BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to JGROCKY

Premium Member

to JGROCKY

Re: ADSL-CO/2009-261 Case update....

I almost spit out my tea.. What? I'm recovering from being sick.

TSI is currently in the process of entering into third party Internet access arrangements with the major Canadian cable broadcasting distribution undertakings (“BDUs”), and is also actively involved in the design of an IPTV offering.

I was not expecting that at all.

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18

1 edit

Angelo

Premium Member

like i told rocky i expect 30 megs , i guess you can have 16megs mlearner haha :P

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26
Ok I was only reading the "TV" part I totally skipped on over the Cable bit... WTF? TSI DOCSIS 3 ?

Rocky if you pull this one off you should change your handle to "TSI Houdini"

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member

Angelo

Premium Member

i think if they can offer plans from lite - the linux distro guy packages it would prob fit everyones needs and pricing to the bandwidth usage

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to Angelo

Premium Member

to Angelo
said by Angelo:

like i told rocky i expect 30 megs , i guess you can have 16megs mlearner haha :P
I don't care if it's only 10/1 and 300 GB bandwidth, I'd switch over tommorow. Already have my own modem.

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member

Angelo

Premium Member

said by BACONATOR26:

said by Angelo:

I don't care if it's only 10/1 and 300 GB bandwidth, I'd switch over tommorow. Already have my own modem.
i do too but mine is only docsis 2 i need a new modem for docsis 3
aheintz
Premium Member
join:2007-06-24
Plattsville, ON

aheintz to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
I can see it now the Roger Quick start replace by TSI quick start where it shows the latest forums postings but ya I'm happy to see my DSL fees going to good use.

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member

1 edit

Angelo

Premium Member

rogers dpi isn't applied to their wholesale devision... so we wouldn't see that yet anyways unless they pull a bell

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to Angelo

Premium Member

to Angelo
said by Angelo:
said by BACONATOR26:
said by Angelo:

i do too but mine is only docsis 2 i need a new modem for docsis 3
For low speeds tiers they will probably offer D2. Mine is only 2 as well but a good D3 modem doesn't cost too much.
BACONATOR26

BACONATOR26 to Angelo

Premium Member

to Angelo
said by Angelo:

rogers dpi isn't applied to their wholesale devision... so we wouldn't see that yet anyways unless they pull a bell
Well technically it is in areas where 3web provides service but doesn't have transit from the node, in which case it's resold Rogers service which caps and DPI applies.

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member

Angelo to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

For low speeds tiers they will probably offer D2. Mine is only 2 as well but a good D3 modem doesn't cost too much.
i just hope the ysupport your own cable modems and aren't forced to sell cable providers cable modems... which would ruin it for us. This will also force us to cable modem upgardes every few years. ie perfectly fine D2 modems need to be D3 as seen in the rogers forums for certain tiers.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

said by Angelo:
said by BACONATOR26:

i just hope the ysupport your own cable modems and aren't forced to sell cable providers cable modems... which would ruin it for us. This will also force us to cable modem upgardes every few years. ie perfectly fine D2 modems need to be D3 as seen in the rogers forums for certain tiers.
Don't think that will happen, if you order through 3web right now you can activate your own modem as long as it's a model that they support at the head end.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

On top of that I'm still totally curious about the TV Offering... not paying an Incumbent for TV service would be pretty rockin.

JunjiHiroma
Live Free Or Die
join:2008-03-18
Renfrew, ON

JunjiHiroma to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
rollaster
join:2008-06-17

1 edit

rollaster to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

said by Angelo:

and get 1/11th of what your paying for. I can see you two are idiots. What's to stop the monopolies saying that's too much and dropping it down even further. What we need is unlimited otherwise I see no point because it's a complete waste of money to pay more for a service than what they actually provide.

Unless there is faster speeds with service that's advertised as in 10/1 with no caps. There's no point in switching when I can push over 1TB with my 5Mbit line in a single month at a cheaper price.

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member

Angelo

Premium Member

reality is as speeds increase you'll either have to pay higher rates or deal with caps
rollaster
join:2008-06-17

2 edits

rollaster

said by Angelo:

reality is as speeds increase you'll either have to pay higher rates or deal with caps
that's completely unacceptable. I'd rather stick with 5Mbit DSL than be capped and get a service I'm paying much more for and getting way less the service than what I'm suppose to be receiving.

Why is it elsewhere around the world you get advertised speeds except in north America its capped. This monopolistic control is outrageous

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member

Angelo

Premium Member

said by rollaster:

said by Angelo:

that's completely unacceptable. I'd rather stick with 5Mbit DSL than be capped and get a service I'm paying much more for and getting way less the service than what I'm suppose to be receiving
so you think 5mbit doing 1tb a month is profitable for an isp?

now imagine if every customer who can get 5mbit is doing the same thing at lets say 39 /mo is this profitable?

now imagine users who are lucky on 6,7, and even 8 meg profiles their monthly download potential is much better and what would you suggest to an ISP as Teksavvy to just suck it up?

i'll answer it for you no, if this becomes common practice the isp will go out of business. Which is what Bhell is hoping for. They know that having all heavy users move to wholesalers maxing their lines and racking up a bill the isp isn't getting any profits from these users.

how do you justify it being unacceptable for an isp to thrive in a competitive market where bhell sets the prices and their markup is razor thin?

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to rollaster

Premium Member

to rollaster
said by rollaster:

that's completely unacceptable. I'd rather stick with 5Mbit DSL than be capped and get a service I'm paying much more for and getting way less the service than what I'm suppose to be receiving.

Why is it elsewhere around the world you get advertised speeds except in north America its capped. This monopolistic control is outrageous
You're tripping over your mighty intellect. I'm surprised that you assume that two of the our more educated contributors are morons.

But I supposed they're dealing with facts and you're dealing with idealistic fiction.

Fact: There is no uncapped internet in Canada.
Fiction: Transit costs nothing.

No matter what way you slice it, someone pays for transit... obviously your ISP is at liberty not to charge you, the consumer, for transit but that doesn't make their transit costs go away.

Assuming you can win an election and become the Industry Minister you're totally free to attempt to regulate the internet.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to rollaster

to rollaster
said by rollaster:

What we need is unlimited otherwise I see no point because it's a complete waste of money to pay more for a service than what they actually provide.
xDSL/DOCSIS3 internet is "economy-class" internet where bandwidth resources are pooled across a large subscriber base to reduce total costs using statistical multiplexing: the fact that only a relatively small fraction of all subscribers are ever active at any given time.

If you want TRUE unlimited, get a dedicated fractional link. Those typically cost over $10/Mbps + over $200/month for access + potentially over $5000 for install... the transit provider at the other end will also be using statistical multiplexing but at least now you are completely bypassing the ISP's.
shepd
join:2004-01-17
Kitchener, ON

shepd to Angelo

to Angelo
said by Angelo:

I assume so...

I pay $21.95 CDN a month for my Canadian VPS with 1.2 TB of traffic included monthly, so I can safely assume an ISP can supply 1.2 TB of bandwidth for $20 a month and make money.

Considering TSi pays $22 a month for rent on Bell's network, and I am assuming Bell is making a profit on that, that comes to $42 a month for 1.2 TB of profitable bandwidth.

Perhaps upgrading my line to ADSL2 might increase the line cost to, say, $44 (which is absolutely excessive, but let's run with that). That's still only $62 a month for 1.2 TB of profitable bandwidth.

Ignite
Premium Member
join:2004-03-18
UK

Ignite

Premium Member

said by shepd:

said by Angelo:

I assume so...

I pay $21.95 CDN a month for my Canadian VPS with 1.2 TB of traffic included monthly, so I can safely assume an ISP can supply 1.2 TB of bandwidth for $20 a month and make money.

Considering TSi pays $22 a month for rent on Bell's network, and I am assuming Bell is making a profit on that, that comes to $42 a month for 1.2 TB of profitable bandwidth.

Perhaps upgrading my line to ADSL2 might increase the line cost to, say, $44 (which is absolutely excessive, but let's run with that). That's still only $62 a month for 1.2 TB of profitable bandwidth.
Sorry but the cost of VPS, etc, is not comparable to the cost of broadband internet services.

The most expensive part of the services for an ISP is always, by far, getting the customer to the core network the rest is relatively cheap.
bjlockie
join:2007-12-16
Ontario
Technicolor TC4350
Asus RT-AC56
Grandstream HandyTone 702/704

bjlockie to Angelo

to Angelo
said by Angelo:

I'll stick to low speed but I'm willing to pay the same price for something different if it makes TSI more profit.

JunjiHiroma
Live Free Or Die
join:2008-03-18
Renfrew, ON

1 edit

JunjiHiroma to Angelo

to Angelo
said by Angelo:

reality is as speeds increase you'll have to pay higher rates and deal with caps
i fixed your quote for you :3

Jason042
@microserve.ca

Jason042 to Angelo

Anon

to Angelo
said by Angelo:

I first got internet in my home around 1996. I paid around $30/mo for 28.8bps with no cap.

It's now 2010. I pay around $40 for 5Mb/s, with no caps.

The difference in price has everything to do with inflation, and nothing to do with the speed difference.

If, as you say, the current reality is that prices are going up along with speed, then the reality is that there is something wrong with the market.

In a truly competitive market prices will stay the same while the technology increases.

When that's not the case it means a company is exploiting the customers in order to make a profit. In a competitive market, competition won't let that happen.

Gimli
Premium Member
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4

Gimli

Premium Member

said by Jason042 :

said by Angelo:

I first got internet in my home around 1996. I paid around $30/mo for 28.8bps with no cap.

It's now 2010. I pay around $40 for 5Mb/s, with no caps.

The difference in price has everything to do with inflation, and nothing to do with the speed difference.

If, as you say, the current reality is that prices are going up along with speed, then the reality is that there is something wrong with the market.

In a truly competitive market prices will stay the same while the technology increases.

When that's not the case it means a company is exploiting the customers in order to make a profit. In a competitive market, competition won't let that happen.
PREACH IT BROTHA~!!!!
33358088 (banned)
join:2008-09-23

33358088 (banned) to Angelo

to Angelo
said by Angelo:

is the from the greed gods mouth
i sir do not worship that being

i say NO TO ANY CAPS
and be outraged that we pay more in canada then ANYWHERE ELSE NOW iF the BCE UUB comes in that slides our avg UP enough to be number one most expensive internet in the world
WOOT NUMBER ONE AT BEING RIPPED OFF HOORAY
jvaux
join:2004-04-22
Quebec, QC

jvaux

said by 33358088:

i say NO TO ANY CAPS
Great, you just broke my irony meter...
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

1 edit

grunze510

said by jvaux:

said by 33358088:

i say NO TO ANY CAPS
Great, you just broke my irony meter...
haha!

Luckily, irony meters are free.
shepd
join:2004-01-17
Kitchener, ON

shepd to Ignite

to Ignite
said by Ignite:

orry but the cost of VPS, etc, is not comparable to the cost of broadband internet services.

The most expensive part of the services for an ISP is always, by far, getting the customer to the core network the rest is relatively cheap.
Please, excuse my ignorance, but it seems to me that once the cable to my home from the ISP is laid, the costs for that section of cable (not the internet itself) are fixed, aren't they? I mean, I know my telephone line doesn't break more often because I make more calls, I'm assuming my internet cable won't either.

And, if those fixed costs are more than $22/month, how is Bell making money on GAS, since that's the maximum it charges a wholesaler for the exact same thing: A line from the ISP to a home.

Obviously, the costs for the bandwidth to the ISP from the internet shouldn't change based on whether it is hitting an ERX or a VPS. So the only thing I can see that should increase the cost is the link between the ISP and my home.

But again, I'm not an ISP, I'm just interested in knowing how that works.