spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AlmostBroke

join:2009-11-24

Best Cable/Sattelite Provider In Canada

Using ExpressVu now. Last time I checked Rogers had a better package for cheaper, but it's cable.

Should I go to Rogers or is there any better Cable/Sat providers? I'm close to Toronto if it matters.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

The only other one you have to choose from is StarChoice, or as it's been rebranded, Shaw Direct.

AlmostBroke

Which is the best?

My TV is used to watch the Food network, hockey, and kid's shows. Rogers offers all of this in it's VIP package and currently offers a free HD Reciever when the satellite receiver is traded in as well as $99 off a second one.

Just making sure there's nothing I'm leaving out.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

Call up BellTV and tell them what you're being offered. You'd be amazed what kind of retention deal they'll throw your way.

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2
reply to AlmostBroke

Careful with the Rogers "free" HD Receiver deal. You must sign up for two years and there is an early cancellation fee to get out.

travisc

join:2001-11-09
Uxbridge, ON

1 recommendation

reply to AlmostBroke

Careful with Bell's retention offers, you may well have to fight them for months to get your bill to what they promised.

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON

1 edit
reply to AlmostBroke

I would say go to Shaw because they have an awesome deal available to Ontario customers but be forewarned the hardware isn't the best at the moment and rumour has it new hardware is coming later this year.

edit: Here is a link with full info on the Shaw Direct deal. »www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthr···t=115952

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to AlmostBroke

said by AlmostBroke:

Using ExpressVu now. Last time I checked Rogers had a better package for cheaper, but it's cable.

Should I go to Rogers or is there any better Cable/Sat providers? I'm close to Toronto if it matters.
Retentions at Bell gave me 40% off last year and 30% this year when I threatened to leave for Rogers. Worth the phone call and in my experience the picture is much clearer with Bell compared to Rogers.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to AlmostBroke

go with whoever gives you the channels you want for the best price and offers decent service....i have had no issues with my Rogers service over the past 2 years and i get more than i had with Bell for less money...i have a bundle deal with Rogers...if you cancel early, you just pay back your discount (so there really is no penalty)...with Bell, when you cancel early, it is something like a $400 penalty.
--
Today's motto: Dearly beloved, We are gathered here today to bid farewell to personal responsibility and accountability.
Hard Work beats Talent, when Talent doesn't Work Hard.

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON

My deal with bell was for 12 months each time with no contract so no penalty if I decided to leave before the year was up. That being said billing is sometimes an issue with Bell.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

that is because you have a retentions deal...if you sign up as a new customer (or renew as an existing one), there are penalties to cancel the Bundle contract, and they are quite high.
--
Today's motto: Dearly beloved, We are gathered here today to bid farewell to personal responsibility and accountability.

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

More reason for him to stay with Bell. If he got 30% discount like me that would beat the deal he would get from Rogers and he's free to leave anytime without penalty. These so called bundles are quite silly in my opinion. I use a different provider for my satellite, TV and cell phone and what I pay is less than any bundle from Bell or Rogers.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
reply to AlmostBroke

Also keep in mind Bell just came out with new programming packages, including à-la-carte packages where you can pick-and-choose only the channels you want.

That may end up being cheaper than the cable co's packages.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to AlmostBroke

I have StarChoice and that terrible 513 DVR. Can't wait for its replacement.

ReformCRTC
Support Your Independent ISP

join:2004-03-07
Canada
reply to AlmostBroke

Free-to-air satellite, HD channels over the air and grey market dishes and internet streaming could be your way to go.

To deal with any of the Robellus companies, well, vote with your wallet.

If you want to just play one of the oligopoly against the other and back and forth, go ahead, that's your choice. Notice how other posters start their comments with "Careful..."

It's like a minefield.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Mike2009

i had a good package with Bell that basically gave me what i wanted and a cell phone with Rogers...it was about $230/month for everything...after i switched to Rogers, i got the enhanced services (OnDemand, faster internet, etc) and my bill dropped by about $30/month, so i added a cell phone for the wife with Fido.

i could have negotiated a retention offer with Bell, but i didn't want to give them a cent of my money any more...after seeing what they have done to a lot of my former colleagues over the last year and a half, it reminds of just how shitty of a company they are...i feel bad for the handful of friends who still work there, wondering when their turn is up.
--

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON

I don't like Bell any more than you do but I still use them for television.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

oh, i never really had any problems with the services...it was always customer service and billing that was a nightmare...the one billing error i did have with Rogers, when i first signed up and switched everything over, was resolved in a few minutes with one call...i was kind of expecting some issues with billing (as i signed up for all three services and merged my cell into the bundle deal), but my initial bill was only out by $20 as the SOC for the LD wasn't added properly...the CSR reviewed ALL portfolios with me, added the SOC, credited the LD charges on the bill and everything was done in under 10 minutes...i never had to do it again...i recently was given a retention deal as my two free years of free HDPVR receivers was up, and again, a few minutes on the phone and all was taken care of...i am not saying Rogers is the best out there (i know there are plenty of stories out there), but i haven't had any issues with them whatsoever and they have always been quick to fix the issues and fix them with one call...as well, the Customer Service is open 24/7 and the reps handled all my home phone, internet and cable billing with one call...with Bell, you need to call each department individually and they are all open various hours, none of them being all that great.
--

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

I've had billing issues with Bell but the satellite service is more reliable than what I had with Rogers. I had tons of problems with digital cable boxes and at one point Rogers had to run a new line to the house because of internet issues. Nothing helped so I use Bell for TV and Teksavvy for internet. Unfortunately Bell gets $20 of the $27.99 (group rate) I pay to Teksavvy!

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

understandable...i live in a brand new subdivision, so no problems with lines or anything here.

AlmostBroke

reply to shaner

I'm going to make the call this week.

I plan on canceling home phone, internet and TV.

Should I tell them this upfront? Or should I tell them I am canceling one service, decide on their retention offer and hang up to calla gain about another service and cancel each service individually?

I'm likely switching to TekSavvy for internet, but if Bell lowers the pricing on Phone and TV they will likely bear the price of Rogers TV and TekSavvy phone.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

they will likely offer you a retention deal to keep you...the problem is, in most cases, you need to deal with each department individually.

AlmostBroke

I'm fine with a retention deal for TV and Phone, as long as it ends up no contract, cheaper than TSI phone and Rogers TV.

So I should do each service individually.

Writing down benefits of each service from each company I may switch to so I know what to accept and what not to .

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON

I would just pull the service out entirely. Management types don't "get it" when you take a retention deal but when you cancel they "get it".

Rogers called me several times after I dropped tv, internet and home phone with them for Shaw Direct and Teksavvy. They also mailed me all kinds of stupid advertising crap trying to get me back.

I told Rogers every time they called that I had no interest in returning to them as a customer as long as they continued to offer poor value for money in terms of their services. It even got me a call from the Office Of The President about it in which I went to great detail of explaining that I was fed up with them cutting services and increasing the price continually.

Ultimately they were sad to see me go as a customer but they understood why. Rogers lost the better part of a $450+/month customer due to their business decisions.

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to AlmostBroke

said by AlmostBroke:

I'm fine with a retention deal for TV and Phone, as long as it ends up no contract, cheaper than TSI phone and Rogers TV.

Writing down benefits of each service from each company I may switch to so I know what to accept and what not to .
What I do is call Rogers and find out what type of deals they have for new subscribers. Then I call Bell and ask for retentions and ask them if they'll beat Rogers. The past two years they have.

Laidback

join:2001-09-30
Woodstock, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

i had a good package with Bell that basically gave me what i wanted and a cell phone with Rogers...it was about $230/month for everything...after i switched to Rogers, i got the enhanced services (OnDemand, faster internet, etc) and my bill dropped by about $30/month, so i added a cell phone for the wife with Fido.

i could have negotiated a retention offer with Bell, but i didn't want to give them a cent of my money any more...after seeing what they have done to a lot of my former colleagues over the last year and a half, it reminds of just how shitty of a company they are...i feel bad for the handful of friends who still work there, wondering when their turn is up.
Move to Woodstock and see how long you stay with Rogers.
They still have microwave feed here. No fiber optics yet. And before anybody tells me bullshit, I work right around the corner from the rogers office. We had to call them as they are on the "call before you dig". The guy I talked to laughed. He said rogers will not bring it in because of cost and the market size.
Drive around town and you will be surprised on the number of satellite dishes mounted on houses, apartments etc. Most people I know who have rogers are always complaining. Then again I complained about starchoice/shaw direct because they would not offer me the programming I wanted so I went back to bell after 3 years and you know what, 100% better service than what it was back then.

AlmostBroke

1 edit
reply to AlmostBroke

I'm going to go through Bell's retention, if I don't get what I want I'll cancel and check out Rogers.

Stojko
Premium
join:2007-10-20
St John's NL
reply to shaner

said by shaner:

Call up BellTV and tell them what you're being offered. You'd be amazed what kind of retention deal they'll throw your way.
x2

30% off, anyone?

Sean8

join:2004-01-23
Toronto
reply to Mike2009

said by Mike2009:

said by AlmostBroke:

What I do is call Rogers and find out what type of deals they have for new subscribers. Then I call Bell and ask for retentions and ask them if they'll beat Rogers. The past two years they have.
I do this too, and have done it for the past 2 years, as well as doing the same thing for my cell plan. Currently I pay $95/m for TV (basic + international), Performance Internet (7 Mbps), and home phone.