Pakapab
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Cap Haitien

Pakapab to compuguybna

Premium Member

to compuguybna

Re: Starband Vs Hughesnet

Wilde blue is KA, and the new HN9000 s are KA also. Ka uses Spot beam technology, It can that is CAN be faster, but when a beam gets over loaded then that causes much problems. The KU technology has been around a good bit and is solid and tested.

TO be honest the main reason WB and HN went with KA is that they could fit more users on one satellite. More cost effective. Like with KA it can more than triple the amount of users using the same space. If you look around the forum Im sure you ll run into a bunch of interesting debates about the different technology.

The other draw back to KA is to those mobile users. KA units cannot be transported like the SB and old HN 7000s on motosat setups.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

Can anyone that has Starband take a picture of your dish setup and post it here?

I am assuming that the Starband dish would be alot bigger than then Hughes HN9000 dish?

Pakapab
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Cap Haitien

Pakapab

Premium Member

Sure Ill get a pic to you this afternoon, but be warned I work out of the Caribbean, so yes our dishes are bigger. A 1.2 meter antenna (instead of the .75E antenna used in the continental U.S.).

If I recall Hughesnet uses the .75E antenna also. Although the bigger the dish, the better reception you will get and less rain/snow fade.