88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned) to 56403739

to 56403739

Re: ESPN is not "the Internet"

said by 56403739:

And neither is HBO or NBC. They are doing what they want with their own product. This is not the same as an ISP blocking a third party.

In fact, this is no different than Disney's move of Monday Night Football from the OTA ABC network to ESPN.
So be force to pay hundreds or more than $1000 a year for TV to get olympics even though you can get NBC for free? I call bullshit.

Once again media companies have ZERO clue. Raping people is not the answer.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

So be force to pay hundreds or more than $1000 a year for TV to get olympics even though you can get NBC for free? I call bullshit.
BS indeed, since you aren't forced to pay anything. Throw up the rabbit ears and enjoy the Olympics if you really want to watch them
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by openbox9:

said by 88615298:

BS indeed, since you aren't forced to pay anything. Throw up the rabbit ears and enjoy the Olympics if you really want to watch them
I have internet what if I want to watch online later because I'm not at home?
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

DVR?
chimera4
join:2009-06-09
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

chimera4

How about if I don't want to be forced to pay for content I don't use, and my ISP decides to force me to either pay for it (out of my normal bill) or find a new provider? Stopping this sort of conduct is exactly what the net neutrality fight is about. If companies want to be paid for content, fine. Give consumers the right to pay you directly for it.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

While I agree that these deals are definitely not in the interests of consumers, that's not what 88615298 See Profile's point was about.

FWIW, this conduct is not what net neutrality is about. Net neutrality is about preventing preferential treatment of one content source/protocol over another competing source/protocol. As long as the ISPs don't increase the priority of the ESPN, HBO, etc., streams over other data passing through their control, the concept of net neutrality isn't an issue.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to openbox9

to openbox9
said by openbox9:

DVR?
Never owned one don't plan on it. Got to pay hundreds for a Tivo AND pay a monthly subscription? Can you say rip off?
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

You don't need a Tivo or monthly subscriptions. Build your own. A little initiative on your part may help you out significantly.
chimera4
Washington, DC

chimera4 to openbox9

to openbox9
Except ISPs are giving preferential treatment by paying the source providers directly to access this content instead of simply moving the content they provide over their networks. If this was all happening behind the scenes based on peering or data usage metrics it would be one thing, but it isn't and that affects how the network as a whole operates.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Paying for access to content is not preferential treatment. This has happened for a long time in the content distribution arena. Unless the ISPs are discriminating against other data streams in favor of another data stream, it's not a net neutrality issue.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by openbox9:

DVR?
Never owned one don't plan on it. Got to pay hundreds for a Tivo AND pay a monthly subscription? Can you say rip off?
Rent one from your cable company if you don't want to pay TiVo.

If you have only rabbit ears, windows 7 and vista come with media center. All you need is a tuner stick or tuner card.
chimera4
Washington, DC

chimera4 to openbox9

to openbox9
There is more to a network than just packets. The existence of this type of model will eventually force ISPs to ration which services they provide access to, and then we run into a case where large sections of the internet start being blocked off. Preventing large providers from having the power to block off, limit access to to impede access to portions of the internet is exactly what network neutrality is about.

The second an ISP has to tell you that you need to pay an extra ten dollars if you want to be able to access your company's web server or Google News network neutrality has failed.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

said by chimera4:

then we run into a case where large sections of the internet start being blocked off. Preventing large providers from having the power to block off, limit access to to impede access to portions of the internet is exactly what network neutrality is about.
What is being blocked? This is where I'm losing you. If I want to watch ESPN, or the Olympics, or ________ (insert content of choice), then I purchase said content. Choice exists to allow me access to whatever content I want. You may not like the price, or the distribution mechanism, but the access exists.
said by chimera4:

The second an ISP has to tell you that you need to pay an extra ten dollars if you want to be able to access your company's web server or Google News network neutrality has failed.
Ok, but that's not what we're discussing here.