That junk is useless...

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5

said by R4M0N:

That junk is useless...
Care to elaborate? Tough to respond to something that content-free...

I've watched ESPN360.com on occasion and it's been fine for me.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1

said by MyDogHsFleas:

said by R4M0N:

That junk is useless...
Care to elaborate? Tough to respond to something that content-free...

I've watched ESPN360.com on occasion and it's been fine for me.
It's not free, it's just that you, as the consumer, have very little control over the supply and demand of this product. Comcast, Verizon, or whatever other provider that carries ESPN360 has to pay money for this option, and it affects everyone's overall prices, even if you never use it. The pricing model for ESPN360 is based on the number of subscribers an ISP has, which makes it cheaper per customer for a giant like Comcast, but a significant expense for a smaller, budding ISP.

mod_wastrel
iamwhatiam

join:2008-03-28

1 edit

1 recommendation

Ahh, yes... if only I could opt-out and reduce my bill by that amount [no matter how small it is--simply on priciple]. Just serve me up as dumb a pipe as possible, thank you. (I know... it'll never happen.)

[Edit:] BTW, doesn't "content-free" here refer to the replied to post and not ESPN360 (aka the [ESPN] content)? (Well, that's how I read it.)

toddbs98

join:2000-07-08
North Little Rock, AR
reply to jmn1207

How is this different from paying the cable company for all the channels I don't watch? Having them available for you to watch increases my cable bill so they should be dropped.
--
Patriots always speak of dying for their country never killing for it. Bertrand Russell

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA

said by toddbs98:

How is this different from paying the cable company for all the channels I don't watch? Having them available for you to watch increases my cable bill so they should be dropped.
It isn't different, and that's the problem. We are paying too much, there are many annoying restrictions, and the quality is not where it should be. It's just the beginning of another RIAA vs the consumers battle, but now with TV content.

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
reply to jmn1207

lol .... "content-free" referred to your OP which stated in it's entirety: "This junk is useless.."

"You, the consumer, have very little control..."

Well, yes and no. I as the consumer do not get to fine-tune exactly how someone brings their offerings to market or how they get revenue. However, I have the ultimate power to buy or not buy, or to buy someone else's offering. Eventually that feedback loop will affect the offerings and pricing, if my dollar votes are replicated enough across the marketplace. And if artificial constraints aren't put in the way (like too many regulations or bailouts, or allowing a monopoly to dictate the marketplace).