Search similar:

uniqs

esn
@comcast.net

esn

Anon

Comcast remote won't work for cable, but ok for TV

Hi,
I have a Comcast cable with a Motorola HD/DVR box (DCH3416). Earlier today, my remote suddenly stopped working for controlling the cable. If I press the TV button at the top of the remote, the remote can control the volume, channels, etc. on the TV. However, when I press the cable button and try to change the channel, volume, or anything, nothing happens.
I've replaced the batteries and restarted the cable box, but still no response. Called Comcast and they have no ideas.
Any suggestions for fixes so that I can watch the Super Bowl tomorrow? If the remote is dead, would I be able to buy a universal remote somewhere that will control the cable and DVR functions?
Thanks!

heat84
DSLR Influencer
join:2004-03-11
Delray Beach, FL

heat84

Try these codes?: 0276,0476,0810,1106, 1187 or 1376.

But I thought STB codes were hard coded in to the remotes through the port in the battery compartment.

esn
@comcast.net

esn

Anon

I tried those, but not sure if I'm doing it right. I pressed cable once, then held down setup until cable blinked twice. Then pressed the code. From the instructions, it sounds like cable should blink again twice, but it doesn't.

Not sure what you mean about hard coded. Could you explain?

Thanks!!!
yhp
join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA

yhp

said by esn :

I tried those, but not sure if I'm doing it right. I pressed cable once, then held down setup until cable blinked twice. Then pressed the code. From the instructions, it sounds like cable should blink again twice, but it doesn't.
If your Comcast remote is of recent vintage, it is probably looking for a five-digit code, and not a four-digit one.

You're not pressing the fifth digit.

Try the values suggested above by the poster, but with a 0 in front.

Use, e.g., 00476 instead of 0476.
ca tech
join:2009-12-30
San Pablo, CA

ca tech to esn

to esn
did you get a new tv? change some setting on your display or add a reflective piece of furniture mirror, picture etc.?

sounds like ir bleed from the tv, try turnig off your tv and see if it goes away. if it starts working find the if sensor on the front of the cable box a flash light will show a small oval on the right panel.... place 2-5 layers of scotch tape over the sensor and see if it starts to work again

esn
@comcast.net

esn to esn

Anon

to esn
I will try the 5 digit codes. No changes in TV or settings, furniture, etc. Same problems when the TV is turned off.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Any idea if these don't work if I will be able to get a universal remote that will control my DVR, at least for today?
nascar18
join:2002-03-10
Fall River, MA

nascar18 to esn

to esn
It's not the codes or the remote. You have a IR problem with the cable box. PUT A YELLOW STICKY OVER THE IR SENSOR ON THE CABLE BOX AND YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE OVER. Enjoy the super bowl..........
ca tech
join:2009-12-30
San Pablo, CA

ca tech

said by nascar18:

It's not the codes or the remote. You have a IR problem with the cable box. PUT A YELLOW STICKY OVER THE IR SENSOR ON THE CABLE BOX AND YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE OVER. Enjoy the super bowl..........
it's not ir bleed if it does it with the tv off, try rebooting the box by unpluging it and let it redownload the config files, maybe time for a tech to check the line or swap out the box