clevere1
Premium Member
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

Worth the 150.00 for the bench?

Click for full size
I'm torn. I need a good workbench and don't have one. I am currently using old desks out in the garage.

Do you think this is worth the 150.00 delivered? Or could I built it for cheaper? It doesn't come with the vise....

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

1 edit

Pacrat

MVM

If it's as solid as it looks, it's probably worth a buck and a half, delivered. By the time you round up the wood, fasteners, and spend time in assembly... yeah, I'd go that route. Are those drawers across the front?

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
Thats about 30-40$ in wood. Just sayin...

-j

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to clevere1

to clevere1
If you have plenty of time, the direct material cost is probably under $100, lights and power strip included. But it will take some time to assemble something like that.

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

quitaccount to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
tell him to throw in the Guinness plaque and he has a deal.

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt
join:2002-01-07
Auburn Hills, MI

LBDSL to clevere1

to clevere1
just an fyi »A sturdy work bench for the garage

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

Icarus to clevere1

Mod

to clevere1

Its fairly narrow/shallow for any larger projects.

WutanG5
Premium Member
join:2001-12-12
Seaford, DE

WutanG5 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
I like it. Looks to be well built and sturdy. Should be a good investment. Like Pacrat See Profile said, "If it's as solid as it looks, it's probably worth a buck and a half, delivered"

$150 is a fairly large amount of money for something like this up front but years down the road it'll have proved its worth I think.

I'd buy it.
horsemouth1
Please Clarify My CSP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-13
canada

horsemouth1 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
I say pay the $150.00 I feel sorry for the guy that thinks that he can build and deliver that for $150.00 tho.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
As mentioned, if it is as solid as it look, factor in the labor time and that is a deal, especially delivered. You could build it for less, but that goes for almost anything. You pay for the convenience of having it done and dropped off at your house.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
I would buy it.

Have any links so I don't have to build a new one for a new house?

sdgthy
@optonline.net

sdgthy to tp0d

Anon

to tp0d
said by tp0d:

Thats about 30-40$ in wood. Just sayin...
If the vice and lights are included, add another $40 for a cheap 4" vice and I'm not sure what the lights might go for these days.

If one didn't have the tools, time or know how to build it, it would seem to be a pretty good deal.

SurfTheSky
Flyingphotog
MVM
join:2001-08-26
Fairfax, CA

SurfTheSky to clevere1

MVM

to clevere1
Buy it. It'll last you 20+ years and definitely is not worth your time to build one like it from scratch.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
simple one you can add the back if you want or nail pegboard on the wall and just add some task lighting

»www.hammerzone.com/archi ··· 0xl.html

stev32k
Premium Member
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

stev32k to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
What size is that one? If it's 8 - 10 feet long or more $150 is not a bad price.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
$40 in materials is a correct estimate. Doesn't look that great IMHO. Don't know your skills but I'd definitely build it myself.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

What do you not like about it? Aesthetics is the only thing I could see. But it is a garage work bench so who cares about that? It looks sturdy.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

1 recommendation

whizkid3 to clevere1

MVM

to clevere1
Built & delivered? Its a bargain.

The price of materials - and I hate to disagree - is a lot more than 30-40$. The power strip, lights and hardware are going to run $30-$40 by themselves. Even with the cheapest pine wood, when you include the pegboard, etc; its going to come out to about $100. Granted, the guy building them is probably saving by buying this stuff in bulk. Its still a bargain, IMHO. Consider getting two.

ctceo
Premium Member
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

ctceo to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
I'd say theres about $35 worth of wood there, and another 5 bucks in bolts. About 2 hours construction time if you take your time and have the plans already in your head.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3 to clevere1

MVM

to clevere1
Well, I guess it depends where you live. Around here (NYC), one would think the wood has to come from another continent (or planet).

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

2 edits

r81984 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
Wood, lights, and vice probably about $75 so you are paying $75 for assembly and delivery.

If you are busy and want to save time then $75 for labor and delivery is worth it. If you have time and the tools (and a truck to pick up the wood from the hardware store), it would be more fun to build your own.

Rxdoxx

join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD

1 edit

Rxdoxx to clevere1

to clevere1
I built an 8' one 2 years ago.
No upper section, materials came to about $50.
Lights can be as cheap as $10 each.
By the time you throw in the strip and the pegboard, and looks like he used 2x6 (2x8?) in the facing, I'd say you are close to $100.
Delivery is sweet.
Not having to spend the time to go gather materials and make it, ought to be worth at least $50 just factoring in at minimum wage.
If I had had the spot for one that long, I would have jumped on your offer.

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

Thanks all. My financial advisor decided I didn't need it . . . .

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

1 recommendation

Lurch77

Premium Member

Mine said I didn't need a motorcycle. Then they said I didn't need two motorcycles. They get over it.

Rxdoxx

join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD

3 recommendations

Rxdoxx to clevere1

to clevere1
said by clevere1:

Paint red hearts on it and give it to her for valentines day

stev32k
Premium Member
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

1 edit

2 recommendations

stev32k to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
Next time she wants you to fix something or make something ask if you should use the kitchen table or the dining room table to drill, saw, or whatever. If those are not an option then I guess the work does not get done.

P.S. As far as cost the last one I built in 1998 was $7.50 per foot of length. Now I would expect the cost to be $10 per foot of length plus a little more for the lights.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

1 recommendation

Tzale to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
said by clevere1:

Your financial advisor should be told to get a new job.
Tzale

Tzale to stev32k

Premium Member

to stev32k
said by stev32k:

Next time she wants you to fix something or make something ask if you should use the kitchen table or the dining room table to drill, saw, or whatever. If those are not an option then I guess the work does not get done.

P.S. As far as cost the last one I built in 1998 was $7.50 per foot of length. Now I would expect the cost to be $10 per foot of length plus a little more for the lights.
She might not mind him 'drilling' on the kitchen table if she needs something 'fixed' for herself... I have to admit that $7.50/foot is a lot... That's roughly $3.25/second, but usually the lights are included.

-Tzale

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

said by Warzau:

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
lol