Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

You have to love the

rain. freezing rain, sleet, and snow mix...

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
Nothing here yet! But weather.com says to expect 4-6" by tomorrow. This system, like the one before it, appears to be worse, the further south you go. As a matter of fact, the weather alert says the most affected area will be from the Ohio Turnpike, south. And we're just east and north of the turnpike. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
--
Sometimes I think it's a shame... When I get feelin' better when I'm feelin' no pain

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to CylonRed
Just started snowing here about 3:30. Roads are just beginning get white. Can still see the pavement in most places.

On a lighter note:
I have a neighbor who left for Floriduh last week (for two weeks) to escape the bad weather... they're in the Tampa-St.Pete area where the tornado warnings are posted this afternoon. There is justice in the world!
--
Sometimes I think it's a shame... When I get feelin' better when I'm feelin' no pain

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed
We have had snow since about 9 am or so I think. Seemed to have less sleet and freezing rain but that is ok with me...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

LadyL
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH
reply to CylonRed
Started at 4 or so, lake effect type. Past 45minutes it's been blowing like crazy. Streets, driveways, rooftops, etc. are now all white. Maybe 1/2 -1" so far...more on the way. *sighs*
--
Lonnie

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
We don't have any wind to speak of. The snow is faling steadily, and the flakes are very small, but there's a hell of a lot of them.
--

LadyL
Premium
Lorain, OH
Still blowing here...so far 2" everywhere. They predicted maybe 4".
--
Lonnie

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to CylonRed
Weather service just upgraded our Winter Weather Advisory to a Winter Storm Warning with a forecast of 6-12" by Friday noon. Looks like about 4" out there right now. And it's started blowing quite a bit.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Have fun - we started with the warning... Just north of us in Darke County they had 12 inches of snow at 11 last night.

Wendi says we have 3 inches - probably more like 5 or so. South of 70 it was a very wet snow so it compacted when it fell - if it was fluffier I would say we would have 10 inches.

I need to find our camera USB cable to upload some pictures...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
nm

LadyL
Premium
Lorain, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
The first pix looks similar to my place. The drifting snow looks like the typical sandstorms on the Sahara. No city plows have been around here as yet. Getting onto the street where my garage faces is impossible unless you have a pickup with a plow. Hope my son gets here ok from Amherst to plow my driveway - snow is halfway up the garage doors. Snow is probably only 4", but with all the drifting snow, it is higher in places. Can't exit from any of the 3 doors in my house - the drifting snow has reached all 5 steps at each door Since I don't plan on going anywhere I'm not worried...but I just don't like being 'trapped' like that at all.
Winds just picked up again. Whatever snow was on the house and garage rooftops are all clear...everything is on the driveways, streets and lawns !
There are now a few people out with shovels and snowblowers trying to do their sidewalks and driveways...but the wind is just putting it all back again.
--
Lonnie

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to CylonRed
We seem to have ended up with about 8" or so. I just got in from clearing the drives. Had to break out the Cub, though. Too much and too heavy for the Toro. I got them clean enough that the sun is now finishing the job.

I just measured the snow at the edge of the driveway... 9"!!! That's the most we've gotten at one time, in a long time.
--

LadyL
Premium
Lorain, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
Son just spent 1 hr w/truckplow, my snowblower and shovel doing my driveway and from garage to backdoor.
He's been plowing since 6Am from his house, getting many cars out of ruts, plowing his f-in-law's driveway, sister's small driveway, mine...and is now doing my nextdoor neighbor's driveway (they are in their 80s).
Also just saw a city plowtruck go up & down the next street over...salt too *rolls eyes*
Still windy and more lake effect-type snow. *sighs*
--
Lonnie

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1
reply to CylonRed
Well, I found out that snow in Ohio sucks... I was in Darke county for work. Had a setback and I was still working when the snow started. After about two hours I was soaked head to toe through all of my carhartt gear.

Then I got to drive back to iowa in that mess...
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed
And it looks like more fun today thru Wednesday with a possible 8 more inches over the next 3 days.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
Yep... they've already posted a Wnter Storm Warning for noon tomorrow to 7 pm. Wednesday. Round 2 is on its way! Everything up here is pretty-well cleared. Some snowy spots on the side streets here and there, but the main roads are all clear and most streets are clear and dry.

It was colder than all getout this morning about 8 o'clock, though. The thermometer in the car read 2 when I drove to get my quarterly bloodwork done. It's warmed up into the 20's this afternoon.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Our residential streets are still pretty bad - most had a 5 inch layer of pretty solid ice - if we have 3 inches by morning I don't think the schools will be open. Most of the residential roads are still pretty narrow.
--
Brian

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
We never got the freezing rain before it started snowing. Ours was all snow, so the plows could do a pretty decent job of getting the roads cleared. The fact that we've had a couple of days of bright sunshine after the snow stopped sure helped get things cleared off the roads.

I did notice the small city trucks were still cruising the neighborhoods today, trying to scrape everything right down to the pavement. Just a few patches, here and there, remain that are not clean and dry. The one thing I have to say for this little community... they do an excellent job of getting the roadways cleared after any appreciable snow. Spots that they couldn't get scraped clean were cindered and salted. They seem to use the heavy dump truck plows to make initial passes to get the roads passable, then they go around with the smaller pickup trucks with plows to finish up along the curbs. I can't complain about the job they do...except for the year they took out 6 mailboxes on our street one night. But the city came out in a couple of days and replaced them all.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Light fluffy snow to the tune of about another 2.5 - 3inches this morning. All of the schools are closed as expected.
--
Brian

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to CylonRed
let it snow let it snow..

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
I think we are going to get another 3 or so inches for a total of close to 6 inches from the way it looks. We still have half of the storm to go through...
--
Brian

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
I have been stuck in a safe warm spot for a while now.. haven't even been outside or looked outside.. Hence I chuckle at the idea of snow, ice, sleet.

I'd rather be out there, then in here though.
--
Care Bear This: If anything I say offends you, then you have a problem. As I am a stranger to you, so my words should have zero emotional impact on you. If they do, please seek help from Dr. Phil.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to CylonRed
It really just started to snow, here, about an hour ago. very fine, dry, snowflakes... almost invisible. In fact, it looks more like it's just foggy as opposed to actually snowing. The street has a light dusting on it so far, but my driveway, strangely enough, doesn't have anything on it at all. I guess being very black, the drive absorbed enough heat to melt what has fallen so far.

As of this morning, only a handful of schools announced closings, and they are all south of here. The local forecast is for 6-9" the last I looked. Based on what I see outside now, it's going to have to pick it up considerably to get that kind of accumulation by tomorrow if it continues at this rate. I'm not complaining... mind you. Just making an observation. I'm just glad I finally threw off this damn cold I've had since New Year's Day. The last week is the first I've felt like a human being this year.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Looks like the snow is almost gone now.... For us...

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
Well, they've downgraded the Winter Storm Warning to just a Weather Advisory... so they've closed damn near all the schools in the area for tomorrow. The weather service is predicting only 1-3" of new snow by tomorrow noon. I guess everyone felt cheated out of a day off since the last blast hit on the weekend!

We've only gotten about an inch, or so, more today and tonight. Not that I'm complainin' or anything.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
2nd day of school being closed - windchills about 0. Got another half inch over night. Back roads are a joke but the main ones are ok - be some ice on them but not black ice.

That would be about 6.5 inches officially I think for this storm.
--
Brian

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
We got about 3" overnight. Roads are a mess. had to take the Impala in for service at 9 am. and even though the plows had made a pass or two, the roads were a veritable skating rink. Very little traffic on the roads. I just got in from doing the drives... s'posed to get windier this afternoon.
--

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to CylonRed
Well, after snowing all day and dumping another 3" or so on the ground, it has finally quit snowing here. I did the drives twice today!

It was kind funny, following the weather radar... the bulk of the storm went through last night, but then it seemed to turn around and take another swipe at us during the day today.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed
Looks like we are getting our 3rd big storm in as many weeks - pretty unusual for SW Ohio. From the forcast it looks like it will not necessarily go north.

While at the IL's house their NWS radio went off to upgrade the watch to a warning - snow starting early monday. 5-8 inches or more with gusting winds.

quote:
Winter storm warning in effect from 4 am Monday to 6 am est tuesday,
The NWS in wilmington has issued a winter storm warning for heavy snow, which is in effect from 4 am monday to 6 am est Tuesday. The winter storm watch is no longer in effect.
Snow is forecast to develop overnight tonight as a storm system moves toward the middle Ohio valley. Snow, heavy at times, is expected on Monday. Snow will diminish in coverage and intensity monday night. Total snowfall accumulations of 5 to 9 inches are expected, with locally higher amounts.
--
Brian

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
We have a Winter Weather Advisory posted for 12 noon tomorrow for 3-5" by Tuesday noon. Looks like it'll stay south of us, though.

--