spc
Search similar:

uniqs

itsjustwho
@comcast.net

itsjustwho

Anon

DCX3400 DVR cable box..What tools are needed to take apart

Anybody know what type of tool or any tool that I can use to take apart my DCX3400 Motorola DVR box
jjv124
join:2009-11-21
Hanover, PA

jjv124

I'll just say that it's probably not a good idea to take that box apart.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to itsjustwho

MVM

to itsjustwho
Be careful. There may be security seals on it, not always visible from the outside, and if they determine it has been opened, they could fine you.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

THZNDUP to itsjustwho

Premium Member

to itsjustwho
said by itsjustwho :

Anybody know what type of tool or any tool that I can use to take apart my DCX3400 Motorola DVR box
Didn't you really mean to say Comcast's DCX340 Motorola DVR box ?

itsjustwho
@comcast.net

itsjustwho

Anon

Yes I did. I own the box. It has special screws on the box. What tool is needed?

itsjustme
@comcast.net

itsjustme to itsjustwho

Anon

to itsjustwho
I own the box... So taking it apart is okay.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

THZNDUP to itsjustwho

Premium Member

to itsjustwho
said by itsjustwho :

Yes I did. I own the box. It has special screws on the box. What tool is needed?
Then it shouldn't be too hard to get that info from where you got the box. Check your warranty.
crucialcolin11
join:2004-09-12
Roseville, CA

crucialcolin11 to itsjustwho

to itsjustwho
uhmm this thread sounds kind of fishy to me...

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Yes it does a anonymous poster that wants to take apart a Motorola stb that's belongs to Comcast.
jjv124
join:2009-11-21
Hanover, PA

jjv124 to THZNDUP

to THZNDUP
said by THZNDUP:

said by itsjustwho :

Then it shouldn't be too hard to get that info from where you got the box. Check your warranty.
+1

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn to itsjustwho

MVM

to itsjustwho
Motorola does not sell boxes directly to consumers. If you bought it at Ebay, you were robbed. Taking it apart will not reveal any way to make it work.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

said by owlyn:

Motorola does not sell boxes directly to consumers. If you bought it at Ebay, you were robbed. Taking it apart will not reveal any way to make it work.
you can buy them from cable co's in canada and even from best buy / other stores.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by Joe12345678:
said by owlyn:

you can buy them from cable co's in canada and even from best buy / other stores.
He did not post where he from. Yes you can in Canada but his posting has Comcast.net which is only in the us.
jwhite4
join:2002-03-21
Philadelphia, PA

jwhite4 to itsjustwho

to itsjustwho
I took apart an old Gerrold analog box years (decades?) ago (at the time I was doing work for a small cable firm, which had the special screwdriver for the screwheads). Two things I remember:

1. There was a daughterboard which was completed encapsulated in plastic. My assumption was that it was the encryption chip, and Gerrold didn't even want you access to the pinouts of it.

2. There was a microswitch in it that, once tripped, threw up an error code on the display, and stopped it working. I think I remember calling up Comcast, said, "I was moving the box, it fell on the floor, it's not working anymore..", hoping maybe they'd think the fall triggered what I'd guess is ordinarily an 'intrusion' code. [No problems getting it reactivated BTW.]

Jeff

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to itsjustwho

Premium Member

to itsjustwho
There are security seals and such inside that box that make it very obvious the cover was removed. If you have a Comcast marked box, it is not to be taken apart and property of comcast no matter where you bought it.

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn to Joe12345678

MVM

to Joe12345678
said by Joe12345678:

said by owlyn:

I know you can buy them in Canada, but it looked like he was from the U.S. (comcast.net). Also, if someone paid full price for it, I can't imagine he'd want to take it apart.
Joe12345678
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

said by owlyn:

said by Joe12345678:

said by owlyn:

I know you can buy them in Canada, but it looked like he was from the U.S. (comcast.net). Also, if someone paid full price for it, I can't imagine he'd want to take it apart.
d
Maybe he wants to put in a bigger HDD?

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to itsjustwho

MVM

to itsjustwho
I don't know about the DCX, but usually these things use Security Torx bits.
»www.amazon.com/pc-Torx-D ··· hi_img_b

You ask the question and there's my answer. Just don't take apart a box that doesn't belong to you. If you got ripped off on E-Bay and you just figured out that you have a huge paperweight and want to harvest the hard drive out of it, then fine. But if you got this from Comcast, then stop right now.

Can't say you weren't warned.

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn to Joe12345678

MVM

to Joe12345678
said by Joe12345678:

d
You can't just put in a bigger drive. It needs to be formatted by the box's OS, which you do not have access to.
Joe12345678
Des Plaines, IL

1 edit

Joe12345678

said by owlyn:

said by Joe12345678:

d
You can't just put in a bigger drive. It needs to be formatted by the box's OS, which you do not have access to.
they do not auto formatted?

The Direct tv boxs will do that for a E-sata or any disk on the build insata port.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

said by Joe12345678:

said by owlyn:

said by Joe12345678:

d
they do not auto formatted?

The Direct tv boxs will do that for a E-sata or any disk on the build insata port.
eSATA ports are a lot different from the internal drive. They are designed to have drives connected - Cable boxes do this as well if enabled.

Usually the firmware is looking for a particular size drive, make, and model. If you change it, 99/100 it will not do anything but blink.

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
join:2009-09-07
Great White

1 edit

Tordek7 to Joe12345678

Premium Member

to Joe12345678
said by Joe12345678:

said by owlyn:

Not the DCX series you can't only the DCT

Not to mention it seems he was scared away haha
Joe12345678
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

said by Tordek7:

said by Joe12345678:

said by owlyn:

Not the DCX series you can't only the DCT

Not to mention it seems he was scared away haha
DCX boxes for sale hear

»www.nwtel.ca/personal/tv ··· ceivers/

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly to itsjustwho

to itsjustwho
notice the .ca on the domain name, that significance its a Canadian web site
tommyBoythec
join:2009-06-27

tommyBoythec to itsjustwho

to itsjustwho
well, itsjustwho
you will need a few tools and you can find them by using any search engine. you just need to know what to look for.

here is what you'll need.
1. 3.8mm Gamebit 4.5mm Gamebits (this is the tool to take off the security screws)
2. Motorola DVR Jerrold Plastic Anti-Tamper Tab Plug Seal Lock (this is a security tab that will break when you remove the top of the dvr or hd-pvr). you will need to replace this. ok, so get lots of them
3. Motorola Cable TV Box Replacement Security Screws (these are the original screws that go into the dvr in case you drop one and lose it)

thats it basically. i got all my stuff including the hard drive from newelectronx. hope this helps..