Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

Re: 2010 Modem Poll

Motorola SB5100 6 years running now. One of the best internet modems I've ever used and only modem I've used for HSI thus far.

When D3 gets here, I'll probably get a SB6120 or 6180. Maybe I'll end up with an ARRIS 702G since I have CDV too.

Interesting poll, Johkal!

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to Johkal

Arris TM702G

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Johkal

SB5101, got it because when we moved the rep on the phone stated it would take 72hrs to move our 4220 from CT to NJ.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Thade

join:2009-12-16
Orlando, FL
reply to Johkal

Had the SB6120 for 8 months, still rock solid

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to Johkal

why is teryon listed so many times

ca tech

join:2009-12-30
San Pablo, CA

said by Anonymous_:

it is so bad no one option can contain the suck that is terayon*

*or maybe comcast westbay has a stock of terayons that are so old they have forever colored my opinion of them..... but they suck something fierce.

on a un-related note i wonder what the numbers of modems that comcast has in actual service, i know from my installs that any d3 modem makes up far less than 10% of the installs, with the thompson and sa models being the most common

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

1 edit
reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

They are? I only see four Terayon Modem's listed.
--
You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Johkal

I have a 6120 now, but would still be using my 5120 if the latest firmware didn't f-up the modem by causing reboots during uploads.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Johkal

wow i didnt know comcast had that many Arris modems/MTAs.

always figured it was simply 402g, 502g, 602g, 702g
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to Johkal

I'm still using the SB5100 I purchased about 6 years ago. Nearly every time I've had a service issue Comcast has badgered me to lease one of their modems but I have refused. Nearly every time they will claim that the problem is my modem but it is clearly not because it still works great. They've even tried to claim it was their property a couple of times and I've had to take the receipt of purchase to them on multiple occasions.

Now using it on the 12/2 service.
--
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
- Stephen Hawking

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9
reply to Anonymous_

I see the double listing for the Terayon TJ715x. I missed that.

It was built from Comcast's list of Approved Modems and they have it entered twice.

Ref: »customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQVi···upport=1
--
Write me up a 125.......I Can't Drive 55 »redrocker.com/ »cabowabo.com/

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8
reply to Oedipus

Arris TM702G here!

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to ca tech

said by ca tech:

said by Anonymous_:

*or maybe comcast westbay has a stock of terayons that are so old they have forever colored my opinion of them..... but they suck something fierce.

at lest it does not choke when using Bittorrent maxed it out at 4,096 Connections before

Pepsiman

join:2002-01-18
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Johkal

I am using the SBV6220 Docsis 3.0 which was installed by Cable Vision yesterday Friday 02/05/10 at 7:30pm due to slow dl speeds for over 4 months at peak times 6:00pm to 1:00am, so far it's working good.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

1 edit
reply to ca tech

said by ca tech:

said by Anonymous_:

on a un-related note i wonder what the numbers of modems that comcast has in actual service, i know from my installs that any d3 modem makes up far less than 10% of the installs, with the thompson and sa models being the most common
I had a TJ715x for a few years and it seemed to work okay. It did run quite hot though.

Since then, I've used a BEFCMU10 v4 and a SB5101, which is my current modem.

The 6120 seems to be quite popular .
--
KI6RIT

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA

I use an Actiontec R7000M...

...but it's not a cable modem :P

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
League City, TX

1 edit
reply to Johkal

5101 here its a great modem. I plan on keeping it even if they have Docsis 3.0 because 16/2 is plenty for me.

Power boost sure is nice.
--
Team Discovery-Join the fight

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA
reply to Johkal

You don't list the Ubee. Model #U10C035 is what I am running.
--
My grandkids ARE cuter than yours!

MadMANN3
Premium
join:2005-08-19
reply to Johkal

Jokal, are you trying to see what the tech savvy or gamer-type subs are using or trying to get an accurate slice of the general sub population? The reason I ask is because it seems like a significantly higher percentage of subs on this board are using D3 modems, according to the results so far. The majority of regulars here, in my guess-timation, represent the more tech savvy "bandwidth junkies". I would think that "real world" usage would reflect a majority of subs on basic tiers and not having D3 modems.

Just my $.02 not knowing who the poll is targeting.

ca tech

San Pablo, CA

i agree i said as earlier on here you would think just about everyone has a d3 modem but in truth for my installs i might have used 2 a month if that

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

1 recommendation

reply to MadMANN3

It's just a general Poll that was requested. I'm not interested in the results myself.
--

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

I think the 6120 is so popular as this board is populated mostly by tech-heads and others that always go for the newest...

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
League City, TX

2 edits

I would vote its a outstanding brand for cable modems as most of the Motorola Surfboards are bullet proof people decide to go with the same brand. Lots of areas are getting Docsis 3.0 or about to so they are just getting prepared.
--
Team Discovery-Join the fight

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL

2 edits
reply to Johkal

What dose (SIP) mean next to Arris TM602G? Also (NCS)? How do I know which one I have? I already voted though.
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.

MagilaGorila

join:2009-12-08
Falmouth, MA
reply to Johkal

Not sure if EMTA's and standalone modems should be in the same cat, no biggie though

HD Triple play/blast install came with TM702G [even got with the battery backup]
Effortless install even after I mated it with a NG35001nas

Been averaging 20-24mb down 6 up

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
reply to Johkal

I'm using a Cisco DPC3000. Had been using the Moto SB5100 for years. It was a dependable modem. I upgraded to DOCSIS 3(22/5 service) a few months ago and now am renting and that's what they gave me.
I will probably buy one(SB6120 ?) soon however and stop paying the rental fee.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to heat84

said by heat84:

What dose (SIP) mean next to Arris TM602G? Also (NCS)? How do I know which one I have? I already voted though.
SIP (Session Initiation Protocol)
Ref: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_In···Protocol

NCS (Packet Cable)
Ref: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PacketCable

As for which one you have, I do not know
--

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Thanks. How could I found out which one I have? Why do you have you have separate choices for them? Why is it a significant differentiation?
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.

ca tech

San Pablo, CA

said by heat84:

Thanks. How could I found out which one I have? Why do you have you have separate choices for them? Why is it a significant differentiation?
look on the sticker that is on the back or bottom of the modem, and in theory they all work the same assuming they are d2 or the same if they are d3 in practice some models are just better at working with sub optimal signal or always push the upper end of the speed tier better, in the end they all get the job done it is all about perception.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

said by ca tech:

said by heat84:

look on the sticker that is on the back or bottom of the modem, and in theory they all work the same assuming they are d2 or the same if they are d3 in practice some models are just better at working with sub optimal signal or always push the upper end of the speed tier better, in the end they all get the job done it is all about perception.
These are "Protocols that have nothing to do with addressing "sub optimal signal levels" & "speed".
--