spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

catmommy9

join:2010-02-16
Nutting Lake, MA

Can't connect wirelessly to my own network!

This is a bit long, but I figure that someone can better help me if I provide as much information as possible from the get-go.

I have Verizon DSL, with the Westell 327W modem/router that they sent me when I first signed up for the service. Now, I want to be able to connect my netbook and my husband's work laptop wirelessly. I followed all the instructions on Verizon's website for setting up a network, including purchasing a wireless USB adaptor (Belkin N-150) for my desktop, as it didn't come with one built in. The desktop is running Windows XP.

However, when we try to connect either of the laptops to the network, it won't connect...even though we can see the name of the network in the list of all that are in range. I gave it an unusual name, one that no one else would be likely to use, so I know the signal not from a neighbor's house. I did set up a WEP security key so that our skeevy neighbors can't steal our internet, but even when we type that, still no connection.

We could immediately rule out any problems with both laptops' wireless adaptors, as both have been used often in hotels, cafes, and other places with free WiFi, no problem.

So I was reading stuff on many forums, including this one, and many people said that the 327w was a piece of junk as a router, and that I should put it in "bridge mode", buy a new router, and set it up that way. So I went and bought a Belkin N-150 to go with the wireless adaptor.

I followed the instructions in the FAQ on this site for setting up the Westell in bridge mode, no problem. Hooked up the router exactly according to Belkin's instructions...DSL cord from wall to computer, connected Westell to Belkin with the enclosed Ethernet cable, and Belkin to computer with another Ethernet cable. Turned everything on as instructed, ran Setup Assistant CD. It detected the router just fine, went through the whole setup process, at first, looked like everything was okay.

But I still can't connect wirelessly. The router itself will not connect to the internet, although the desktop connects via the Westell. The "internet" light on the Belkin either doesn't come on at all, or is a blinking orange. Modem light is always a blinking orange, manual said that it's because there's something wrong with the modem. But it doesn't say how to fix it.

So, is there anything that I need to double-check, anything I may have overlooked here? I'm totally losing it here. Thanks in advance!

stevech0

join:2006-09-17
San Diego, CA

1 edit
Westell supplied by Verizon?
Insist they send out a level x tech or do so by phone - to show how THEIR device serves out WiFi properly to their subscriber's laptop.

My brother-in-law has one of these, from Verizon. They talked him through setting it up correctly, then putting matching SSID and encryption settings into his laptop.

We could try to help you through the process but via forum keyboarding, it's too hard.

Insist that Verizon do this for you.

jkxmlr

join:2007-04-03
Freelandville, IN

2 edits
reply to catmommy9
" including purchasing a wireless USB adaptor (Belkin N-150) for my desktop, as it didn't come with one built in."
Why? BEST to have your DSL modem and the router at the desktop.
"I did set up a WEP security key so that our skeevy neighbors can't steal our internet"
Get it working first, then secure if needed.

"Hooked up the router exactly according to Belkin's instructions...DSL cord from wall to computer, connected Westell to Belkin with the enclosed Ethernet cable, and Belkin to computer with another Ethernet cable."
Lost me here. Unplug everything, including powers.
Phone line from wall to DSL modem(power up modem)-Ethernet cable from modem to WAN port router(power up router)-Ethernet cable from router to desktop.
At this point you should have solid lights on modem and router should show internet and 1 LAN light. At this point, you "should" have wireless available. Run the CD again adn you should be good to go.

Oops. Reread your post again. You already had a modem/wireless router? And you were already using it only through wired connection to Desktop?