spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Bradlee
@shawcable.net

Bradlee

Anon

Speedtest.net high ping

I have this weird problem with speedtest.net where my ping is ALWAYS over 500 to any server no matter how close it is. However, my speed results are reporting normally, averaging 10Mb/s during daytime with extreme-i and about .81-.90Mb/s upload.

Nothing is downloading, obviously. And I've tried a reboot of the router.

Windows 7 64bit
Linksys WRT54GL Router w/ Tomato firmware

Not a serious issue. I'm just wondering.

I'm in Lethbridge, AB

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

Have you tried pinging IP's in Seattle, Vancouver, LA? That's the true way to test your ping. I get weird ping on my speedtests as well sometimes. Always get good pings when I actually ping an IP

Jumpy
@shawcable.net

Jumpy to Bradlee

Anon

to Bradlee
The problem with flash based speedtests is that they can't actually do a ping. They instead retrieve a very small file via HTTP. It's a cheat, but more often than not it's reliable. It becomes less-so when the server that hosts the file isn't accessible for one reason or another (i.e. out of threads for the HTTP daemon, etc.).
template
join:2007-03-09
@shaw.ca

template to Bradlee

to Bradlee
how do we post the results of the speed test please?
Ikitome
join:2009-11-19
Calgary, AB

Ikitome

When you run the speedtest.net speed test, there's a "copy forum link" button. Click it.

Once done, paste here.

stolen
join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

stolen to Bradlee

to Bradlee
Have you made sure you don't have a proxy server on? As stated by Jumpy, the flash base test uses a http download to guesstimate ping times, and if you're going through a proxy, that can skew the result.

Bradlee
@shawcable.net

Bradlee to Bradlee

Anon

to Bradlee
I do not use a Proxy
stolen
join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

stolen

You do if you're using internet explorer's default settings. Did you check?
mr nobody
join:2004-12-02

mr nobody to Bradlee

to Bradlee
I go this email from shaw saying I get a free one month test drive of Extreme but I only get 10mbs on the shaw speed test.

Not really all that super fast if you ask me.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to Bradlee

to Bradlee
Most likely just a saturated node. I can get up to 30Mb/s download on X-treme. I get the same results as you on Warp though.

Anonimuz
Premium Member
join:2008-12-08
canada

Anonimuz to mr nobody

Premium Member

to mr nobody
Jarry, try using the Seattle server, seems to give better results.

Bradlee
@shawcable.net

Bradlee to stolen

Anon

to stolen
Strange, it appears that networking (or whatever you want to call it) with flash in Google Chrome doesn't work too well. It also appears that speed boost doesn't very well for me in Chrome either, hmm.

These are my results
1. Chrome speedtest.net

2. Firefox speedtest.net

3. IE7 speedtest.net

I can replicate the Chrome speedtest at any time.

optendo
@lmco.com

optendo

Anon

I actually encountered the same issue that bradlee stated above. I can run tests to the same server in IE8 and Chrome, Chrome will get huge ping (>500ms) with slow download speeds (~9Mbps/~1.6Mbps) and IE8 will get low pings (50ms) with speeds I pay for (~20Mbps/~2Mbps). I can replicate the chrome speed test at any time as well.

Chrome v5.0.322.2
EI v8

I am on the Brighthouse Road Runner network in Central Florida.

Calgary
@enerplus.com

Calgary to Bradlee

Anon

to Bradlee
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 9315.png
Nitroxide
join:2009-06-05

1 edit

Nitroxide to optendo

to optendo
said by optendo :

I actually encountered the same issue that bradlee stated above. I can run tests to the same server in IE8 and Chrome, Chrome will get huge ping (>500ms) with slow download speeds (~9Mbps/~1.6Mbps) and IE8 will get low pings (50ms) with speeds I pay for (~20Mbps/~2Mbps). I can replicate the chrome speed test at any time as well.

Chrome v5.0.322.2
EI v8

I am on the Brighthouse Road Runner network in Central Florida.
You're using a dev browser. Switch to regular Chrome v4.0.249.89 and your issues will go away.

optendo
@rr.com

optendo

Anon

I believe v5.0.322.2 is the latest regular. It's no longer dev. I just reinstalled the regular version from the website and it has the version # I stated above. At any rate I noticed that chrome + windows 7 + nod32 antivirus has issues. Check link: »www.google.com/support/f ··· d6&hl=en

2nd to last post has some info.
bradlee9
join:2010-02-13

bradlee9 to Bradlee

to Bradlee
Thanks for the link optendo. I disabled that stuff in NOD32 and it fixed it instantly. Since I started this thread, I switched over to Firefox until now I'm back on Chrome. Disabling those settings in NOD32 feels likes it's improved overall-everything by about %70. It's very fast now.
Expand your moderator at work
jugaaru
join:2004-03-13
Saskatoon, SK

jugaaru to Bradlee

to Bradlee

Re: Speedtest.net high ping