uniqs

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to goneplaid

Premium Member

to goneplaid

Re: DOCSIS 3 Tiers and 250GB Monthly Bandwidth Limit?

Yes, people do not seem to grasp that you can pay more for TWO things

Speed & Bandwidth use.

Currently, the only variable available on the residential side is speed. On the business side there is (implicit) higher bandwidth use allowed as you go up in speed. Along with dramatically higher costs.

We can (and have) argue if this cost model is a good one for comcast, but for right now it is the only one they offer.

Throttle yourself, or switch to business class and pay more, or find a different provider (if that's an option)
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

Yes, people do not seem to grasp that you can pay more for TWO things

Speed & Bandwidth use.

Currently, the only variable available on the residential side is speed. On the business side there is (implicit) higher bandwidth use allowed as you go up in speed. Along with dramatically higher costs.

We can (and have) argue if this cost model is a good one for comcast, but for right now it is the only one they offer.

Throttle yourself, or switch to business class and pay more, or find a different provider (if that's an option)
I do agree with your post.. however, "dramatically higher costs"... Business class service is not that expensive at $69.00 per month for the 15/5 tier.
goneplaid
join:2010-02-15
Fresno, CA

1 edit

goneplaid

fiberguy, or anyone...

Do you know if the 'business class' service pricing is Dependant upon other services being bundled? For instance, the price I am paying for DOCSIS 3 service was substantially cheaper when bundled in with a Triple Play plan than if I had just ordered a la carte internet.

-update-

If anyone is interested. I just got off the phone with a business class sales person and they do offer bundled services (minus the premium channels). Unfortunately the internet speed available is half of what I have now at twice the cost. I don't think the monthly limit would come into play as much at least not enough to justify the price increase.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

however, "dramatically higher costs"... Business class service is not that expensive at $69.00 per month for the 15/5 tier.
It's $200 for 50/10. That's a fair bit more then $99 for the same speed.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

said by JohnInSJ:

said by fiberguy2:

however, "dramatically higher costs"... Business class service is not that expensive at $69.00 per month for the 15/5 tier.
It's $200 for 50/10. That's a fair bit more then $99 for the same speed.
the OP never said hes on 50/10.......
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

I do agree with your post.. however, "dramatically higher costs"... Business class service is not that expensive at $69.00 per month for the 15/5 tier.
We pay $100/month for 16/2 with 1 Static IP for our business connection. Where do you see $69/month for a 15/5 tier?
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by rugby:

said by fiberguy2:

We pay $100/month for 16/2 with 1 Static IP for our business connection. Where do you see $69/month for a 15/5 tier?
I see it on my bill every month.. I have a business and work from home most of the time. With that, I ONLY have HSI on that account, not included with my personal account, and I pay $69 a month for it, and mine includes a block of 8 IP addresses.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

If I remember correctly, you're in a DOCSIS 3 market - it sounds like rugby is in an area still pending the upgrade.
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby

said by AVonGauss:

If I remember correctly, you're in a DOCSIS 3 market - it sounds like rugby is in an area still pending the upgrade.

That is true. According to our sales rep we should have the upgrade in October 2009.

Yep, still waiting.