uniqs
share rss forum feed

knightmb
Everybody Lies

join:2003-12-01
Franklin, TN

1 edit

How to Access Your Modem Login Page

I see it mentioned all the time, but the info is always different. Some say you access the page at 192.168.15.1, others I see 192.168.18.1

I've tried using a static IP on my laptop. I even tried running wireshark for a while to see if I would spot any traffic that would lead me to the page, but so far none.

All of the modems appear to be the same on the outside, but are they all different models on the inside?

I'm trying to get into mine to look at all these settings that everyone talks about.

Mine happens to be the "Expedience Broadband Wireless Access Modem" that I found here on the Motorola Site: »www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/···it_US-EN

gpctexas

join:2004-02-10
Odessa, TX

2 edits

run ipconfig

Your modems page will be the gateway on your pc.

This assumes you do not have anything between you and the clear modem and are using the new clear modem.

knightmb
Everybody Lies

Franklin, TN

said by gpctexas:

run ipconfig

Your modems page will be the gateway on your pc.

This assumes you do not have anything between you and the clear modem and are using the new clear modem.
This is the gateway I get

Somehow, I don't think that goes to the modem
--
Fight Insight Ready (Was NebuAD) and the like:
Click Here to pollute their data

aight

join:2001-12-18
Lafox, IL

Just go here and it will tell you the WAN IP address of your modem
»whatismyipaddress.com/

Jet101
Jet101
Premium
join:2009-10-01
Pflugerville, TX
reply to knightmb

said by knightmb:

This is the gateway I get

Somehow, I don't think that goes to the modem
Sounds like you are not letting your pc acquire an IP address automatically from the modem. Check your connection settings properties and make sure you have it set this way. If you have it set up to obtain an IP address automatically, when you plug your computer directly into the clear modem, it will issue a private IP address. You can then run ipconfig to see what your IP address is and what the gateway is.

w0g
o.O

join:2001-08-30
Springfield, OR
reply to knightmb

Are you using a USB modem? Those connect directly to the Internet and don't have a site to administer the modem like the Home modem and routers do.
--
www.aimless.us - irc.aimless.us channel #fix

knightmb
Everybody Lies

Franklin, TN

said by w0g:

Are you using a USB modem? Those connect directly to the Internet and don't have a site to administer the modem like the Home modem and routers do.
It's a straight Ethernet connection from the laptop to the back of the modem. It seems to be pulling an IP directly from the tower as the when I check my Internet address at »wanip.org/ it matches exactly what I see in ipconfig.

I think my modem is just acting as a bridge directly to their Internet service? Maybe that's why I can't find the login page for it?
--

Jet101
Jet101
Premium
join:2009-10-01
Pflugerville, TX

That's an expedience modem, so it is just a bridge. Don't have any idea what the login IP might be for that model. Chances are, there's not any real user settings in it anyway. Just wish CLEAR would let all their new modems work in a bridged mode.

knightmb
Everybody Lies

Franklin, TN
reply to knightmb

As luck would have it, I found the IP for mine at 192.168.0.230 (after assigning my NIC card the entire private range and running a scan to search out any other IP that responds)

Once I found the IP, it has both a web page and a telnet login.

But the webpage reports the index.html as invalid and the telnet login, no password seems to work (tried the motorola and CLEAR123 that I saw posted here)

So I'm guessing, I need to know exactly what page to go to or the password for the telnet login. I much prefer the webpage GUI, but if anyone has any suggestions, like when you login to yours, is the page index.html or something else like login.html, etc?
--

knightmb
Everybody Lies

Franklin, TN
reply to knightmb

Ha, was able to get in.

These types of modems are new and have the same login page @ 192.168.0.230 (you have to manually assign your network to get there)

There is no web GUI, just telnet.

Telnet login password: orthogonal

From there, you have some basic options to look at for the modem if you are trying to troubleshoot any problems, not much to work with though.
--

knightmb
Everybody Lies

Franklin, TN
reply to knightmb

I take that back, turns out you can do just about anything, including play with your provisioned speed. I was able to remove the speed cap on mine and do a few speed test to verify.

So, be very careful in this section if you venture there, might get you in trouble with Clearwire.

Also, turns out, you can reboot the modem from this telent session, which in my experiments, also solves the annoying speed decay the modems have after so many hours of usage. So, easier than doing a MAC change, I guess the speed problem must lie in the modem OS somewhere (memory leak, etc.)

I'll keep everyone up to date if I find anything new.

Whenever I run a speedtest at speedtest.net before, it always came out below 2.0 Mbps and well below 256 Kbps on the Upload. The service is provised to exactly 2 Mbps 256 Kbps normally, but as you can see I was able to play around with the settings to get a higher speed. I found that I can burst the modem all the way up to 6 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload if I tinker with the settings enough. I guess my signal just isn't good enough to maintain those higher speeds.

--

w0g
o.O

Springfield, OR

1 edit
reply to knightmb

------

knightmb
Everybody Lies

Franklin, TN
reply to knightmb

Well, while I'm in there looking around, I did spot all the block/limit rules, in case anyone is curious.

Basically
Ethernet Broadcast are limited to 4k (multicast, broadcast)
H.323 is Disabled and Blocking Ports 1718-1720 both Inbound/Outbound UDP/TCP

And of course the rules that limit your speed like
256 K Upload
2000 K Download

When you wipe the rules, changes are applied on the fly, you'll notice immediate results.

But.... if you reboot the modem, all the settings are reset back to the original (I guess it loads them from the Tower it's connected to)
--

ClearHorizon

join:2010-02-04

said by knightmb:

Well, while I'm in there looking around, I did spot all the block/limit rules, in case anyone is curious.

Basically
Ethernet Broadcast are limited to 4k (multicast, broadcast)
H.323 is Disabled and Blocking Ports 1718-1720 both Inbound/Outbound UDP/TCP

And of course the rules that limit your speed like
256 K Upload
2000 K Download

When you wipe the rules, changes are applied on the fly, you'll notice immediate results.

But.... if you reboot the modem, all the settings are reset back to the original (I guess it loads them from the Tower it's connected to)
They'll likely catch on to your uncapping your modem when they look at its utilization..
This modem is for the old Clearwire service, it's actually a bridge modem, hence why you don't have the nice web page config.
Furthermore, there are a couple cool things you can do with the telnet session on this CPE. You can do "cpescan" command which in theory should cause it to scan and connect to the next available tower. There is a way to get stats from it too...I don't quite recall the command. Should let you look at cool things like signal strength and modulation rates.

knightmb
Everybody Lies

Franklin, TN

said by ClearHorizon:

They'll likely catch on to your uncapping your modem when they look at its utilization..
This modem is for the old Clearwire service, it's actually a bridge modem, hence why you don't have the nice web page config.
Furthermore, there are a couple cool things you can do with the telnet session on this CPE. You can do "cpescan" command which in theory should cause it to scan and connect to the next available tower. There is a way to get stats from it too...I don't quite recall the command. Should let you look at cool things like signal strength and modulation rates.
It's not so much to get a boost in bandwidth, really it's just to troubleshoot the problems I've had since I first got the service a month ago. Mainly, this is the third modem I've gone through with them. They keep replacing it rather than listen to the technical info that I've gathered about the problem in my area. If this is the old modem, that must be all that they have in stock? I'm on my 3rd brand new out of the box. Must have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

When the service works, it works great. When it has issues, boy it's back to dial-up days. Mainly the solution is either to reboot the modem from the telnet (because power cycling doesn't seem to do the trick, even if you wait a long time with it unplugged) or change your MAC address to have speeds return to normal. The MAC trick requires no reboot of the modem, so I don't know if that means there is a bigger issue at hand with the service.

I've gone through about all the telenet commands, a lot of cool info to get about which channels are busy, stats, etc. I wanted to see if the modem was logging massive amounts of problems during those times when service comes to a crawl, but so far, everything is fine according to the stats. I get an awesome signal (I have line of sight of the tower) and the area seems to be free of interference.
--

w0g
o.O

Springfield, OR

1 edit
reply to knightmb

Are you talking about Clear's 3G service? Interesting, but I'm wondering if you haven't really "uncapped" your modem but disabled QoS/packet shaping. Is the modem running Linux? Are you just fooling around with the default Linux configuration? Making the change as easy as you've stated it has been might be possible, but again I think the modem part is different from the TCP/IP part of Linux.
--
www.aimless.us - irc.aimless.us channel #fix

knightmb
Everybody Lies

Franklin, TN

It's the 3G service. Well, probably not uncapped in the sense that the modem does have a maximum speed. If the QOS is the only thing keeping the speed down, then what's the difference really?

It's running the NextNet 4.5.9 OS

There's really no way to save the configuration between reboots as it seems to get the settings from the tower everytime. You can change them on the fly, but after the first reboot, it's all back to defaults.

The date is always right, but the time is always wrong, go figure, LOL. Even when I fix it, reboot and it gets the wrong one from the tower again.

When things get slow, I jump in and check the stats. Signal is always good, *never* a single bad frame, interference at the lowest level possible (almost -98), memory stats are good (not running out of RAM), CPU is low (averages around 37%).

So unless the modem is lieing to me, everything with it appears fine. That's why I wonder if the issue lies deeper in the Clearwire network (Tower, Back-haul, Gateways, etc)
--