spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JK123

@gblx.net

[CenturyTel] CenturyLink DSL (2-wire) - Want Modem/Router Advise

I've had 'dial-up' for over a decade and recently signed up CenturyLink DSL (PPPOE 2-wire connection) and want to use my own Modem/Router unit. Netgear RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Router +DSL Modem DGND3300 has my interest but also interested in any advise on what modem/Router combos work best. Thanks for any advise.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

Re: [CenturyTel] CenturyLink DSL (2-wire) - Want Modem/Router Ad

I'd shy away from a "combo" unit due to the fact that modem technology changes much slower than router technology.
In a year or two, I'll bet Wireless-N is old hat.
Any ADSL2+ modem / router should work with CenturyTel.

In the past 6 years, I've had two modems and four routers.
--
Looks like Reverend Wright got his wish - God Damn America.
Nancy Pelosi - House Minority Leader 2010
Harry Reid - Senate Minority Leader 2010

jk123

@Level3.net
reply to JK123

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, the technology changes faster with part of a combo compared to the other part. The combo is okay since I would change the unit and my computer over time anyway, if not due to the unit's death, then simply to upgrade. CenturyLink users knowing what units work better with DSL saves me wasting money and time experimenting. Thanks for the feedback - any advise on what brands and models seem better with CenturyLink?

Grentz

join:2004-06-08
reply to JK123

They really all work very similarly. As long as it is a quality modem, it will work well with CenturyLink. They all have to work with the same standards and technologies.

I use a D-Link modem personally and it works great. But I have had no issues with zyxel, dlink, or 2wire modems.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to JK123

I used Netopia and Speedstream. I had to get the Netopia to enjoy full ADSL2 speeds and handle the routing of my static IP's.
Both worked well with CenturyTel's service.

kaosrain

join:2007-11-25
reply to JK123

I just signed up for CenturyTel/CenturyLink DSL. Something to keep in mind is that if you do not use one of their official modems, they won't give you tech support for your modem.

I couldn't connect because some wiring in my house was bad, but they just kept telling me it was my modem and they couldn't help me. I eventually told them I was using one of their modems, and they figured out the wiring was bad and sent someone out.