spc
Search similar:

uniqs
lmacmil
join:2001-01-26
South Bend, IN

lmacmil

Does Uverse pass DD 5.1 over HDMI?

I am currently with Comcast and considering trying out Uverse. I am also going to get a new receiver and would like to connect to the DVR with an HDMI cable. (I currently run optical to my receiver and HDMI to the TV).

I was in the AVS receiver forum and a comment was made that Uverse does not pass DD 5.1 signals over an HDMI connection. Is that right? Does one have to connect the Uverse DVR to a receiver with an optical connection to get DD 5.1?
texasguy37
Premium Member
join:2009-05-18
Grand Prairie, TX

texasguy37

Premium Member

said by lmacmil:

I am currently with Comcast and considering trying out Uverse. I am also going to get a new receiver and would like to connect to the DVR with an HDMI cable. (I currently run optical to my receiver and HDMI to the TV).

I was in the AVS receiver forum and a comment was made that Uverse does not pass DD 5.1 signals over an HDMI connection. Is that right? Does one have to connect the Uverse DVR to a receiver with an optical connection to get DD 5.1?
That is not longer true. DD 5.1 can now be received over HDMI cable.
lmacmil
South Bend, IN

lmacmil

said by texasguy37:

That is not longer true. DD 5.1 can now be received over HDMI cable.
Thanks. The post was about 6 months old.

TheDuck6
join:2003-06-22
Eastlake, OH

TheDuck6 to lmacmil

to lmacmil
Why run the HDMI to the receiver as it has no video. The optical connection is just as good or better for audio. Just run the HDMI to the TV and the optical to the receiver.
vengance01
join:2009-03-06
Encino, CA

vengance01

TheDuck its for people who have new A/V recivers that can pass both audio and video over the same cable. Not better, just less cabling.
CyrusDaVirus
join:2009-06-05
Houston, TX

CyrusDaVirus

said by vengance01:

TheDuck its for people who have new A/V recivers that can pass both audio and video over the same cable. Not better, just less cabling.
I thought about getting a new receiver just for that but I dont think I would always want it turned on just to watch tv.
lmacmil
South Bend, IN

lmacmil

said by CyrusDaVirus:

said by vengance01:

TheDuck its for people who have new A/V recivers that can pass both audio and video over the same cable.
I thought about getting a new receiver just for that but I dont think I would always want it turned on just to watch tv.
Some models allow you to pass sound thru the HDMI cable to the TV with the receiver in standby. Of course, you have to change the receiver settings to do that before you turn it off.

The other advantage of late models (last year or 2) is that they support the new lossless codecs (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-Master Audio) that are on many BluRay discs. Whether those offer an audible improvement in sound is open to debate.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

Why run the HDMI to the receiver as it has no video. The optical connection is just as good or better for audio. Just run the HDMI to the TV and the optical to the receiver.
Think A/V switching. If you've got a set top box, blu ray player, and HDMI gaming system, you can just plug them all into a HDMI supporting AV receiver and run one final HDMI connection to the TV.

TheDuck6
join:2003-06-22
Eastlake, OH

TheDuck6 to lmacmil

to lmacmil
And you are just adding another converter in the path to the TV to cause compatibility problems. Having the video cabled directly to the TV is still the best way to go. Plugging it to the receiver 'just because it can' doesn't make it a good way to cable. Unless you just have to watch the news and everything in surround sound. The only other reason would be if the TV doesn't have enough HDMI inputs for all the components so you are using it as a switch.
innoman
-
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Seattle, WA

innoman

Premium Member

TheDuck, newer receivers offer a lot of great functionality actually and many of the issues that used to plague older devices aren't really an issue today. I plug all of my stuff directly into the receiver over HDMI and then have 1 cable running from the receiver to the TV. If I want to watch or play something on my PS3, I turn it on the TV and receiver are turned on and configured appropriately. If I want to watch something on U-Verse, I press power on the remote and my TV, Surround Sound and U-Verse box all power on. The only thing that requires an extra step is if I was using my PS3 previously... I have to hit SAT (there is no STB option) on the audio remote to tell the surround sound to look at that input. If I don't want surround, I just turn the surround sound off and the audio goes through the TV.

As for using fiber, I am pretty certain there is no benefit over HDMI. I could be mistaken. I do know HDMI is capable of some stuff fiber is not. It's really an older technology at this point...