uniqs
share rss forum feed

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

Dealers Stickers on Car

Why do car dealers HAVE to put a dealer logo sticker on a new car? Why should I have to pay to advertise for them for the life of the car? I wouldn't mind a license plate frame that I can remove if I want, but the decals and metal logo plates are too much. Once the check gets to them, it's my car!

Most dealers not put the sticker on as part of the new car prep before it hits the lot, so trying to take it off is almost useless!

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40
Why don't you insist that they remove their advertisements before you sign off on the purchase? They'll be more than happy to oblige since making a sale beats losing one due to a silly sticker.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

TearAbite
D'oh

join:2001-07-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
kudos:2
reply to stevek1949
That must be a regional thing.. i've seen those logos before - almost always from out of state.. i've never seen a native one out here..

anyway, like the R-man said, tell them to remove it, or, go down the road to another dealer that doesnt put them on.
--
Don't hate OS X users because of YOUR poor choice in an OS..

sapo
Cruising Down Memory Lane
Premium
join:2002-09-16
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
reply to stevek1949
I have not seen this around me. Dealers here just put a paper with their name on it where the license plate will go in the future.
--
Purple Drink

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
reply to stevek1949
Starting in the 1980s, some states require that dealers either have the express permission of the customer to have their name visible on a new vehicle once delivered, or to at least honor requests from a customer to not place it. Many dealers offer incentives to get customers to let them. I don't know what Virginia's policy is...you should check with your state's consumer affairs department.
--
Equality and respect is for everyone, not just those you deem worthy.

Nate425
Premium
join:2005-02-03
Charlottesville, VA
reply to stevek1949
A hair dryer and some patience will take that right off. But I'd ask the dealership to take it off. They're not going to lose a sale over that.

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01
reply to stevek1949
said by stevek1949:

Why do car dealers HAVE to put a dealer logo sticker on a new car? Why should I have to pay to advertise for them for the life of the car? I wouldn't mind a license plate frame that I can remove if I want, but the decals and metal logo plates are too much. Once the check gets to them, it's my car!

Most dealers not put the sticker on as part of the new car prep before it hits the lot, so trying to take it off is almost useless!
Can you post an example, never seen it before

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY
kudos:9
reply to stevek1949
Whenever my Dad bought a car, he'd insist they took 'em off before he drove it away, or else he wanted $ for the free advertisement. (This was back in the 50's, 60's, 70's) They always complied.

Technogeez
Agape in amazement.
Premium
join:2007-01-20
reply to Nate425
said by Nate425:

A hair dryer and some patience will take that right off.
Dental floss works on the raised plastic/chrome logos...
--
Read your contract and TOS before signing anything.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to stevek1949
Carmax seems to be the worst about doing this, at least around here. I got my previous car from them and it had a large sticker on the back, in two of the windows, and things around both license plates. I was able to easily remove the stickers by just peeling them off and the license plate thing with a screwdriver. They all looked like crap. On my new car, the dealer only put a thing around the license plate, so that is easy to remove.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

Storage_Guy

join:2006-04-30
Benton Harbor, MI

1 recommendation

reply to stevek1949
If you ask the dealer to remove it prior to the sale they will, it might take some arm twisting and they might come up with some BS story that they can't, but they will. I had them do this with my Honda, they told me they could not remove it until I got up and walked out from the deal then their story changed real quick.

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
reply to stevek1949
I've only had one car that had something that looked like a permanent dealer logo, but it turned out to be a sticker with strong adhesive. I had no trouble getting it off. I'm also curious why people continue to drive around with the dealer's license plate frame.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to stevek1949
if you buy new, they will take it off, used, they probably wont....

when i got my new mazda, it wasnt on the lot long enough to have a front plate drilled on. and i do all my own auto work, so when it got home, i grabbed my hair dryer, and dental floss, and took off the badge on the trunk....

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to stevek1949
Stickers & labels come off in seconds. The holes drilled for their dealership's plate in front (no front plates here; front license plate = stupid but I digress) are a permanent disfigurement of the car and I won't buy a vehicle that has had that done. I have walked away from the exact car I wanted because some pinhead drilled the front bumper to install their billboard.
--
John M - Cranky network guy

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
In Ontario everyone has to have plates in the back and front. Not sure why a province or state wouldn't have both. Anyway, back to topic, I have bought 3 new cars, it was only the last one that didn't have that annoying name or logo attached to the rear of the car. (usually the trunk) Bought it did have it on the license plate holder - which I promptly removed and got myself a new one. I'll take some pictures when I am out to show the fine people in California what the first poster was talking about.
--
Attention Humans; we be your pictures, release us!

Homer J
Mmmm, Free Goo

join:2000-10-05
Springfield
reply to stevek1949
I bought the car I am driving new last year. The dealer sticker was real easy to take off, so it was not an issue. I also promptly chucked the license plate holder.
My previous car did not have any dealer insignia, but I think that was a fluke as I saw their logo on the back of other cars.
There's one dealer in the are that puts this huge ugly plastic thing on the back of all new cars. They tried to tell me they were required by law to place it on the car. I laughed and walked away from the salesman.

radiusmax

join:2001-09-11
Plano, TX
reply to stevek1949
Every car I've bought, I've always requested they removed their dealer sticker before I purchased. The dealer has always obliged me with no issues.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to stevek1949
For several years, one of the dealers around here installed a goofy-looking top hat badge (it was their logo, I guess) on every car they sold. I don't know how it was affixed, but I have actually seen metal dealer badges that were riveted through the deck lid. You take it off, and you've got holes in your trunk. Idiocy. Usually that was more common in the '80s and '90s though.

When I bought my GTO, before I even mentioned that I didn't want any of that stuff on there, the dealer told me that the GTOs were always prepped as "enthusiast cars" and thus no dealer stickers, badges, front plate brackets, et. al. were ever installed. Sure enough, the car came to me unadulterated and with the PDI done properly. It's nice to buy a car from dealerships that get it. There are so few such dealerships in existence, however...
--
"I'll follow the law until it's just stupid." -Ted Nugent

Cryptic24
Go Stewie Go Stewie It's Your Birthday
Premium
join:2002-12-17
Corry, PA
reply to stevek1949
I've seen a dealer about 30 miles from me that used to put it's website address in bit letter across the back windows of SUV's and such. Needless to say I never even thought about going there just because of that.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to stevek1949
For those who've never seen this type of stuff, here's one example:

We bought our Odyssey from them and they also put a fairly small sticker on the back hatch. I usually don't even notice it... and yes, it's still there.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to stevek1949
most of mine have done 1 of 3 things

1.) person detailing the vehicle just tossed them (unstuck) in the seat.
2.) fell off after a car wash 2 weeks later
3.) started coming off and I just pulled it off the rest of the way.

I guess I have been lucky.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
reply to stevek1949
This is a pet peeve of mine, too... opt-out dealer advertising.

If they balk when you ask them to remove them, tell them you'll allow them to use your personal property to display their advertising for $1 a day, payable as a discount on the sale, eight years in advance. They'll find a way to get those ads off.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to stevek1949
I would not drive off the lot with one on a vehicle. If you remove it yourself to take a risk of damaging the paint which normally includes a clear coat which is very difficult to remove. In addition I have also had them removed various pinstripes on vehicles, again they didn't mind in order to get the sale. They also swapped front bumpers for me one time when they had already drilled the one on the car I wanted. They will do just about anything to keep the sale.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

1 edit
reply to stevek1949
The places I purchased my cars, don't put it on. The last place I did I TOLD THEM NO STICKER, before I sign.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to Hall
WD-40 removes those stickers quite well.

That's the first thing I do when I get home. remove any dealer stickers or any dealer license plates.

Just got a 2010 Silverado. it had dealer logos on the left and right on the back. how annoying.

redhotnine
Premium
join:2004-08-27
Ardmore, OK

1 recommendation

reply to stevek1949
BWHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!
i will buy your car if you do not put your dealer badges on it! oh, let me talk to my manger, okay we'll do that, sign here. who won that negotiation?
unlike the old days when the deck lids were drilled and the dealer logos were riveted on, most are now just adhesive decals and license plate frames, easily removed by the dealer or customer.

it seems to me that the auto business is unlike anything other. it's chaotically complex, relentless in it's challenges, and then it gets really weird.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

1 edit
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

We bought our Odyssey from them and they also put a fairly small sticker on the back hatch. I usually don't even notice it... and yes, it's still there.
I think this is what he meant though:

»www.directdecals.com/files/images/car_0.jpg
--
Attention Humans; we be your pictures, release us!

ReVeLaTeD
Premium
join:2001-11-10
San Diego, CA
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

[att=1]

You must have posted the wrong picture. All I see is a temporary plate cover, standard for a new vehicle. If you didn't have that on there, you'd get pulled over for having no plate at all.

I remember in the olden days when they would literally attach stickers, decals, and metal letters to the vehicle advertising their cars. Cal Worthington was one of the worst. That practice stopped out here in California, I believe...haven't seen it in a while.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
I said "example"

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

I think this is what he meant though:
Nah, that's exactly what we have left on ours. I left it there.