Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to MadMANN3

Re: 2010 Modem Poll

It's just a general Poll that was requested. I'm not interested in the results myself.
--
Write me up a 125.......I Can't Drive 55 »redrocker.com/ »cabowabo.com/

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

I think the 6120 is so popular as this board is populated mostly by tech-heads and others that always go for the newest...

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

2 edits

I would vote its a outstanding brand for cable modems as most of the Motorola Surfboards are bullet proof people decide to go with the same brand. Lots of areas are getting Docsis 3.0 or about to so they are just getting prepared.
--
Team Discovery-Join the fight

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL

2 edits
reply to Johkal

What dose (SIP) mean next to Arris TM602G? Also (NCS)? How do I know which one I have? I already voted though.
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.

MagilaGorila

join:2009-12-08
Falmouth, MA
reply to Johkal

Not sure if EMTA's and standalone modems should be in the same cat, no biggie though

HD Triple play/blast install came with TM702G [even got with the battery backup]
Effortless install even after I mated it with a NG35001nas

Been averaging 20-24mb down 6 up

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
reply to Johkal

I'm using a Cisco DPC3000. Had been using the Moto SB5100 for years. It was a dependable modem. I upgraded to DOCSIS 3(22/5 service) a few months ago and now am renting and that's what they gave me.
I will probably buy one(SB6120 ?) soon however and stop paying the rental fee.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to heat84

said by heat84:

What dose (SIP) mean next to Arris TM602G? Also (NCS)? How do I know which one I have? I already voted though.
SIP (Session Initiation Protocol)
Ref: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_In···Protocol

NCS (Packet Cable)
Ref: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PacketCable

As for which one you have, I do not know
--

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Thanks. How could I found out which one I have? Why do you have you have separate choices for them? Why is it a significant differentiation?
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.

ca tech

join:2009-12-30
San Pablo, CA

said by heat84:

Thanks. How could I found out which one I have? Why do you have you have separate choices for them? Why is it a significant differentiation?
look on the sticker that is on the back or bottom of the modem, and in theory they all work the same assuming they are d2 or the same if they are d3 in practice some models are just better at working with sub optimal signal or always push the upper end of the speed tier better, in the end they all get the job done it is all about perception.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

said by ca tech:

said by heat84:

look on the sticker that is on the back or bottom of the modem, and in theory they all work the same assuming they are d2 or the same if they are d3 in practice some models are just better at working with sub optimal signal or always push the upper end of the speed tier better, in the end they all get the job done it is all about perception.
These are "Protocols that have nothing to do with addressing "sub optimal signal levels" & "speed".
--

ca tech

join:2009-12-30
San Pablo, CA

1 edit

said by Johkal See Profile

These are "Protocols that have nothing to do with addressing "sub optimal signal levels" & "speed".

i was saying all d2 modems are nearly the same with some performing better in some ways than others, and all d3 modems performing nearly the same. this is due to them being built to the same protocols with very little variance. if my statement is wrong please let me know

u3912974

join:2007-07-31
San Francisco, CA
reply to Johkal

arris tm702g

Navitron

join:2005-04-07
Seattle, WA

1 edit
reply to Johkal

SB6120~! FTW
6+ months and going strong.

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Johkal

Arris TM402P

DarkSithLord

join:2006-04-19
Hayward, CA
reply to Johkal

I'm leasing a Motorola SB4220 that I've had since 2002 or 2003 or so. I'm thinking about buying a new modem so I can stop paying the monthly lease amount.

Peace...

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to Johkal

My Modem is not in the list.

I use a Motorola SB4200 which was free when Adelphia started high speed internet in Colorado Springs.

It has never been turned off except for a rare reboot and has run perfectly since March 11, 2003.

I consistently get 20 Megabits/sec down loads on large files even after PowerBoost is long over. This is on the 12/2 service plan.

This is the best electronic "purchase" I have ever made!!!
--
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

Sherlock Holmes in
The Boscombe Valley Mystery
A. C. Doyle
Strand Magazine, October 1891

love2bowl300
Premium
join:2003-12-13
Hamburg, PA
reply to Johkal

I have had a Linksys BEFCMU10 v2 since March of 2003. It is starting to die though so I will shortly be getting the Motorola 6120 whenever it's available at Best Buy.
--
Life is like a bowl of cherries. Some Sweet, Some Sour, or just the PITS!

OldSkool

@comcast.net
reply to Johkal

I will keep using my sb5100 until told I have to get rid of it. I have had for many years. Always rock solid never an issue. One does not always need the latest and greatest hardware. Been that route and sometimes it's just a hassle.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

said by OldSkool :

I will keep using my sb5100 until told I have to get rid of it. I have had for many years. Always rock solid never an issue. One does not always need the latest and greatest hardware. Been that route and sometimes it's just a hassle.
Yeah, I heard that. I've been running a 5100 for 6 years and counting now and until Docsis 3 comes and I have to upgrade, or the modem itself dies, I'll keep using it.

It's a beast when it comes to getting every drop of speed I am due and deals lovely with bad signals.

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to RR Conductor

Ooooof.

Have SB-5120 now (I've owned it since 2005), but will replace with SB-6120 (and from Best Buy, although not the *same* Best Buy that sold me the SB-5120 I have now) ASAP.

Why not the same BB? Because I bought the SB-5120 in *Wilmington, DE* (Concord Mall, next to the Doubletree on US 202 between I-95 and the DE/PA border *and* US 1/322) while atending a family reunion.

chong67

join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA

I got the SB6120 too just because everyone said so.

It is good because of the nice looking cage?

JamesDax

join:2001-02-24
Philadelphia, PA
reply to Johkal

I have the Scientific-Atlanta(CISCO) DPC2100R2++++++
--
He who lives the longest will know the most.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to chong67

My complaint with the 6120 (and generally many modern devices) are the over-bright LED's. This is in a bedroom, so I have used black tape to cover up some of them. All that is normally visible is the Connect LED, with the activity LED partially covered (it's mostly useless with the latest firmware due to the constant blinking.)

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to Johkal

I have to say the Arris tm702g that I have is rock solid. I was like Arris, why not a Motorola, but Arris convinced me on the rock solid stability and performance. It also has a much more accurate signal meter on it's web UI that is way closer to the levels on a DSAM meter, vs the Motorola modem's I've used.

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:64

said by cypherstream:

I have to say the Arris tm702g that I have is rock solid. I was like Arris, why not a Motorola, but Arris convinced me on the rock solid stability and performance.
You'd probably feel the same way when comparing Arris and Motorola CMTS', I know I do

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
reply to Johkal

still using my Linksys v4.. soon though I'll get a Motorola 6120 to be DOCSIS 3 ready.