Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rtcpenguin
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Fairfax, VA

Plow damage to car?

I live in a condominium that is partially owned by a company that owns an adjacent shopping center and thus the unit owners are able to park their cars there. In DC we recently had a pretty big snow storm, and it looks as though a plow clipped the rear end of my car with its shovel or pushed ice into it. There are some pretty deep scratches on the rear end and I seriously doubt they were caused by anything other than a plow.

Do I have any options other than just paying it myself? I would think the plow companies have liability insurance for this, but I doubt I could ever prove it was them.

This is seriously pissing me off because the car is literally 2 weeks old with 350 miles on it. I only had it out of the garage so that I could drive it to work (they dont plow out the driveway to our garage for some reason).
--
Paul Newman's blog!

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11

1 edit
Call your insurance company and tell them this same story, they will tell you exactly what to do about it!
Not being in the garage may be a problem if you told your insurance company you have one!

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
said by The Pig:

Not being in the garage may be a problem if you told your insurance company you have one!
That would be one very bad insurance company if this was a problem
--
Republicans: less fiscally conservative than that other party.

rtcpenguin
Premium
Fairfax, VA
reply to rtcpenguin
I've got geico and they're generally pretty good. I'm usually pretty paranoid about calling them in these types of situations because I think they'll put some note on my account and jack up my rates. I may just be crazy though.
--
Paul Newman's blog!

rob_in_chatt
Premium
join:2004-09-17
Chattanooga, TN
reply to rtcpenguin
i had a wreck almost 2 years back, it was my fault. i had geico at the time. i was following too close on the freeway, and got tied up in a 5 car chain wreck. i destroyed the rear bumper of a 99 chevy silverado, was over 1500 bucks damage. it smashed my grill, both headlights, bent the hood, bent the radiator blah blah and my rates never increased.

rtcpenguin
Premium
Fairfax, VA
Thats good to know. Sadly, my deductible will probably be higher than the damage.
--
Paul Newman's blog!

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to rob_in_chatt
said by rob_in_chatt:

i had a wreck almost 2 years back, it was my fault. i had geico at the time. i was following too close on the freeway, and got tied up in a 5 car chain wreck. i destroyed the rear bumper of a 99 chevy silverado, was over 1500 bucks damage. it smashed my grill, both headlights, bent the hood, bent the radiator blah blah and my rates never increased.
I am guessing your were not the last car then. In a chain wreck it's usually the last guys fault.

boogi man

join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL
kudos:1
reply to rtcpenguin
said by rtcpenguin:

Thats good to know. Sadly, my deductible will probably be higher than the damage.
take to body shop if it is less than ded the pay and dont claim
--
my site

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable
reply to rtcpenguin
Just call your insurance company and let them know the name of the plowing company and also call the plowing company after you take pictures of the damage for your records.

A City of Erie plow a few years back threw ice on my vehicle and broke the drivers side window and mirror. One phone call and the city sent out their claims adjuster and he sent me to one of the local glass repair companies and had it fixed the same day. They got the window from the junkyard which was fine and took care of all of the bills with the city.
--
[quote]Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid.[/quote] - Jayne Cobb

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to rtcpenguin
It should come under comprehensive and not collision. so, your deductible may not apply. Call the insurance company and find out. If you don't file a claim, your rates can't go up.
--
Some people are like slinkies - not really good for much.
But they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
said by beck:

It should come under comprehensive and not collision. so, your deductible may not apply. Call the insurance company and find out. If you don't file a claim, your rates can't go up.
If it was caused by another vehicle it would not be under comp.
If you can't identify or they deny and you lose at trial it would be against your collision if you have it.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to rtcpenguin
if the car is legally parked, then you won't be considered your fault. Probably the parking lot has posted "not responsible for damage to your vehicle", which will cause you trouble if you go after the management company.
--
standard disclaimers apply.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to rtcpenguin
The issue here will be showing proof of who did what. My car was hit in a parking lot - by the way the damage was, it would have been impossible for me to have done it, so the insurance covered it w/o proof of where damage came from. (it was the upper portion of rear passenger quarter panel - a truck would have had to back into it) You could take your car into a police accident reporting station - at least get that - and then have that fired off to the insurance and let them figure it out.
--
This message was composed using 100% post-consumer recycled electrons, please recycle responsibly. Composed and sent with Mac OS X... because windows sucks. Public PGP Key available. Opinions expressed are entirely my own.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to rtcpenguin
what about this?

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo
reply to rtcpenguin
A buddy of mine works for the Illinois Dept of Transportation (IDOT). He used to plow snow, but now has moved to other depts. Just after one snowstorm, a person's car was hit by ice from an overpass, which broke the windshield. She told the IDOT people the number of the truck she claimed had flung the ice onto her car, and it was my buddy's truck number. Even though the paperwork and other evidence showed that he was nowhere near this spot at the time the incident occurred, and the spot was not on his route, the state paid for the person's repair anyway.
--
Learn from the past and look to the future.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11

1 edit
reply to r81984
NM

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
reply to rtcpenguin
This is a collision claim, not comprehensive. It does not matter if your car was on someone else's property when the damage occurred. The _only_ way you carrier would get involved is if they pay something out under your policy, which you state would not happen. If there is any damage to the bumper then it probably needs to be replaced. If a plastic bumper its probably going to run around $500-$600.

You should call the snow plow company to see if they will accept liability and/or report it to their carrier. You have two problems with this... they probably won't want to report it to their carrier and they will probably deny liability as you cannot really show that they caused the damage. The sooner you report the damage the better. The more time that passes the more likely it will looks suspicious.

You could also ask the owner of the property to pay for the damage to your vehicle. I understand that this is the owner of where you live so you may not want to do this. They should then tender your claim over to the plowing company. This might hold more weight then you contacting them directly.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

The issue here will be showing proof of who did what. My car was hit in a parking lot - by the way the damage was, it would have been impossible for me to have done it, so the insurance covered it w/o proof of where damage came from. (it was the upper portion of rear passenger quarter panel - a truck would have had to back into it)
If it was your company, your collision insurance would have covered the loss if you caused the damage or someone else did. An impact is an impact (from/with another vehicle).

gregz

join:2009-10-01
reply to rtcpenguin
You can report it to who ever plows the lot, and let their insurance handle the claim. Problem with that, if no one saw it happen, it never happened under their watch. Take a picture and post this in the auto forum. Let them decide if it is worth it.

Look at the good side, at least your car now fits into being in D.C. What car in a big city does not have some kind of damage on it.

bigrigtruckr

join:2009-01-10
reply to rtcpenguin
I was rear ended once in the parking lot of my apartment complex, and the driver took off. When I called my insurance company they had me file it under my Renters Insurance policy, as the vehicle was at my residence and not being driven.

Same as if you had a house and the vehicle was sitting in the driveway and it got damaged. You would file a claim under your homeowners insurance and not your auto policy

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
reply to rtcpenguin
See if there's any video recordings of it. And check VA's law on hit and runs. In Ontario & Canada that's a hit and run(although you'd need something to identify the vehicle/driver).

myluvnttl78

join:2000-12-22
Ridgefield, WA
reply to rtcpenguin
Stop whining!! Unless you own a nice 2010 ZR1, then stop making something so small to be something big.

"if the car is legally parked, then you won't be considered your fault. Probably the parking lot has posted, not responsible for damage to your vehicle", which will cause you trouble if you go after the management company.

scoopy03

join:2003-05-06
reply to rtcpenguin
I had geico and got dropped by them because it was my only accident EVER..............

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

1 edit
reply to bigrigtruckr
said by bigrigtruckr:

I was rear ended once in the parking lot of my apartment complex, and the driver took off. When I called my insurance company they had me file it under my Renters Insurance policy, as the vehicle was at my residence and not being driven.

Same as if you had a house and the vehicle was sitting in the driveway and it got damaged. You would file a claim under your homeowners insurance and not your auto policy
Wow... they paid auto collision damage under your renters policy???? Either this had to have been the stupidest carrier/adjuster or this is incorrect. Vehicles are specifically excluded from HO and renters policies. Let me know who this carrier is so I can simply drop my comp and coll coverage and whenever my vehicle is damaged it will have "happened at my home".

Sorry, damage to your auto is excluded under property policies and covered under the auto policy.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to The Pig
I would advise not to call your insurance company. I've been told they note down the "incident" as a claim inquiry, even if you don't file a claim afterwards it's still a "flag" that you COULD be filing claims.

And since you have a deductible, there's no way you'd get anything from them anyway.

I'd go to the Apartment complex.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

1 edit
said by KrK:

I would advise not to call your insurance company. I've been told they note down the "incident" as a claim inquiry, even if you don't file a claim afterwards it's still a "flag" that you COULD be filing claims.

And since you have a deductible, there's no way you'd get anything from them anyway.

I'd go to the Apartment complex.
This is somewhat true and all the claims here that calling the insurance company is safe as long as you don't file a claim are erroneous. I don't want to drag this off-topic but my daughter recently rear-ended someone and did what later amounted to under $200 damage to the other car. There were 3 passengers in the car she hit. The question I asked both an attorney and my insurance agent (off the record phone call which I asked for and she agreed to) was: should I report the incident to my insurance company and would my rates be affected even if I paid for the repairs.

Both an attorney and the insurance agent answered the same way. Yes, my rates would be affected in reporting the accident even if I personally paid to repair the other vehicle. As for the answer to the other question, I'll leave it out because it would drag this discussion off-topic. In the OPs case I have no idea whether the insurance company would raise his rates, but this is Geico and it would be difficult to have an "off the record" discussion with anyone.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

said by Kramer:

In the OPs case I have no idea whether the insurance company would raise his rates, but this is Geico and it would be difficult to have an "off the record" discussion with anyone.
Just to be clear here, the difference is being at fault (your daughters situation) and not being at fault (the OP's situation). You are correct in that notifying the carrier means that they will use the information in determining their exposure. If a person is at fault in an accident, the carriers risk becomes greater (more likely to have another accident, which is why at fault accidents usually increase rates). So there is a difference here. But I agree, I'd not recommend reporting this type of accident as it's clear the OP's carrier can do very little. But in some cases there might be coverage the insured does not know about. Such as uninsured motorist property damage in this case. It's _highly_ unlikely the OP has this but if he did, there might not be any deductible. Again, it's so unlikely I did not even mention it but its just an example of why accidents should be reported.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to rtcpenguin
said by rtcpenguin:

I've got geico and they're generally pretty good. I'm usually pretty paranoid about calling them in these types of situations because I think they'll put some note on my account and jack up my rates. I may just be crazy though.
You are crazy
Same happened to my wife's car 2 years ago - hit by a snow plow in parking lot. GEICO paid for the repair under "comprehensive" and we only paid the $500 deductible - but the repair was almost $2k. No increase in rates whatsoever... even after another claim for a broken window 1 year later.
You have insurance for this kind of events - use it...

swolstad

join:2001-01-16
La Crosse, WI
reply to bigrigtruckr
said by bigrigtruckr:

I don't beleive any insurance agent gave you this advice. Motor vehicles are specifically not covered on every homeowners & renters insurance policy. The only applicable insurance policy to look to for coverage in this case would be the vehicle owners collision coverage. The chance of collecting from the plow company is at best remote, and from the parking lot owner non existant.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
said by swolstad:

said by bigrigtruckr:

I don't beleive any insurance agent gave you this advice. Motor vehicles are specifically not covered on every homeowners & renters insurance policy. The only applicable insurance policy to look to for coverage in this case would be the vehicle owners collision coverage. The chance of collecting from the plow company is at best remote, and from the parking lot owner non existant.
how about the complex's insurance policy?
--
standard disclaimers apply.