DarkSithPro

join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Wolfie00

Re: 2010 Anti Virus Poll

said by Wolfie00:

I'll add my thanks too for the poll, and to all the respondents. It's valuable because this stuff changes all the time -- last year's top performer might be this year's crap, or vice versa!

I tend to go with Norton/Symantec for most systems, but I still have faith in Kaspersky as having the best detection, only I've had performance issues with some apps with KAV installed. That's why my current answer to the question "what's the best anti-virus in 2010?" is another question, "Best for what? Who's the user? How knowledgeable are they? What are the risk exposures?"

A friend of mine recently got two computers infected with a new variant of the annoying "Internet Security 2010" malware, which can be tough to remove and I was the one stuck doing it, so I'm as appreciative of good AV's and safe computing practices as anyone!
I've been using KIS for years now, but recently I've been noticing Norton AV has been detecting quite a few critters KAV seemes to miss lately.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

1 recommendation

said by DarkSithPro:

I've been using KIS for years now, but recently I've been noticing Norton AV has been detecting quite a few critters KAV seemes to miss lately.
That's always going to happen, since none of them are perfect. But I used KAV recently to find a rootkit that none of the other things I tried seemed to be able to find, including Norton and Malwarebytes. It couldn't remove it, but at least it told me where it was!
--
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -- a corollary of Murphy's Law
"A dog is like a child who never grows old ... always there to love and be loved" -- Aaron Katcher