uniqs
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

Rope vs electric start - snowblower

Last season I bought a cheap, non-working snow blower for a friend. I repaired it so that it was working. It had an electric start that did not work and I left it non-working.

He left me a message a few days ago and mentioned that he had the electric start repaired. We know a friend who owns a shop and does these repairs. I'm sure he took it in to have something like the blades replaced and they repaired the electric start for next to nothing (whole bill was $60).

But this got me thinking... I never thought electric start on a snow blower was very useful. You need to break out an extension cord, plug it into the snow blower and then put it away when done. I can pull 2-3 times on the rope and I'm done. Of course I understand some people might not physically be able to do this. Perhaps this is why electric starts exist.

I'm really just wondering if anyone finds electric start easier then pulling the start rope. If so, what is the reason? Isn't is a pain to break out an extension cord and put it away as opposed to pulling the rope a few times?

I'm just looking for some input on this as maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks

mededitor
Premium Member
join:2004-07-04
Delaware

1 recommendation

mededitor

Premium Member

I can only use the electric start on our snowblower. I'm a 5'2" female and I don't have the arm span/length to use the pull start.

Our snowblower came with the power cord for the electric start, which I keep wrapped around the handle of the snow blower so it's always handy. I leave it in the garage once the snow blower is going and wrap it back around the handle when I'm done. We have an outlet in the garage, so I don't need an extension cord.

My husband is disabled so the snowblower is now "mine" and there's no way I would be able to start it without the electric starter.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
I have a 12hp toro and use the electric start. I keep the blower in the garage and right now I don't have ample room to pull the cord from the side.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

1 edit

psafux to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
The snowblower I had before my current one was a complete bear to start up with the pull rope. When it 10 degrees out, forget about it - its not going to happen. electric was the only way to go.

my current blower (which was completely gone through before I purchased it though it was manufactured in 1973) starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull. (3rd if its really cold out). First pull if its warmer out. 99% of the time I just pull start this one. If its really cold, I will plug in electric start just to avoid tearing the rope. I tore it last year n the first pull when it was really cold out. don't want to deal with that again :P
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

That is kind of what I thought... some people physically cannot pull the cord and I'm guessing the larger engines are more difficult to start (lord knows I wish my lawn mower had an electric start but they usually have a battery on them.

I think my friend probably got the electric start repaired for free or just the cost of parts so he had it done. It has a smaller engine and would start on the 2-3 pull. I'd have done the same thing.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
Mine has an electric start. I never use it. Frankly, it's a hassle getting out the cord and hooking it up. It always starts on the first pull anyway.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
By the time I mess around with the cord I can pull start mine a dozen times. With that said, one comment you made is the reason it is on there. It can be very useful for older people, people with some sort of disability, and those that just don't have the strength. My wife's grandpa used the electric. My older neighbor does as well.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to tcope

Mod

to tcope
I have a little toro 3hp that has one, and I used to use it because it was a bear to start. Last year though it broke (plastic mounts, motor sheared them) so now I just use the pull start which works a lot better since I cleaned the carb.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
I have an old Jacobsen snowblower with an 8hp Tecumseh. I don't use it anymore since I have a 16hp lawn tractor with both plow and snowblower attachments, so I'm giving it to a family member who doesn't have one.

It would sometimes be tempermental and take several pulls to start. But, it would always start quick if I used the electric start.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

2 recommendations

dolphins to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
I have a 30" 11hp electric start snow-thrower. I also have a retractable extension cord that is always plugged in and will reach anywhere in my garage/workshop.

Now I consider myself a burly, handsome, strapping... bulging 45 year old man who has no trouble with pull cords, but one thing I've learned over the years is never stand when you can sit and never sit when you can lay down.

Willy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-24
USA

Willy to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
On a small single stage snow blower that uses a gas/oil mix an electric start would only be useful for an older or smaller person IMHO.

Two pulls and it starts.

A large two stage blower may be another thing.
If it has 4 cycle engine an electric start would be very useful for anybody.

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

2 edits

quitaccount to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
said by Jon5:

Mine has an electric start. I never use it. Frankly, it's a hassle getting out the cord and hooking it up. It always starts on the first pull anyway.
same here. prime it like 3-4 pumps then pull it. starts every time. the key is maintenence---remember to use sta-bil, and if it runs like crap clean or rebuild the carb.

mine's a 5hp 1999 craftsman 2 stage with a 4 cycle tecumseh sno-king motor on it.

i1me2ao
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03
TEXAS

i1me2ao to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
did not know electric start snow blowers need to be plugged in. haha

Pullo9
join:2009-06-18
Reading, PA

Pullo9 to tcope

to tcope
Have an 8hp Cub Cadet tracked snow blower with pull start,never had any problems starting it.3 pumps on the primer,full choke,3/4 throttle starts on first pull.when I bought it in 1992 electric start was like a $45 option I just didn't want to spend the money on.

I can understand why some people would like or need electric start,for me it was just about the cost.
raythompsontn
join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN

raythompsontn to tcope

to tcope
The snowblower I used in times gone by was attached to my yard tractor. There is no way that you could pull start a 22 hp two cylinder engine. Electric all the way.
Turbocpe
Premium Member
join:2001-12-22
IA

Turbocpe to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
Which brings me to ask why it appears it's much more common for a snowblower to have both pull and electric start while many push mowers are just pull starters.

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

said by Turbocpe:

Which brings me to ask why it appears it's much more common for a snowblower to have both pull and electric start while many push mowers are just pull starters.
Because you get what you pay for.
Turbocpe
Premium Member
IA

Turbocpe

Premium Member

said by Jon5:

said by Turbocpe:

Because you get what you pay for.
I'm not speaking of personal experience as far as ownership. All I have to do is doing a CL and I'll see much more snowblowers with both pull start and electric start, while the push mowers are largely pull rope only.

mfeeny
Sweeper51
Premium Member
join:2000-06-03
Detroit, MI

mfeeny to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
i have an electric start toro (2 of them). i use the electric start at the beginning of the season,let them run for awhile, and after that i only use the rope. they always start with a few pulls, its just the first time thats hard, so its electric 1st time

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to Turbocpe

Premium Member

to Turbocpe
said by Turbocpe:

I'm not speaking of personal experience as far as ownership. All I have to do is doing a CL and I'll see much more snowblowers with both pull start and electric start, while the push mowers are largely pull rope only.
Well mowers can be had for $100 and up. Find me a half-way decent snow blower (not on CL) for less than $300.
Turbocpe
Premium Member
IA

Turbocpe

Premium Member

said by Jon5:

said by Turbocpe:

Well mowers can be had for $100 and up. Find me a half-way decent snow blower (not on CL) for less than $300.
Not that hard:
cgi.ebay.com/MURRAY-NOMA ··· 57a2402f

»cgi.ebay.com/22-2-STAGE- ··· 9e6ccf3c

»cgi.ebay.com/Noma-8hp-27 ··· ed965942

It still stands that it appears a lot more common to find snowblowers with both electric and pull start than it is a push mower with both.

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

1 edit

Jon5

Premium Member

I was talking about in store. Not on Ebay or CL. I'm aware you can get them cheap at those places. I'm talking new though.,
cnyguy
join:2002-01-23
Cicero, NY

cnyguy to tcope

to tcope
I don't mind pulling a lawn mower in 70 degree weather. In a blizzard and 10 below, its electric start all the way.
Turbocpe
Premium Member
IA

Turbocpe to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
said by Jon5:

I was talking about in store. Not on Ebay or CL. I'm aware you can get them cheap at those places. I'm talking new though.,
Sorry, not playing. That's not what I initially said. You're changing the criteria to fit the argument. I initally said I can go to CL and find more snowblowers with electric start and pull start than I can a mower.

The point was raised that some may not be able to pull start the snowblower. I'd think that applies to a lawn mower as well. Unless an electric or battery assisted, a push mower without electric start is way more common.

Again, my point was it's common to find a snowblower with both pull start and electric start than it is a mower with the same.

Mchart
First There.
join:2004-01-21
Kaneohe, HI

1 edit

Mchart to tcope

to tcope
I've had a couple toro's with the electric start - And I rarely use said function. If the snowblower is properly maintained and kept in good condition it should be incredibly easy to start by rope. Mine take no more then two pulls.

The key is to run the thing year round. Even during the summer, start it up at least once a week and let it run for about 10 minutes to keep those fluids moving. Then either bring it in, or do the work yourself to do the yearly work.

Even people without much strength should be able to easily start these things by pulling the rope. This is of course assuming the engine is in good condition as I previously stated.

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to Turbocpe

Premium Member

to Turbocpe
said by Turbocpe:

Sorry, not playing. That's not what I initially said. You're changing the criteria to fit the argument. I initally said I can go to CL and find more snowblowers with electric start and pull start than I can a mower.
Not playing anything or changing the criteria. My point was you get what you pay for. At one time, all those you see on CL and/or ebay were new. It would seem that most snow blowers have electric start. So of course that's what you'll find. My reasoning is that More snow blower than mowers have that feature is because snow blowers in general are much more expensive than mowers.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to i1me2ao

Premium Member

to i1me2ao
said by i1me2ao:

did not know electric start snow blowers need to be plugged in. haha
It's common sense (for a change). Batteries do not tend to hold up well in cold climates on a machine that is only started now and then. Battery maintenance would be a PITA for something like a snow blower.
ImpetusEra
Premium Member
join:2004-05-19

ImpetusEra to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
I use both methods on mine. Where it sits in the shed the cord is right there as well as the outlet and there isn't a lot of room to pull without risking putting your elbow into something. Once outside if I stop it for some reason I just use the cord to restart as all it takes is one slow pull.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
I have an older Toro that I use both on. The first start or two of the season I go electric but after that a pull or two it starts up.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to tcope

to tcope
I use it on both our snow blower and the lawn mower even though I'm capable of doing it.

The cord is always in the carport as is the snowblower (Chained to one of the supports of the carport). No matter the weather it's just a push button away. If it's being balky it's easy to start. I never worry about it.

For the lawnmower, the only PITA is that there's a battery that I need to charge every couple of times but it sure is nice to just turn the "key" and go.

Definitely worth it to me.