spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nimbus109

@comcast.net

Cable goes black for a second on ocassion

This is something new to me. Has anyone had this problem? Not really a nuisance, but is it part of a systemic problem or could it be my TV and receiver [both pretty new]. Thanks.

bnculp

join:2001-10-20
Reading, PA

Check out this thread :

»Reading, PA - Fox and ABC momentary blackouts

I have been having momentary blackouts (video only) since the A28 guide update. I am not sure if its a Comcast issue or not.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to nimbus109

Are you connected with an HDMI cable? Can you try component cable and see if the problem follows? What kind of cable box do you have? Is it on certain channels or all of them?

nimbus109

@comcast.net

I have HDMI cables all around. Putting in component cables would be a pain since the cabinet weighs a ton and I have little access to the back. I have the Motorola dch 13416 unit. The problem is random and infrequent on all channels. Thanks for responding.

bnculp

Reading, PA
reply to nimbus109

I also use HDMI with a Motorola DCH3416 DVR. The blackouts occur on any channel and also happen when playing recorded programs. Only the video is blacked out, audio is OK. If I rewind or skip back the DVR, I can not recreate the blackout !? The blackouts are infrequent (maybe one per day) and very short in duration (1-2 seconds). This all started when the I-guide was updated to version A28.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1

Me too.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

1 edit
reply to bnculp

I have the DCX3400M and I don't recall blackouts. Just some video only stutter on ABC HD once in awhile.

I know some HDMI handshake issues can occur. I'd experiment with Component or go straight to the TV (if you currently go through an AVR) if its bothersome.

MagilaGorila

join:2009-12-08
Falmouth, MA
reply to nimbus109

Try changing your box or TV video setting like upscaling/fixed/native etc to see if that make a difference

bnculp

Reading, PA
reply to cypherstream

said by cypherstream:

I have the DCX3400M and I don't recall blackouts. Just some video only stutter on ABC HD once in awhile.

I know some HDMI handshake issues can occur. I'd experiment with Component or go straight to the TV (if you currently go through an AVR) if its bothersome.
HDMI handshake issues ... interesting. One other item of note, my audio setup does not use the HDMI cable, but uses an optical cable directly from the Motorola box to my home theater external speaker system. If HDMI issues are involved, this may explain why audio is not lost during the short blackouts ?

ak3883

join:2005-08-20
Portsmouth, RI
reply to nimbus109

I get something similiar, but I get a green screen. I know it's related to HDMI somehow. Started ever since I got A28. Like the OP, they are at random and I cannot recreate it at all. The screen just goes green for about 1.5 seconds then comes right back. The front display does not flash "DVI" so it's not resynching the HDMI handshake... this is on an older DCT3416.

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to cypherstream

said by cypherstream:

I know some HDMI handshake issues can occur....
Nah, not the same thing. It's been doing it on my DCH3416 since the guide update.

It's just a random momentary blip, so minor I might not even notice it if my Bose didn't have to reacquire the audio stream.

Like someone else noted, it's particularly odd, because the DVR does not record the blip.
--
[Insert Comcast employee disclaimer here.]

bnculp

Reading, PA

Perhaps this is not relevant, but didn't DCH3416 owners get a new firmware level (18.73) when the A28 guide was activated in January 2010 ? I think I was at firmware 18.34 or 18.43 before the A28 update.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

Hmm good point. I haven't been tracking the DCH firmware versions since I got the DCX box. On the DCX, the firmware remained at ver 22.35 after the IGuide update. I know 22.37 is available, but they don't run that on our system.

number2

join:2009-01-22
Ogden, UT
reply to nimbus109

Same thing is happening on my DCH3200.

Started right after the update.

Chuck66

join:2004-04-28
Mantua, NJ

Same here, audio and black screen for just a second. All HDMI.

tmeader

join:2004-03-15
Laurel, MD

I have a DCX3400 as well, and used to get the video and audio blackouts whenever going from an SD to an HD channel, would last anywhere from 2-5 seconds normally. As long as I stayed on HD channels, it was fine there after. Since the A28 guide update, during which time the firmware on the box was updated to 22.48 (yes .48, highest version I've seen mentioned on this board), it only now drops the audio. Video comes up immediately.

SalesGOD
Got Money? Will Sell

join:2001-04-11
Tinley Park, IL
reply to nimbus109

Nimbus, I have a similar, if not, same problem with my Panasonic Plasma and the Moto DCT 6412. I use HDMI cables and every once in a while it will lose sync and the audio/video will drop for about 10 seconds.

I had read in a previous thread that this is a known issue and was supposed to be addressed.

nimbus109

@comcast.net

Thanks for all of the input. The one- or two-second video blackouts occur randomly within a program and not when switching from SD to HD or vice versa. Seems to not be a recurring channel- or format-centered problem.

number2

Ogden, UT
reply to nimbus109

I submitted a thread about this problem on the direct forum yesterday.

Still getting no response back.

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to nimbus109

said by nimbus109 :

Thanks for all of the input. The one- or two-second video blackouts occur randomly within a program and not when switching from SD to HD or vice versa. Seems to not be a recurring channel- or format-centered problem.
yep!
--

number2

Ogden, UT
reply to nimbus109

I just received a phone call from a Comcast tech about this. We talked a while about what was going on and then he concluded that he was clueless about what the cause could be. He will be forwarding this case onto the engineering department.

I encourage everyone else experiencing this to report it. So that the engineers don't just blow this off as a secluded event.

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to nimbus109

Comcast is aware of the problem, but it won't hurt to keep the heat on.
--

psujim

join:2007-10-10
Reading, PA
reply to nerdburg

Like someone else noted, it's particularly odd, because the DVR does not record the blip.
Actually, I just noticed it on a DVR recording from two weeks ago. Funny thing is, when I did the 5 second skip back, it didn't do it the second time through. It definitely does seem to be occurring since the guide update however.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to nimbus109

I've noticed when going through a DVR program with 30-sec skip, very rapidly, sometimes the video will go black for a second. Not just the video from the recording, but even the UI element (time bar). Its only for a second though, and only when doing 30-sec skips very rapidly.

However it didn't happen last night on ABC HD or BBC America. It happens a lot on MTV and VH1 for sure, and quite a few others (mostly SD Channels).

Also if you watch a recording off of ABC HD @720p, then switch to one of those problem channels like MTV, then really fast go back to the ABC HD recording, the DCX sometimes gets stuck at 480p, and the ABC HD recording is letterboxed, stretched, and just plain ugly. If you do a 30-sec skip, the recording will fix itself and the box will switch to 720p again.

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to psujim

said by psujim:

Actually, I just noticed it on a DVR recording from two weeks ago. Funny thing is, when I did the 5 second skip back, it didn't do it the second time through. It definitely does seem to be occurring since the guide update however.
Yeah, I just noticed it in a recording too.
--

chewch99

join:2008-04-20
united state

4 edits
reply to nimbus109

What type of TV do you have? I had a similar problem while rewinding/fastforwarding my DVR recordings.

However I believe the problem is caused by my Samsungs anynet feature (where the TV reads what HDMI connected device is plugged in). Problem is that feature works great for Samsung connected devices and causes huge problems for anything not samsung (my cable box (DCX 3400) even my xbox has problems with that feature on. Also other TV's have similar features though called by different names anything to do with HDMI-CEC.

When I turned the feature off I no longer had that issue at all. Since this problem mostly seems to be happening to people with HDMI I would defiantly try going in your tv settings and disabling anynet for Samsungs and whatever name other TV's use for a similar HDMI-CEC feature.

Edit:

Also the same feature is the culprit for Panasonic TV's. The feature for Pansonic is called Viera Link. Turning Viera Link off in the TV menu should stop the black outs.

number2

Ogden, UT

I have a Toshiba Regza manufactured in late 2007. I don't have any system linking features like that. And the problem only occurred after the new guide update rolled out in our area.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

said by number2:

I have a Toshiba Regza manufactured in late 2007. I don't have any system linking features like that. And the problem only occurred after the new guide update rolled out in our area.
That Toshiba should have it, generally 2007 and newer models of most brands had HDMI-CEC. Just to check that it isn't the issue disable REGZA-LINK (also called CE-LINK in some older Toshiba models).

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to nimbus109

Ok I turned off AnyNET in my samsung tv menu yesterday. Still however we got momentary video loss at least twice during rapid 30-sec skip on a recording from Bravo.

However, right before going to bed, it occurred to me that maybe disabling anynet doesn't take effect until all of the equipment is restarted, or I cycle through my TV's inputs. So I did just that... Cycled through all inputs, powered off the TV and DCX box, and brought it back up. Now I was ready for bed, so I didn't have much testing time... But I did start channel surfing SD channels really quick from Ch 48 to 70. Not a single video blackout, and normally by the time you hit Ch 54 or so from 48, there would be a momentary 1 sec blackout. When I get home from work I'll test more with our recordings, but so far it could be a promising fix.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

Still happens during rapid 30-sec skips. You'd think it was a coincidence and you were just seeing the black transition in between commercials, however the time bar disappears too. There is no HDMI handshake going on, and per the TV the resolution stays intact at 480p on the SD channels it happens on.

Seems to happen more on Viacom SD channels like VH1, MTV, and NBC Universal such as Bravo. Didn't see it happen on BBC America for example.

Maybe I should unplug and replug the HDMI cable? The TV says Anynet is off, but maybe it doesn't take effect until the device is replugged into that port. Also maybe I should unplug the TV from the wall for 30 seconds. Maybe it's internal circuitry just needs a reboot.