El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

[Signals] Scientific Atlanta WebSTAR DPC2100R2

Click for full size
ranging
Click for full size
status
Been meaning to post this for a while...

So when Comcast came out about a month ago to do my install, they gave me a cable modem that says on the front:

"CISCO ..... 2100 Cable Modem"

When I hit »192.168.100.1, however, it is reporting as a Scientific-Atlanta WebSTAR DPC2100R2.

Fine, whatever, maybe Cisco bought them. Just thought it was odd.

The real question is why this modem is neutered by Comcast to not show signals?

When it is still ranging/syncing, I'm able to click on the "Signal" tab and see the detailed signal info (see 1st pic, entitled ranging.jpg).

However, once it's sync'd, I try to go to the Signal tab and it says:
This feature is not enabled.
This feature has not been enabled in your cable modem.

Please contact your data services provider for more information about this feature and its availability on the network.
I'd really like to be able to keep an eye on my signal statistics. The "System" tab only shows the receive and transmit power levels, no SNR. The modem has been dropping a fair amount lately, and the only thing it looks like to me is the upstream power is spiking or getting too high. Impossible to say since I can't see /all/ the stats. The 2nd pic (status.jpg) is a snapshot of what the Status tab provides (minimal info).

So does anyone know how to un-neuter this modem?

Thanks in advance!

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

1 recommendation

jack b

MVM

»192.168.100.1/_aslvl.asp
Choose Level 2 Password = W2402 **uppercase W

Thanks to PittsPgh

for that tidbit

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Perfect, thanks a lot!

Upstream power is definitely an issue...hmm. Not sure how much I can really do about it, given I'm in an apartment. I'll probably have to wait until we move into our house in a month.
pflog

pflog to jack b

MVM

to jack b
Ugh I have to do this EVERY time I hit the page in the browser? It doesn't remember the settings?

That is going to make polling these stats for my RRD script way more complicated.
Crf2502
join:2010-01-26

Crf2502

from those signal specs if looks like u could possibly be on docsis 3.0

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by Crf2502:

from those signal specs if looks like u could possibly be on docsis 3.0
I'm tempted to go buy an sb6120 at best buy, but since I'll probably order business service in less than a month and would never sell it on craigslist for close to the $99 I'd pay at best buy, it'd be a waste.

Not to mention, they won't sell me the higher speed plan anyway, because they claim I need a D3 modem from them that I can't get...haha

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to pflog

MVM

to pflog
Cisco bought Scientific Atlanta in 2006.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 recommendation

pflog

MVM

said by Johkal:

Cisco bought Scientific Atlanta in 2006.
Wow, I have to get with the times.

So I guess it's time I re-familiarized myself with the Perl curl libs and write something that hits that page to activate "level 2" access, then hit the stats page.

It seems as though it sets some sort of internal timer for how long that level 2 access is enabled, because after setting that, I was able to (briefly) wget the page and see the stats, then shortly later neither wget nor my browser session worked.

I guess it might be as simple as hitting the auth page, submitting the form then immediately hitting the other page with the SNR/etc.
PittsPgh
Premium Member
join:2003-08-21
Pittsburgh, PA

PittsPgh to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
said by pflog:

Ugh I have to do this EVERY time I hit the page in the browser? It doesn't remember the settings?

That is going to make polling these stats for my RRD script way more complicated.
Sorry, I had forgotten to mention in the other thread. This works for a short period, then you have to log back into the modem again. It's long enough to view, do a couple screenshots and take note of your settings.

Paul

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Sweet, worked like a charm with the LWP::UserAgent module.
floyd@pflog:~% ./cm.pl
Downstream SNR: 36.7 dB
Downstream Power: 2.0 dBmV
Upstream Power: 52.7 dBmV
Now I just need to update my RRD scripts to add a new RRD to track this and I should have another pretty graph of my CM stats! I'll have to re-write it later when I move to biz and have to query the SMC (and eventually will need to have it handle multiple channels once we get Docsis 3.0 here), but this is a start!
pflog

pflog

MVM

Click for full size
RRD script updates finished
plat2on1
join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

plat2on1 to pflog

to pflog
wouldn't it be nice if comcast would just give us back SNMP read access

pflog