Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wesm
Premium
join:1999-07-29
Redmond, WA

Colors of electric meter tags? (TX)

I thought maybe somebody here would know... Does anyone know what the colors of the tags on electric meters (in Texas) mean? I saw a gold tag on a working electric meter the other day, but couldn't find a meaning. Of course, I saw a red tag on another meter on the side of the same building and that meter was also spinning wildly, so maybe my definitions are off. These are what I've seen so far and what I think they mean, and please correct if I'm wrong:

Silver tag - In service
Blue tag - Out of service, no retail electric provider "claims" it
(Found this definition by calling Texas-New Mexico Power and asking)
Red tag - Out of service, claimed by a REP and disconnected
Gold tag - ??
--
Opinions expressed here are mine and not my employer's. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Any color = whatever color the meterman / troubleman had on his truck.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
said by nunya:

Any color = whatever color the meterman / troubleman had on his truck.
That's good because at my old house I had blue. I guess I wouldn't have cared so much, but I had to pay the electric bill.
--
Some people are like slinkies - not really good for much.
But they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
around here they change colors periodically just incase someone got a hold of some new tags. my dad had a bunch of them and he used to turn his meter upside down about halfway thru the bill cycle so his bills were not too high. he would simply install it back correctly and put a new tag on a few days before they came to read the meter. HIGHLY illegal but since he has been dead for almost 15 years i doubt they can do anything about it now.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to wesm
The OP is Texas where they have "deregulated" electric. So the tags might mean something there.