Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

Synthetic oil - how many miles to change it?

My car's manual says it can go 7500 miles without an oil change... using what oil?

I went to GoodYear and got some Valvoline full synthetic for $50. I asked how long until I need to come back for an oil change and they said 3000 miles.

If the number stays at 3000 miles, why not just pay less and get the regular oil change for $20?

I'm not going back at 3000 miles. I normally wait 3500 to 4000 with their regular oil since it still looks clear and I have enough.

Will I most likely have to put more oil in if I try and wait 5000 miles (ie. does it burn the same or go down the same as regular)? Will this oil work better?

ErRoR
Premium
join:2002-10-26
Tullahoma, TN

Full synthetic is generally around 7 to 7500 miles between changes.

Eric

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

What about oil filter? If they used a cheap one, how long should I go? I don't know what one they used.

You say 7000 between changes... will the oil level go down significantly like it does with regular oil?

ErRoR
Premium
join:2002-10-26
Tullahoma, TN
reply to fartness

Well if you use a good quality filter it should last 7 to 7500 also. If you oil lvl is going down to the point of worrying about it, it may be leaking or burning it. Just keep an eye on it for the first 3k miles or so and see how it does.

Eric

RX300

join:2004-02-23
Bluff Dale, TX
reply to fartness

Switching to a synthetic blend does not change the service interval. The oil gets dirty either way. Naturally the quick lube place wants you to change oil every 3000 miles. All of them will tell you the same thing, that's their business. More oil changes more $$$ for them.
Why change oil quicker than the owners manual says??

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

Are you saying it will or will not get dirty at 3000 miles the same way as a regular oil will?

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to RX300

Actually that is incorrect. The service interval _does_ increase. A good oil filter (one made for synth oil use especially) is going to remove anything that is going to harm the engine. Granted, the oil is still going to pick up carbon. The main reason oil is changed is that the detergents breaks down and loses it's cleaning ability. Synth does not break down as easy so it does not need to be changed as often. This is the whole reason why synth oil exists and people use it. If it worked no differently then dino oil there would be no market for it... especially at twice the price.

I agree... the oil change place simply wants the repeat business... hence the "3000 mile time frame". Read a modern vehicle manual and it's probably going state 7500.... twice as much as the oil change places would tell you.

When synth should be changed is a matter of preference. Some don't like to go any longer then the manual, some use the recommendation of the oil manufacture (which should be considered in you situation. Personally, I use synth and my manual states 7500 for dino oil (if unspecified, it's dino). I change mine around 10,000.

Note: I'd recommend a better filter if you are using synth oil.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

1 edit

I tried making dino oil last to 7500 when I got the thing and it had no oil left at 4500 miles... does that mean 7500 filter but ADD oil when needed? Now that I have synthetic, at 4500, I should still have oil in there if I check, right?

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2

1 edit

Sorry... I did not realize that you were starting yet another troll post. I'm outta here. Welcome to my ban list.