spc
Search similar:

uniqs
j1ggy3
join:2007-07-30

4 edits

j1ggy3

Turn your Gigaset SE567 modem into a wireless switch

Follow these directions to turn your Gigaset (Siemens SE567) modem/wifi router combo into a wireless switch (bridge mode) that will work with any ISP/Ethernet uplink:

1. First of all, reset your SE567 to its factory settings. Hold the button on the bottom in until the power light starts alternating green and red.
2. After the SE567 reboots, connect to port 1 with your computer.
3. Go to »192.168.1.254/ and log in (on the top right) using ID: admin, PW: telus
4. Go through the Setup Wizard (or manually, your choice) and configure your security and any other settings the way you want them. When you are done you will be asked to reboot.
5. Go to the above URL and log in once again.
6. Go to the following URL to turn on bridge mode: »192.168.1.254/brgmode.htm This URL is not anywhere in the settings, you will have to go there manually. You will be asked to reboot the SE567 once again.
7. After rebooting, unplug your computer from port 1 and plug your WAN connection into port 4. You should now be able to access the SE567 with your laptop and the security settings you applied to it.

Note, when in bridge mode, the SE567 will not function as the router it once did. It functions as a wireless switch and is not capable of assigning IP addresses and will only pass an IP to your computer from the WAN device it is connected to. The LAN ports on the back will not function, and you are unable to access the SE567's settings unless you reset it again. If you require multiple wireless connections, you can either have your ISP assign multiple IP addresses or you can plug the SE567 into an old wired router, which will also assign more than one IP address over the switch.

The Gigaset SE567 I used for this had the following firmware version on it: Firmware version: 004-E652-A3D-115-36-13 Configuration version: 003-6184-G12 ADSL driver version: a7.00.02.00
j1ggy3

1 edit

j1ggy3

Re: [ALL] Turn your Siemens SE567 ADSL modem/wifi router into a

...and I posted that using the SE567 as an WAP, which is hooked up to my Linksys wired 100mbit router/Shaw modem while also using Slingplayer on my iPhone.

zalternate
join:2007-02-22
freedom land

4 edits

zalternate to j1ggy3

to j1ggy3
Interesting.
I don't have a Gigaset, but can't you get back into the gigaset if you set a static IP on the computer(192.168.1.98) and the gateway being 192.168.1.254 and plug back into the Gigaset?

Edit: I see you said the Lan ports won't work. But Lan port 4 will work?
j1ggy3

2 edits

j1ggy3

That I haven't been able to do but I'll give it another try. I don't think it's capable of that when it's functioning as a switch, it may not be able to assign itself an IP.

Port 4 on my model is labelled with "WAN" underneath the 4 (some are not labelled with this but as long as the hardware/firmware is the same/similar it should work), it normally functions as LAN port 4 when you're using the unit as a DSL modem. When it's set up in bridge mode, port 4 turns into an uplink port, making the phone jack and ports 1-3 unusable. As the unit is incapable of assigning IPs, when I hook my Shaw modem to port 4 on the Gigaset, the wireless IP address I get on my laptop is actually the Shaw IP address.

Patman023
Ex-TELUS employee, Ubuntu Lover
join:2009-03-01
Edmonton, AB

Patman023 to zalternate

to zalternate
AFAIK, (although thats not much as my se567 is in a closet on the top shelf still boxed), could setting up a static route not work? or does that setting get disabled? thats kinda how one accesses the speedtouch GUI...
j1ggy3

3 edits

j1ggy3

I still haven't been able to access the settings without resetting, which makes sense I guess. Reconfiguring the Gigaset only takes a couple of minutes anyways. But ports 1-3 do work contrary to what I posted above (port 4 is the WAN uplink), as long as a device before the switch is supplying more than one IP address, such as a wired router or multiple IPs from your ISP.

Another person I have talked to has had the same success I have, and I've been able to bridge two Gigasets now.

couttsj
@telus.net

couttsj

Anon

said by j1ggy3:

I still haven't been able to access the settings without resetting, which makes sense I guess. Reconfiguring the Gigaset only takes a couple of minutes anyways. But ports 1-3 do work contrary to what I posted above (port 4 is the WAN uplink), as long as a device before the switch is supplying more than one IP address, such as a wired router or multiple IPs from your ISP.

Another person I have talked to has had the same success I have, and I've been able to bridge two Gigasets now.
As a router, the performance of the Telus version of the SE567 was terrible and I eventually had to send it back. However, I recently came into possession of another one, and I thought I would try it as a modem only with the help of your suggestion. As a modem only in bridge mode, I get better throughput than with my Thomson Speedtouch. The jury is still out on it's reliability however, as I had to reset once in the first week because it was dropping packets.

The switch port #4 defaults to a normal port when used as a modem/router, but it cannot be used to forward to another hub/switch, nor is it usable in bridge mode.
j1ggy3

j1ggy3

When you say "as a modem" are you using DSL service through the Gigaset or just an Ethernet uplink through port 4?

couttsj
@telus.net

couttsj

Anon

said by j1ggy3:

When you say "as a modem" are you using DSL service through the Gigaset or just an Ethernet uplink through port 4?
Just a plain old modem. Bridge mode simply passes all incoming packets from the DSL port through to the switch. In this mode I cannot use port #4 as a switch port, but the other 3 ports are all active. Theoretically I should be able to plug in 2 separate routers and utilize the 2 IP addresses I am allowed, but I haven't tried that.

Without converting to bridge mode, port #4 supposedly can be used to plug in the output of an ADSL modem, hence the WAN designation. For all I know, it may function that way in bridge mode as well.
kiloback
join:2010-03-15

kiloback to j1ggy3

to j1ggy3

Re: Turn your Gigaset SE567 modem into a wireless switch

Hi guys i'm new here forgive me for my grammar ,but i have the same device and i just want to use it as a wireless router and telus is aint my ISP. actually im using right now works fine for now but everytime i turn it off and use it tomorrow i have to it restore to the default setting or sometimes have to plug my modem first to my pc when a connection is established im gonna plug it back to the se567 and then restore it,any way to make it permanent the reason why i want to be a wap is for my psp and wii.

I read the thread above would like to try it but my pc have no wireless adapter and i have no other router.already read some post here but im not that technical to relate.any links for tutorial will be greatly appreciated

couttsj
@telus.net

couttsj

Anon

said by kiloback:

Hi guys i'm new here forgive me for my grammar ,but i have the same device and i just want to use it as a wireless router and telus is aint my ISP. actually im using right now works fine for now but everytime i turn it off and use it tomorrow i have to it restore to the default setting or sometimes have to plug my modem first to my pc when a connection is established im gonna plug it back to the se567 and then restore it,any way to make it permanent the reason why i want to be a wap is for my psp and wii.

I read the thread above would like to try it but my pc have no wireless adapter and i have no other router.already read some post here but im not that technical to relate.any links for tutorial will be greatly appreciated
Let me see if I have this straight. You do not have Telus ADSL, but you have a Siemens SE567 which you want to use as a wired NAT router. Is it a Telus branded SE567? Either way, you should be able to plug your modem into port #4.

The one caveat to this is that your service may have registered the MAC address of your computer, so that may be why you can connect with your computer first, and then plug in the router. To get around this, you should be able program your SE567 to use the MAC address of your computer.
kiloback

kiloback

yup its the telus branded one .

ok ill try it,but the down fall is that i always need my computer on for it to work? am i right .
anyways gonna try it now.
thank you it enlightens me,BRB
kiloback

kiloback to couttsj

to couttsj
thanks it worked,but is it possible to use the device mac address?my main concern is that i want to use my wifi with just the modem and router.because i intend to save electricity

couttsj
@telus.net

couttsj

Anon

said by kiloback:

thanks it worked,but is it possible to use the device mac address?my main concern is that i want to use my wifi with just the modem and router.because i intend to save electricity
I really don't understand the question. The router (not in bridge mode) is the device that is making the initial contact with the DHCP server on your suppliers network. When you first connected your computer to that network, it registered the MAC address of your computer. By changing the MAC address of the router to match your computer, the DHCP server thinks that it is connecting the same original ethernet device. The router has 2 ethernet interfaces. One sits on your your own Local Area Network (LAN), and the other sits on the Wide Area Network (WAN). The router simply acts as a gateway between the 2 networks. It is best to leave it always powered up and connected to the WAN, but anything on the LAN can be shut down at will.
kiloback

kiloback

what i meant was that if i can use the mac address of the router to connect to the net instead of my computers mac address,but after what you said i guess its impossible so meaning i need my computer to be on since the router just relay the info to dhcp server or the router still can use my computers mac address even if the computer is off,but unfortunately it did it again i left the router to use my computers mac address.

again my only goal is to use the telus se567 as a plain wireless router even though telus is not my ISP

i dont know if this helps ive checked the system log of the router and its in Bridge-Router mode

Patman023
Edmonton, AB

Patman023

To use it as a router, plug your modem's Cat-5 into WAN/4 on the Siemens.

If you cannot get an IP address, then you must clone your PC's MAC, as was stated by couttsj.

If your ISP uses PPPoE, fuhgeddaboudit.

couttsj
@telus.net

couttsj to kiloback

Anon

to kiloback
said by kiloback:

what i meant was that if i can use the mac address of the router to connect to the net instead of my computers mac address,but after what you said i guess its impossible so meaning i need my computer to be on since the router just relay the info to dhcp server or the router still can use my computers mac address even if the computer is off,but unfortunately it did it again i left the router to use my computers mac address.

again my only goal is to use the telus se567 as a plain wireless router even though telus is not my ISP

i dont know if this helps ive checked the system log of the router and its in Bridge-Router mode
There are 3 types of operation:
1. Bridge mode - the router acts as a "bridge", and passes all packets on one interface (WAN) to the other interface (LAN). It does not have an IP address on either interface, and consequently you cannot communicate with it using TCP/IP.
2. Router mode - the router acts like a true router examining IP packets and routing them accordingly. It has 2 IP addresses; a public IP address on the WAN interface (eg 24.65.44.106), and a private address on the LAN interface (eg. 192.168.1.254). It can be communicated with on either interface using TCP/IP.
3. Bridge Router mode - the router routes all IP packets as normal, but also bridges non IP packets from one interface to the other.

In router mode, the router will communicate with the DHCP server on the WAN interface using broadcast packets, establish the connection, and receive the public IP/Netmask/Gateway/DNS addresses. The DHCP server keeps track of the assigned IP address using the MAC address of the connecting interface. It has nothing to do with the computer on the LAN interface being on or off. That is an entirely separate operation. The router acts as a DHCP client on the WAN interface, but it may also act as a DHCP server on the LAN interface to which the computer is connected. When your computer connects to the LAN interface using DHCP, it will receive a private IP address from the router.

I trust this answers your question.
kiloback

1 edit

kiloback to Patman023

to Patman023
@couttsj
thanks for the info so the telus se567 by defaullt is in bridge-router mode ,i guess it doesnt matter if the device is in router or bridge-router mode it can still function as a router.

@glynn
yeah already did all that,pppoe you say hmmm....
----
watta bummer to always restore it to default, and set it up again even it was just 2 hours after i used it,i guess this will do until i get a hand to a decent one,
last question:
Do you guys know anyone used the telus se567 on shaw?
-if Yes-
it could be my ISP or my dumb config

thanks glynn and couttsj kudos to you guys for helping a newbie like me

albertan
@telus.net

albertan to j1ggy3

Anon

to j1ggy3
k did what the OP said

but one question.... do i keep the phone wire in the gigaset.... or hook the phone wire up to my other router(2wire 2700hg-e).

also i put the ethernet cable in the gigaset (port 4 aka wan) into my other routers WAN port correct ?

i know OP is prob long gone but anyone else who's done this. Telus tech was no support they just directed me to Siemens and i haven't bothered calling them up. doing this for my ps3... since the gigaset's "dmz" doesn't work properly.

(also is using 2 routers really faster then 1 ? whats the point of bridging?)

Latper
@shawcable.net

Latper to j1ggy3

Anon

to j1ggy3
Hello,

Great instructions and easy to follow! It is possible to use this router as a wireless bridge? I have a second pc at home and I've already a wireless net working but this pc has not a wifi card. Instead of installing one I though I may use this router I'm not using anymore to bring the internet signal to this other PC. Is that possible with this specific router? if so, what would be the settings?

Thanks in advance!!!!
jjthegreat4
join:2004-06-17
Montreal, QC

jjthegreat4 to j1ggy3

to j1ggy3
Hey guys
I may have missed something, but can you not just disable the dhcp server on this modem and voila, you now have a 4port switch?
Ive done this with tons of other old devices in my place specifically for this reason.
If you need to manage the router, you just hardcode a static ip that is on the same network range to address the gateway...

anonni
@pldt.net

anonni

Anon

how to manually reset the telus se567 bridge mode to factory settings?since cant acess it thru the browset

Patman023
Edmonton, AB

Patman023

button underneath - hold it until the power light flashes 5 times.
tounary
join:2010-03-29

tounary

Dear Experts,
I want to use my Gigaset as a router. I need to have local internal IPs on my machines. 192.168.254.xxx and still be able to the connect to the internet.

I am trying to connect my Gigaset SE568 device directly to the internet on LAN/WAN 4 so i can use it as a router.
I reset it to default and deleted any existing VC, then i configured the Port 4 to be used for WAN, bridged connection, I have enable NAPT and rebooted, but the device is not getting a WAN IP and hence i am not able to connect to the internet. When i disable the NAPT the device gets a WAN IP but my laptop that is wirelessly or wirely connected to the modem does not connect to the internet.
I need to be able to use this device as a router, to get internal IPs 192.168.254.xxx on my machines and still be able to connect to the internet.
Can you please help me on that?

Thanks and Regards.

couttsj
@telus.net

couttsj

Anon

said by tounary:

Dear Experts,
I want to use my Gigaset as a router. I need to have local internal IPs on my machines. 192.168.254.xxx and still be able to the connect to the internet.
The default setting is as a router. Just reset the SE567 as described above. In the default configuration using ADSL as the WAN connection, port #4 acts as just another switch connection (although you cannot use that port to bridge to another switch/hub). However, if you remove the ADSL connection, you can plug a different ADSL modem into the #4 port, so that it acts as a router/WLAN/switch. By the way, the default address of the SE567 is 192.168.1.254 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0. 192.168.1.0 defines the network and the broadcast address is 192.168.1.255. Addresses of 192.168.1.64 and above are assigned by DHCP, and addresses below that can be assigned manually.
joesmith
join:2009-06-03
Oakville, ON

1 edit

joesmith to tounary

to tounary
deleted
joesmith

2 edits

joesmith

Sorry about my last post, I can't delete it. Here is my situation:

I have an SE568 that I would like to use as a wireless router. I would like it to connect to the internet through another DSL modem.

1. I reset the SE568 to factory defaults.
2. I set up wireless access - no problems here.
3. My laptop can connect to the SE468 thru wireless - great.
4. All that's left, is for the SE568 to connect to my ISP thru my DSL modem (which is connected to port 4). I want to give it my PPPoE username and password and have it connect thru the DSL modem.

I wish I could use the DSL modem included in the SE568, but I am in a different country right now and I do not know the correct VCI VPI PPPoA ...etc settings for the ISP in that country -- that's why I have to use the existing DSL modem that I know works.

In other words, I just want to use my SE568 as a normal wireless router and pppoe client for the WAN port.

So how do I tell the SE568 to use PPPoE via port 4 not the DSL port??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I already scoured the Internet with no luck.

joesmith11
@cgocable.net

joesmith11 to joesmith

Anon

to joesmith
Sorry about my last post, I can't edit or delete it. Here is my situation:

I have an SE568 that I would like to use as a wireless router. I would like it to connect to the internet through another DSL modem.

1. I reset the SE568 to factory defaults.
2. I set up wireless access - no problems here.
3. My laptop can connect to the SE468 thru wireless - great.
4. All that's left, is for the SE568 to connect to my ISP thru my DSL modem (which is connected to port 4). I want to give it my PPPoE username and password and have it connect thru the DSL modem.

I wish I could use the DSL modem included in the SE568, but I am in a different country right now and I do not know the correct VCI VPI PPPoA ...etc settings for the ISP in that country -- that's why I have to use the existing DSL modem that I know works.

In other words, I just want to use my SE568 as a normal wireless router and pppoe client for the WAN port.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I already scoured the Internet with no luck.

couttsj
@telus.net

couttsj

Anon

said by joesmith11 :

The SE568 is virtually identical to the SE567, except that it has a USB port. Assuming that you do not have a crippled version from another ISP, you should be able to use the Gateway Setup Wizard. The manual for the 2 models is identical. Unfortunately I don't remember where I found it, but you should be able to search this forum for the location.

jmsnln
@shawcable.net

jmsnln to j1ggy3

Anon

to j1ggy3
I'm trying to get my old SE567 to act solely as a wireless router with my shaw modem plugged into port 4. Any one had any luck with it?

I thought it would be simple...