dslreports logo
site
 
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer




how-to block ads


Search Topic:
uniqs
3164
share rss forum feed


LIOUTOFNY

@verizon.net

shock when touching coax

I get a shock when my hand touching the ppc connector and the bottom of the box (4200 with the other). I get shock on the hand that is touching the coax. Just a tingle. Any One know what that is?

cowbawx

join:2002-03-04
Lawrence, NY
kudos:1
im guessing the coax is not properly grounded on the outside of the house or where the wire intially comes in..


Agent Smith

join:2008-07-07
New York

2 edits
reply to LIOUTOFNY
Cause coax transmit electrical signals to your box that's how the channels show they flow threw the metal coax it happens to me to just a lil shock here and there not enough to give you a heart attack.

justin03

join:2002-09-06
Massapequa, NY

1 edit
reply to LIOUTOFNY
sometimes this is a issue with electric ground/neutral . usually if cables service is grounded and there is a problem with electricity ground the electricity will ground through the cable. the problem usualy occurs outside where lipa wire ground attaches to line on street or near meter. if you take off or reattach main cable IN connection at splitter/ground block and it sparks this is usually the case. its also possible cablebox is not grounded properly inside case or damaged . if your worried about it call cable and they can check amperage on cable line. its not supposed to be more then one amp.

kjharris

join:2009-11-25
Huntington Station, NY
reply to LIOUTOFNY
In addition to the previous replies, it could be a defective ground prong in the cable box's plug, or in the wall outlet itself, or the surge protector if you use one. In any case you shouldn't be getting any current leakage such as you describe. Call Cablevision and have them find the problem.

xocsucram

join:2008-10-02
are you on a rug in your socks/barefeet?

its called static electricity


Anon00000000

@optonline.net
reply to LIOUTOFNY
it is coming from the TV coax into the box, Cablevison could not find it but i did. But they said it is only 1 amp

nstg8r

join:2005-04-27
Croton On Hudson, NY
reply to xocsucram
That'll happen in the winter. Or maybe my doorknob isn't grounded properly either.


Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to LIOUTOFNY
I get a shock from mine and it was during the summer.. it's because it's not grounded.

AnalogRival

join:2003-01-19
Denville, NJ
reply to LIOUTOFNY
I had that many years ago at my home. Turned out my grandmothers TV was the culprit, once it was removed, the charge disappeared.

jimboe

join:2000-08-14
New York
reply to xocsucram
said by xocsucram:

are you on a rug in your socks/barefeet?

its called static electricity
I 2nd and 3rd this.
rugs, wearing slippers == massive static everywhere. I've yet to find a decent solution

I'm constantly discharging by grabbing a lamp chain or the like b4 touch any keyboards.


cvtek

@optonline.net
reply to Anon00000000
said by Anon00000000 :

it is coming from the TV coax into the box, Cablevison could not find it but i did. But they said it is only 1 amp
1 amp can kill you. maybe they said .1 amp?


cvtek

@optonline.net
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

I get a shock from mine and it was during the summer.. it's because it's not grounded.
If you get a shock when the cable is not grounded something else is wrong. Grounding it may prevent you from feeling the voltage on the cable but there is still something wrong.

Many times it's a TV that is backfeeding some voltage. It could be an electric outlet wired backwards.


LIOUTOFNY

@optonline.net
reply to LIOUTOFNY
.1 to about .3 amp