thread was originally created for:

»i46.tinypic.com/11snx45.png

I upgraded to the 8 Mbps in January and that was like an extra $15. Which is why I went with it.

So now my bill is $63.66 -- what gives? It says "service call" $39.70. The tech put a lil filter on my line.

EDIT: Possibility is that my "promotional price" ended this month and that the extra $12 is the basic cable TV.

Eliton

Pottsville, PA

Also, Comcast said they are going to give me an "IP Gateway". I'm not that knowledgeable on how those things work..

Will all of my computers be able to connect via DHCP by default? Or do I have to do everything manually with a static IP?

Eliton

Pottsville, PA

Comcast is coming Monday.

Eliton

Pottsville, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

I just got disconnected last night. I checked my new (but same brand) modem signals and yep.. time it reset was 7 hours ago. Around 2 or 3 am last night when my sister told me she got d/ced.

So I'm really confused now. I sure hope the "IP Gateway" for the business class doesn't pull this on me. I saw a $20 modem on NewEgg. But after reading on how its confusing and somewhat "hard" to get the tech to provision a residential modem for you. I'll probably be better off sticking with the Gateway.

Now can someone explain if I can continue to use my router with the gateway? I have wireless connected computers around the house and would hate to have to string ethernet cords through the walls.