Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

biggbrother
Premium
join:2001-11-07
Providence, RI

Enlarging Sink Hole in Granite Countertop

As many of you know I am remodelling a house I bought at a good price. It's been alot of stress and I even ended up in the hospital for a week with a pneumonia.

Well one of the errors in all this chaos was choosing the sink size in the granite countertop. After the countertop and backsplash was installed I noticed the problem....the sink is too small!!

I had just gotten out of the hospital and the installer asked me what depth and size undermount sink I wanted. I wanted a deeper sink and he only had 2 that were at or over 8-inches deep. The 9-inch deep one was slightly too big for my 24-inch cabinet, so he told me I could go with 16x16, and 8-inch deep.

The problem is that the actual bowl is only 13.5 x 13.5. Granted we have a dishwasher right next to it, but I see it as too small, and my significant other isn't thrilled either. She can barely fit a larger pot in there. Plus I am concerned about future resale value.

I am wondering if it's possible to hire someone to cut a larger opening and install a larger sink? If the edges can't be finished, that's fine because I think a top-mounted sink might be a better option for my small 24-inch cabinet. So the top-mounted sink will cover any blemishes at the edges.

The installer said it's not possible to disassemble everything and take it to get recut because it's been glued. Is it possible to cut the hole bigger or am I stuck with this thing?
--
"Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them." -- George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none

with the right tools and proper training/experience it can be done in place. accept the fact that you will be replacing teh granite if they screw up though. so don't hire the first jake leg that says he can do it with a cut off wheel!

why not call the company where you ordered the granite? they should know who to call if they don't do it themselves.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

macsierra8
Baby Newfoundland
Premium
join:2003-11-30
Minden, NV
reply to biggbrother

I cut out a granite sink enlargement hole with a diamond blade using a standard skilsaw. Use a little water on the blade as it cuts or go rent a wet diamond skilsaw. The water made a mess but I used towels to control most of it, or use a wet vac.

Granite cuts much the same as anything else with a wet diamond tile saw.

Keep the surface that's going to show covered with masking tape so it won't scratch.

If you are uncomfortable doing it yourself I'm sure a granite top contractor would be glad to do it for not a lot of money.
--
Early 2009 Mac Pro 10.6.2 Charter 10 meg Windows 7 & Mac OSX working simultaneously with VMware Fusion 3.0.1

walta

join:2001-05-22
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:2
reply to biggbrother

Look out for the anchors recessed in the bottom of the counter top make sure the new opening will not expose the old anchors in the new edge.
How will you install new anchors from underneath?

Walta

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to biggbrother

I think you can get it enlarged if you can find someone with the right equipment. You may want to post your question on the John Bridge tile forum. There are a lot of granite guys there. They could tell you the problems involved and what type of equipment is needed.

biggbrother
Premium
Providence, RI
reply to biggbrother

I am going to try to take a photo of it when I get home.

Maybe I am just overreacting. The kitchen is very small anyway and we have a dishwasher right next to it. The idea of the "smaller" but deeper sink was to maximize the limited counter space we have.

I can always perform the cut out at a later date if we find it too small. My girlfriend likes the look of the undermount sink and I doubt we could retain that doing a cutout on-site correct?

If I could find a deeper sink for a good price I would consider that. However, I haven't been able to find anything 16x16 or 18x18 around 10-inch or 12-inch deep for less than $400, which is highway robbery.
--
"Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them." -- George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2
reply to biggbrother

Also consider that your installer probably already installed the largest sink he could using your space and depth requirement ... just making a larger opening doesn't mean you can install a larger sink

NOCMan
MacChatter
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to biggbrother

Also nobody brings a pot with them when shopping for a house so that's a non issue.

You can always go with one of those sinks that have a very small side for cutting and the disposal, and the other side is ginormous and probably sits in the same hole you have now with no cutting.

»www.signaturehardware.com/images···83_l.jpg

Should give you an idea. You could also just go with a sink like that of any size, they just have to refinish the sides.

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL
reply to biggbrother

Have you considered an undercounter sink as another option?

biggbrother
Premium
Providence, RI

What do you mean my "undercounter"? You mean "undermounted"?