Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

UPNP causes Packet Loss?

Hello everyone,

I have a Belkin F5D7230-4 v5000. I would post this in the Belkin forum but there is limited activity there. When I activate UPNP, two laptops experience terrible packet loss. Both are connected wireless. The ethernet connected PC's do not experience any packet loss. However, the PS3 and one of the xbox's connection through wifi do not experience any lag what so ever. I am speechless as having UPNP enabled helps because I have two xbox's that sign into live. When I do not have it set, one xbox occasionally gets kicked off line when the other signs in. Why would UPNP cause packet loss?
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

cacroll
Eventually, Prozac becomes normal
Premium
join:2002-07-25
Martinez, CA

said by MuDvAyNe:

Hello everyone,

I have a Belkin F5D7230-4 v5000. I would post this in the Belkin forum but there is limited activity there. When I activate UPNP, two laptops experience terrible packet loss. Both are connected wireless. The ethernet connected PC's do not experience any packet loss. However, the PS3 and one of the xbox's connection through wifi do not experience any lag what so ever. I am speechless as having UPNP enabled helps because I have two xbox's that sign into live. When I do not have it set, one xbox occasionally gets kicked off line when the other signs in. Why would UPNP cause packet loss?

What applications require UPnP? Might those applications be generating traffic, that overloads the router and causes dropped packets?
--
Cheers,
Chuck
MS-MVP 2005-2009 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
Nitecruzr Dot Net

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

None really require UPNP but I've read that it helps with the Xbox's. However I have tested the connections when the Xbox's are not online and it still causes packet loss on the laptops.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

cacroll
Premium
Martinez, CA

1 edit

said by MuDvAyNe:

None really require UPNP but I've read that it helps with the Xbox's. However I have tested the connections when the Xbox's are not online and it still causes packet loss on the laptops.

Two possibilities:
1. When UPnP is activated, a marginally stable router is busier, causing it to drop packets.
2. When UPnP is activated, traffic permitted by UPnP controlled ports is overwhelming the router or possibly your Internet service, causing a router to drop packets.

#1 is a possibility, but I'd believe #2 and your router first.

Of course, your router could be the problem. Have you checked with Belkin (maybe online forum) to see if there are any known issues? Have you applied the most up to date firmware?
--
Cheers,
Chuck
Nitecruzr Dot Net

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

I have the latest firmware. I am also unable to find any problem like this anywhere. The Belkin live tech support is useless as well.

I believe it's my router. It has always been hit or miss with this router for a few years now. Belkin has been a headache. I just need to save up some money now and buy a Linksys.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

cacroll
Premium
Martinez, CA

said by MuDvAyNe:

I
I believe it's my router. It has always been hit or miss with this router for a few years now. Belkin has been a headache.

I don't think that you're the first Belkin customer to suggest this. Linksys or Zyxel would be my recommendation. I hate Zyxel because I am never sure if it's spelled right.
--
Cheers,
Chuck
Nitecruzr Dot Net

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

Just talked to tech support again and they say UPNP should not be causing packet loss at all and it is my laptop that is the problem. Yet when I disable the UPNP feature I get no packet loss at all!
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils