how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

norrikkarn

join:2010-02-16
Livermore, CA

Comcast and BitTorrent

All my searching on this forum has led me to tons of speculative information. Some say that Comcast is not filtering/shaping/throttling etc. torrent traffic, and some say it is the case.

I have had Comcast for about 4 months. For the last 3 months I have had almost no problems using bittorrent. Now just in the last week, if I turn off bittorrent I have no problems with my connection. But if I turn on bittorrent, the cable modem's connection drops EXACTLY every 6 minutes.

It is NOT a settings issue, I have the number of connections at 500, download speed is capped at 800k and upload speed is capped at 150k. This worked fine for 3 months and change with no problems. It's also not an equipment issue as using other high bandwidth applications does not cause the cable modem to restart. Only bittorrent.

Does anyone know what's going on with my connection? If they were throttling the speed of torrent traffic it would be fine by me because it wouldn't interfere with surfing the web or playing online games - but when it disconnects it takes about a minute or two before I can reconnect, and if I am playing Battlefield or Counterstrike, then it completely wrecks playing for me.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:22

Just in case you missed these related links from the stickied thread:

Subtopics about the new Congestion Management System:

Comcast Clarification on Network Management System
»Question about new throttling system
»Comcast does not "throttle" YouTube or Hulu
»[NEWS]Comcast quits throttling bit torrent
»Comcast does not "throttle" Netflix
»[Resolved] Comcast messing with my torrent?
»Comcast Caps/Throttle
»Bittorrent activity causes disconnects
»[Congestion Mgmt] Comcast checking BT port
»Can exceeding the cap affect your speeds?
»[Connectivity] Throttle on torrent?
»CC's Protocol-Agnostic Congestion Management System Draft
»M-Lab test results
»Blatant Throttling
»Comcast announces new bandwidth throttling scheme
»Comcast announces new bandwidth throttling scheme
»This is how Comcast's congestion management works
»Is Comcast "throttling" torrent downloads in Oakland?
»What's the congestion management system for again?

Congestion Management System - Is it throttling?
»[Speed] Does Comcast Throttle Following Large Download Sessions
»Comcast QOS system is not a "throttling" system
Another post from jlivingood See Profile inre throttling
»Is the Comcast Congestion Management System Throttling?
»Is the Comcast Congestion Management System Throttling?
»Here we go again about bandwidth throttling ...
»Re: Here we go again about bandwidth throttling ...
»Re: Here we go again about bandwidth throttling ...
»FTP throttling? (No, it is some other issue)
»time limited throttling
»Seems like Usenet getting throttled
»Throttling?
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

crucialcolin

join:2004-09-12
Roseville, CA
reply to norrikkarn

From what I understand Comcast is no longer throttling but they do have a 250GB total transfer cap. If you go over that cap they might send you an abuse notice/warning not to do it again or they will disconnect your cable service.

It sounds like however something has recently changed causing the disconnects possibly your modem or router overheating with 500 or more peer connections. That's a lot of connections and most consumer grade equipment cant handle that much without hickups. I think the norm is about 250 or so max. Ive lowering your max torrent connections a try first to see if it doesn't resolve the issue. Otherwise something else might be going on there.
--
»www.crucialcolin.com/ | »www.pcgeektech.com

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to norrikkarn

and 150k up is pretty high as well......nothing like screaming "HEY IM SHARING FILES!!"

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to norrikkarn

said by norrikkarn:

some say it is the case.
These people are wrong. Post in the normal troubleshooting forum, and in comcast direct, and get your problem diagnosed and fixed.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1
reply to norrikkarn

Comcast does employ congestion management, however they would not shut down your connection. Additionally, Comcast's technique is “protocol-agnostic,” which means that the system does not manage congestion based on the applications being used by customers.

I would suspect 1) Saturated upstream (try 10K) or 2) Overloaded router.
--
[Insert Comcast employee disclaimer here.]

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to norrikkarn

What model modem?

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to nerdburg

On second thought, there have been a lot of people complaining about the same issue lately...
--

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
reply to norrikkarn

Same/similar thing: »[Connectivity] Sync & connection loss with torrent activity

???

Jim

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL

4 edits
reply to norrikkarn

85% of my traffic is Bit Torrent uploading. It must be you. Oh and yes, I've went over the cap the last 3 months and am well on my way to a 4th month and not a peep from Comcast. DOC SIS 3 is awesome. I have a 12/2 connection BTW.

Also, I'm on the verge of a 10/1 ratio. I don't know how big of a deal that is. It was around 3/1 when my area upgraded to DOC SIS 3 in October.

Either my node is very empty or since the majority is uploading, they don't care about the bandwidth usage.
--Bit Torrent is my DVR.

crucialcolin

join:2004-09-12
Roseville, CA
reply to norrikkarn

You know I haven't heard of comcast sending out any warning notices lately especially since DOCSIS 3.0 started being rolled out. Also they are rolling out that bandwidth meter on the site too. Makes me wonder if they are giving people a break until that's completed.
--
»www.crucialcolin.com/ | »www.pcgeektech.com

gr8sk8

join:2010-02-23
Bloomfield, NJ
reply to norrikkarn

I have noticed the same thing happening to me in the last month and it looks like either Comcast is disconnecting my modem when it detects bittorrent traffic, or I have something wrong with my cable modem.

When the disconnect occurs I can log into my router's web ui and see that everything on my internal network is fine, the CPU on the router isn't maxed, nor is the number of connections. I know it's a disconnect because the modem loses it's IP address, if I do a DHCP renew on the WAN, I'll get an IP address of 192.168.100.2 until the modem reconnects, and then I get a normal Comcast IP address.

My cable modem is a Motorla SB5100. I haven't had any problems torrenting heavily in the past, this is something new. I have read somewhere that there might be a bug in a version of the SB5100 firmware, that the modem will freeze or reset from a large number of connections. Unfortunately, I understand it's not something a customer can upgrade, or am I misinformed? I read that the firmware is only made available to ISP's like Comcast - do I have any hope of asking them to push the latest firmware to me if this is a customer owned modem?

I haven't called them yet - I'm not sure their phone support would be able to do anything to help. If it's an active disconnection on their part, I'm sure they'll deny it. Would switching to Verizon FiOS help, or will all ISP's eventually throttle torrent traffic?

OP - Is your modem rented from Comcast, or do you own it? Has anyone else noticed a problem with torrent causing disconnects on Comcast in the last couple of months?

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

said by gr8sk8:

I have something wrong with my cable modem.
It's this. Comcast long ago figured out that picking on a protocol wasn't the right plan, and instead implemented a far simpler, fair, and sane system that changes your packets to a lower priority under specific conditions.

Bittorrent is more then capable of overwhelming cheap routers and modems if either is even remotely marginal, at very high bit/connection rates.

With very careful tuning of my SMC8014, I have 0 issues running torrents over a 12/2 connection. When I was having hardware issues with my 8014, torrents were the easiest way to reproduce the modem issue, since they stressed the hardware most.

To troubleshoot, remove everything from your network, isolate the modem

(pc) -cat5/6-> modem -> coax from the wall...

Run your torrent(s)

Modem falls over? Replace modem.
--

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA

I agree 100% about the routers, but I don't know how a router would make a modem puke.
--

muranternet

join:2009-10-19
Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

With very careful tuning of my SMC8014, I have 0 issues running torrents over a 12/2 connection. When I was having hardware issues with my 8014, torrents were the easiest way to reproduce the modem issue, since they stressed the hardware most.
John would you mind posting your configuration? I have noticed odd behavior when stressing and am trying to determine if it's an 8014 config issue or a local stack problem.

chong67

join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA

I sure would not want to stick my head out in the sand and wave and said "here I am, come get me".

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to muranternet

said by muranternet:

John would you mind posting your configuration? I have noticed odd behavior when stressing and am trying to determine if it's an 8014 config issue or a local stack problem.
Sure, its pretty much in the "turn it all off" mode. I have static IPs, and I use a Linux box as my router/firewall. I have torrents set to use unlimited down, and 50% of the uplink, max 200 (or 250?) connections per torrent. I'll post the exact settings later today.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to chong67

said by chong67:

I sure would not want to stick my head out in the sand and wave and said "here I am, come get me".
What do you mean?
--

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL

3 edits

said by JohnInSJ:

said by chong67:

What do you mean?
I think he 's talking to me. See my previous post.
Or maybe he's saying anybody that uses Bit Torrent shouldn't confess it here.

I would've went over 400GB again this month(I still have an outside chance) if not for the 40 year old breaker box in my house being on its last legs and causing the server PC to shut off. It doesn't turn back on for some reason either. Maybe I should have the power failure setting whatever its called in the BIOS set to Power-On instead Last State? I'm going for 500GB next month.
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.