Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to 56403739

Re: ESPN is not "the Internet"

Your insistence that all video product being available via all distribution channels as some kind of fundamental right.
Nowhere was this said.
You can't seem to get past the fact that they dare ask to be paid.
Not only making straw men (How dare companies demand to be paid!), you're also missing every single point made in the article, RadioDoc. (doh)

One, NBC's Olympic streaming service creates a broken paywall apparatus many users say is not working. Despite offering coverage free over the air with ads, for whatever reason offering free live streaming with ads is considered some kind of insanity by terrified NBC executives. They're simply trying to pretend the open Internet doesn't exist and in the process made it harder to access their content. Genius!

Two, restricting user access to content based on their ISP also tries to obliterate the open Internet concept by trying to scare ISPs into ponying up for content. It drives up end user cost, further marginalizes already incredibly marginalized smaller ISPs who can't afford to pay, and also tries to pretend the open Internet can be beaten back with enough force.

BBBanditRuR
Dingbits

join:2009-06-02
Parachute, CO

1 edit
Again, with all this technology, we're unable to access content. I can't get OTA, but I have Internet, and yet STILL cannot (legally) get coverage.

Oh well, guess the local pub will have to do, they have a bigger screen anyways.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

Two, restricting user access to content based on their ISP also tries to obliterate the open Internet concept by trying to scare ISPs into ponying up for content. It drives up end user cost, further marginalizes already incredibly marginalized smaller ISPs who can't afford to pay, and also tries to pretend the open Internet can be beaten back with enough force.
i'm even more frustrated that i can't view the content from university. i could only imagine the frustration of international students not able to view their home team in full. complete and utter bull as far as i'm concerned.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

reply to Karl Bode
Think DirecTV and Sunday Ticket model moved to the 'Net.

In order to keep subscribers, ISP's run around and license "exclusive" content with popular websites. Wrong ISP= no content for you! ... They pay whatever they have too.

Then they raise the rates of all their customers to cover this expense. We all lose. Is the future of the Internet? Seems likely.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39
reply to tubbynet
Yeah I didn't even think about the fact that people who pay for NBC TV service at home can't access this content while at work or away from home....in an age where broadband and Wi-Fi are everywhere, no less...