This is a sub-selection from Excellent news
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Gaff

to Gaff

Re: Excellent news

said by Gaff:

I'm not a fan of caps by any means but at least Comcast has theirs at 250GB a month. I've not even come close to that in a heavy usage month.
Well when it first came out 250 seemed reasonable and is for the vast majority. However....

A) Nearly 18 months later and the cap is the same. I think most people that accepted caps assumed they'd eventually go up. So far no dice

B) With Docsis 3.0 the need for caps especially one as low as 250 GB a month isn't necessary. 250 GB is equivalent to 800 kbps. A Docsis 3.0 system can't handle more than 800 kbps per customer?

The Limit
Premium Member
join:2007-09-25
Denver, CO

The Limit

Premium Member

Something tells me that this meter that Comcast has been working on for so long will throw a curve ball in the situation.

I predict Comcast to slowly move people to usage based tiers. Think about it, why work on the meter so hard when only %1 of the customer base is supposely taxing Comcast's network? Wasn't that the argument about imposing caps?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

1 edit

davidhoffman to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
Lets say you want 100 liters of juice transferred from London, England to New York City. In 1960 I could ship it by propeller driven DC-6 and get it to you in say 12 hours. That was the DOCSIS 2.0 speed. In 1970 I could ship that same 100 liters of juice by turbofan 707-320 in say 6 hours. That was the DOCSIS 3.0 speed. I did not agree to give you more juice (GB of data) for the same price, just to get the amount you bought to you faster. Comcast is giving you the same amount of data transfer (250GB of juice) but at a faster rate. Comcast is setting up their network at this time to handle faster shipments of the same amount of data. When they are all done with all of the upgrades related to the DOCSIS 3.0 upgrade, I bet they will increase the cap for the same inflation adjusted price, because then all their customers can use the same Terms of Service, because all their customers will be DOCSIS 3.0. You will get more juice for the same inflation adjusted price. And you will get it at a faster rate than before. To the marketing and legal guys this would be the way to go. Big splashy ad campaign about the increase in the data rate and the cap with a single legal change to the TOS.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned)

said by davidhoffman:

Lets say you want 100 liters of juice transferred from London, England to New York City. In 1960 I could ship it by propeller driven DC-6 and get it to you in say 12 hours. That was the DOCSIS 2.0 speed. In 1970 I could ship that same 100 liters of juice by turbofan 707-320 in say 6 hours. That was the DOCSIS 3.0 speed. I did not agree to give you more juice (GB of data) for the same price, just to get the amount you bought to you faster. Comcast is giving you the same amount of data transfer (250GB of juice) but at a faster rate.
Actually Comast used to give customers an UNLIMITED amount of juice until 18 months ago.
« soft cap vs hard caps
This is a sub-selection from Excellent news