Kitchener, ON
reply to InvalidError

Re: IPv6 Testers

said by InvalidError:

You get 2^n-3 usable addresses:
- base(+0) is used to identify the network
- another address (usually base+1) is used for the default gateway
- base+2^n-1 is used for broadcast

So, a /24 would have 253 usable addresses in it.

There are ways to cheat around some of this though... like allocating a /29 instead of a /30 so the gateway can sit outside the designated IP range.
Thanks for clarifying. I'd long forgotten how that worked!

Tack

join:2007-10-23
Waterloo, ON

2 edits
reply to TemporalFlux

Re: Google services/YouTube via v6

said by TemporalFlux:

Oh I get it! fe80 is not a loopback it's something else! Time for me to do some reading!
fe80::/10 is the link-local prefix. You can ping other addresses on the link but you have to specify the interface, because while (statelessly autoconfigured) link-local addresses are guaranteed to be unique on a given link, they're not guaranteed to be unique across multiple links.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to Inssomniak

said by Inssomniak:

You guys only testing with tomato?

Mikrotik is also an inexpensive ipv6 capable router, Id like to get wet feet with ipv6 and this OS.
Disregard this.

Seems at one point ipv6 over PPPoE did work with this OS, but they removed it citing some bug, no timeline on when its gonna work again.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

Rand2k1

join:2003-12-09
Canada
reply to 86677931
How do you find out a tomato routers full ipv6 address? I can't see it listed anywhere, and it appears to be not passing out a proper ipv6 gateway address.

Salaman

join:2008-04-04
Pointe-Claire, QC
reply to 86677931
I'm getting the same problem as a few users here.

Using the latest 1.27 Tomato (Gabe's mod), IPv6 will not work (timeouts to sites that use it). Worked fine with the 1.19 version tho. Tried putting a /56 and a /64 in the IPv6 field to no avail.

t3nk3n

join:2010-02-24
Mississauga, ON
reply to 86677931
After upgrading to Tomato/MLPPP/IPv6 Version 1.27-mp3alpha7 in the router log I'm now getting this error:

icmpv6_send: no reply to icmp error

I've enter the ipv6 address assigned to me and set /56 what could be wrong.

davidbb29

join:2010-02-25

2 edits
reply to 86677931
Not sure if the Tomato builds offered here have this, but just in case they don't, you may want to configure a 6to4 tunnel too so that packets that have a 6to4 address as a destination are sent over IPv4 rather than IPv6. In my experience this has reduced RTT by about 100-200ms because packets skip the last 6to4 gateway hop (192.88.99.1). Here's how to do it:

ip tunnel add tun6to4 mode sit ttl 64 remote any local YOURIPV4
ip link set dev tun6to4 up
route -6 add 2002::/16 dev tun6to4

YOURIPV4 must be your public IPv4 address assigned to your ppp interface.

To test, ping a 6to4 host (IPv6 starting with 2002) before and after adding the static route on line 3. Notice the lower RTT time!

MaverickHL

join:2006-01-20

1 edit
reply to Salaman
said by Salaman:

I'm getting the same problem as a few users here.

Using the latest 1.27 Tomato (Gabe's mod), IPv6 will not work (timeouts to sites that use it). Worked fine with the 1.19 version tho. Tried putting a /56 and a /64 in the IPv6 field to no avail.
It could be. I just upgraded this afternoon to 1.27, but I still can reach ipv6.google.com and some sites based on a link I posted a couple pages back. Of course there are sites that will timeout of course. If Gabe needs a list of my results I can give it.

Salaman

join:2008-04-04
Pointe-Claire, QC
reply to t3nk3n
said by t3nk3n:

After upgrading to Tomato/MLPPP/IPv6 Version 1.27-mp3alpha7 in the router log I'm now getting this error:

icmpv6_send: no reply to icmp error

I've enter the ipv6 address assigned to me and set /56 what could be wrong.
Same thing here, looks like something is wrong with the firmware... »Re: IPv6 beta

daboom
Premium
join:2001-12-16
Oshawa, ON

2 edits
Hey peeps having a problem with the latest build..

If you can login via ssh to ur router and do a ifconfig and look at the br0 interface info. does it have ur ipv6 address with a prefix of /0? at the end if so I had the same issue no amount of reflashing or nvram updates would fix this. work around was to del that line and add a new one with proper router/56 address. worked like a charm let me know if this helps ya.

Lines to fix this in case it does ps this all resets if u reboot router or make major changes.

ip -6 addr del your 56 address here::1/0 dev br0
ip -6 addr add your 56 address here::1/56 dev br0

I was up till 4 am figuring this all out.

Rand2k1

Canada
reply to 86677931
so that sort worked.... oddly enough I noticed the /0, thought huh... thats odd and carried on like it was normal.

Anyways, Windows now tells me I have ipv6 internet connectivity, but I can't actually do anything, no ping, nothing.

DNS resolves though.

t3nk3n

join:2010-02-24
Mississauga, ON
reply to daboom
Thanks you it works nicely, I guess I'm not gonna to restart or do any major changes on the router until the native ipv6 support firmware comes out.

m1k_3

join:2007-09-25

1 edit
reply to Rand2k1
said by Rand2k1:

so that sort worked.... oddly enough I noticed the /0, thought huh... thats odd and carried on like it was normal.

Anyways, Windows now tells me I have ipv6 internet connectivity, but I can't actually do anything, no ping, nothing.

DNS resolves though.
I had the same problem after correcting the subnet mask that daboom pointed out. I had to add the following route to get everything to work:

ip -6 route add 2000::/3 dev ppp0

daboom
Premium
Oshawa, ON
Sometimes a disable and reable of the adaptor will work or a reboot or adding the route command might help.

Rand2k1

Canada
reply to m1k_3
That did it, Thanks man.

Also, its quite amusing to pull up whatismyipv6.net on my desktop and laptop and see different addresses for some reason .

zadigre

join:2006-10-02
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to 86677931
IPv6 works fine for me with my WRT54GL router...
It works perfectly fine on my Windows 7 Laptop and my Windows XP desktop...

I have a little "concern" for my Mac... when trying to access a website that has IPv4 and IPv6, my Mac defaults to the IPv4 "version" while my Windows computers load the IPv6 "version"...
On my Mac when trying to load IPv6 only website, it loads fine...

what could be the "problem"?

Rand2k1

Canada
reply to 86677931
Interestingly enough, both of my brother printers are now running on IPv6.

I haven't tried making them go IPv6 only, but they pick up an address in the range and are pingable. So when the time comes, I can, theoretically at least, email directly through my printer, via IPv6.

Also, about the mac defaulting to ipv4 thing, no idea, make sure your stuff is up to date. My macbook, which i'm using to write this post appears to go to ipv6 first, at least on »www.apnic.net/ .

vitesse

join:2002-12-17
Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·voip.ms
·Bell Sympatico
·Videotron
reply to 86677931
Was working great on the old 1.19mp2 but not on the new 1.27mp3

On the log I can see this (trying to traceroute ipv6.google.com)
Feb 28 10:50:51 unknown user.warn kernel: NET: 1 messages suppressed.
Feb 28 10:50:51 unknown user.debug kernel: icmpv6_send: no reply to icmp error
--
Connection: Teksavvy 12000/1600 in mlppp
Globaltuners.com Remotely controled Radio scanner

AOD
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by AOD:

ok peeps i was wondering if you guys can access my test ipv6 site unfortunately you need to have ipv4 somewhat due to cira doesn't like ipv6 name servers and that pisses me off
»ipv6.aod999.ca
see if you can access it and get your ipv6 address
I've updated my site now it has a traceroute and a ping let me know if you find a good php whois script. you should try it out
»ipv6.aod999.ca

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Rand2k1
said by Rand2k1:

Also, its quite amusing to pull up whatismyipv6.net on my desktop and laptop and see different addresses for some reason .
some reason? that is exactly what should be happening.

zadigre

join:2006-10-02
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Rand2k1
said by Rand2k1:

Interestingly enough, both of my brother printers are now running on IPv6.

I haven't tried making them go IPv6 only, but they pick up an address in the range and are pingable. So when the time comes, I can, theoretically at least, email directly through my printer, via IPv6.

Also, about the mac defaulting to ipv4 thing, no idea, make sure your stuff is up to date. My macbook, which i'm using to write this post appears to go to ipv6 first, at least on »www.apnic.net/ .
IPv6 seems to work fine now on my Mac, except for one specific website (»www.myipv6.org/)... it loads the IPv4 version on my Mac, IPv6 on my Windows XP and Windows 7 laptop... and yes, my "stuff" is up to date...

rhooper

join:2004-05-06
Ottawa, ON
reply to 86677931
Are there enough of us now using IPV6 to make a request to google for "google over ipv6": »www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

Re: Google services/YouTube via v6

said by TSI Gabe:

It's normal that ppp0 doesn't have any routable address, it picks up what's called a "link local" address negotiated via IPv6CP. If the /64 wasn't there our ERX wouldn't negotiate this. I'm working on something that would send an ICMP router solicitation to the ERX and take whatever prefix it sends back and configure that on the internal interface so that the customer wouldn't even have to configure anything for IPv6 to work.
Since ICMPv6 RS's only work with certain implementations for prefix delegation you'll also have to look into implementing DHCP-PD as a secondary mechanism for everything else.

Rand2k1

Canada
reply to 34764170

said by 34764170:

said by Rand2k1:

some reason? that is exactly what should be happening.
I meant it's amusing for some reason, not that its different for some reason.

I know its supposed to be unique for every device, I just find it oddly amusing.

and yes, my "stuff" is up to date...
This is good . And refering to it as stuff was quicker than suggesting you make sure browsers, the OS etc. is up to date.

Have you tried that site on other browsers? or are you just using Safari?

I'd be curious to see if its a bug with Safari or webkit.

lcdguy

join:2008-01-17
reply to 86677931
i would like to take part but i need some questions answered.

1. will using aipv6 internet address break my voip
2. do i have to use ipv6 on my home network or can i just use ipv6 for the wan and use ipv4 private addressing for my internal network.

daboom
Premium
Oshawa, ON
said by lcdguy:

i would like to take part but i need some questions answered.

1. will using aipv6 internet address break my voip

No you are assigned a ipv4 address as well. This is a Dual Stack ipv4/ipv6 login you will be getting.

2. do i have to use ipv6 on my home network or can i just use ipv6 for the wan and use ipv4 private addressing for my internal network.

This depends mostly on what devices/systems you have that are ipv6 ready. If your using the ipv6 enabled tomato version once setup it will assign each computer thats ipv6 enabled a Internet accessible ipv6 address. (make sure your systems are firewalled properly).

MaverickHL

reply to 86677931
Has anyone tried using Windows 7 remote desktop yet with the latest tomato 1.27 ipv6? I just tried accessing it from work and can't connect to my home machine. I will look into it tonight, but if someone has figured it out already it would be good to know.

vitesse

reply to 86677931
Yes remote desktop work with Windows 7 and latest 1.27 build, I use it.

MaverickHL

said by vitesse:

Yes remote desktop work with Windows 7 and latest 1.27 build, I use it.
Are you typing in the IPv6 address in remote desktop for the machine you are connecting or just your regular IPv4 addy?

vitesse

reply to 86677931
Only in ipv4