All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Imhotep0
join:2002-09-12
Beverly Hills, CA

Imhotep0

how to allocate bandwidth on a home network?

i want to be able to allocate bandwidth to the different machines on my network.

i have two dlink routers one piggybacked to the other. all my connections are wired execpt for one wireless pc connected to the piggybacked router (dhcp disabled).

if i were to replace the main rounter with a higher end cisco router would it enable me to traffic shape via ip/mac address? including the wireless machine?

thanks for any help/suggestions.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux

Premium Member

QOS is the feature you are looking for. It is a common feature on routers, but not all have them.
stevech0
join:2006-09-17
San Diego, CA

stevech0

and for the true geek, you can do QoS and bandwidth shaping using DD-WRT - replacement firmware for certain wireless routers.
Imhotep0
Beverly Hills, CA

Imhotep0

thanks but i have qos and it doesnt work for me, i even tried the dlink gaming router, it still lags when the bit torrents are running on other machines.

what i really want is to be able to allocate specific bandwidth limits to different ip/mac addresses.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

said by Imhotep0:

what i really want is to be able to allocate specific bandwidth limits to different ip/mac addresses.
Possible, but requires moving up to the next level of hardware. A lot of SOHO stuff (ex: ZyXEL & Sonicwall) offers real bandwidth management. You'll spend more than you would on consumer grade gear, but will probably be happy with the features and performance.
stevech0
join:2006-09-17
San Diego, CA

stevech0 to Imhotep0

to Imhotep0
said by Imhotep0:

thanks but i have qos and it doesnt work for me, i even tried the dlink gaming router, it still lags when the bit torrents are running on other machines.

DD-WRT gives you the flexibility to cap bandwidth whereas QoS alone simply prioritizes packets.

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium Member
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC

DaMaGeINC to Imhotep0

Premium Member

to Imhotep0
said by Imhotep0:

Thats when you cap your bit torrent downloads and uploads to where it does not affect performance for you.

If it makes you lag when playen games, then your settings are set too high.
Imhotep0
Beverly Hills, CA

Imhotep0 to No_Strings

to No_Strings
any particular models you would recommend?
Imhotep0

Imhotep0 to DaMaGeINC

to DaMaGeINC
they aren't my machines or i would do that.

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium Member
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC

DaMaGeINC

Premium Member

Is it your connection?
DaMaGeINC

1 edit

DaMaGeINC to Imhotep0

Premium Member

to Imhotep0
Click for full size
ddwrt
Click for full size
ClearOS
This is the QOS on DD-WRT. You can limit the ports to certain speeds that they can not go over. Not sure how well it works as I dont use DD-WRT to do my QOS, but maybe this can help you.

The 2nd picture is a software solution called ClearOS. Its a computer based router that does more than any other software that I have ever seen. You can specify port based BW managment and will solve your problems. Only drawback(if you consider this one)is that it runs on a computer, so it will take the place of the router or you can set it up just as a gateway. Takes a little more time to configure but once its all said and done, you will have control of your network like nothing else.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings to Imhotep0

to Imhotep0
ZyWall 2+ is a nice entry level device with policy-based bandwidth management.

»www.provantage.com/zyxel ··· E082.htm
Imhotep0
Beverly Hills, CA

Imhotep0

Big thanks to DaMaGeINC and NoStrings, i'm looking into both options!