Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to gsm

Re: comcast bandwith usage

said by gsm:

So I am wondering what happens if I go over 250GB. Not that its a problem for me the most I can use is 80gb in a month and that's pushing it. But its unclear to me what happens if you go over anyone know what will happen if anything?
»customer.comcast.com/Pages/HelpN···E4685061
--
JL
Comcast

steppedup

@comcast.net

1 edit
reply to gsm

Got the call, 800GB

I'm in Washington state, the only state with the built-in bandwidth meter as of right now.

I didn't know about it, until I received an ominous phone call from a "Policy Analyst" at Comcast CSI. Their words...not mine.

Anyway, turns out I hit 800 GB last month. I told them that I had inadvertantly left my guest wifi wide-open and someone was probably downloading movies.

Heh, heh - I said, "Watch me turn it off." - and then I turned my own PC's NIC off .

They let me go with a warning - and walked me through how to find the bandwidth meter.

I knew I was downloading a lot, but had no idea it was quite that much.....whoops!

uTorrent has bandwidth caps - I run two separate clients, so put their limit at 100 GB each. Figuring that no way will I hit 50 GB for my other usage.

So, moral of the story - have a good story and then sin in good faith.

I personally think bandwidth caps are stupid- here's why:

»www.zatznotfunny.com/2009-05/her···th-caps/

»netmaniac.com/2008/08/the-dirty-···th-caps/

Strykur

join:2009-08-11
San Francisco, CA

1 edit
reply to gsm

Re: What happens if I go over 250GB bandwidth use?

The lowest I have heard someone getting the call at is I think ~490GB. Comcast will not bother you unless your usage is extreme and is on a busy node.

The most recent postings I have seen regarding Comcast notifications for usage violations have been for very high amounts (600-800GB). You will not get a call if you go over 250GB, and are not downloading with egregious excess. The only thing that has stayed constant with time is that the cap is very soft.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

said by Strykur:

The most recent postings I have seen regarding Comcast notifications for usage violations have been for very high amounts (600-800GB).
These are the reports I have noticed since June 2009:

Reported warnings/disconnects for exceeding cap

»Warned for exceeding the cap, used 715G last month
»Got the call. We used 610GB on a 50mbit/10mbit d3 connection
»Account cut off at 250G? Correction: 715G
»I got a warning from Comcast
»So, has anyone gone over the cap?
»Anyone got letter from Comcast ...
»I got the call ... 680G last month
»Got the call, 850G this month
»50/10 - Just got banned.
»When do I get the call or will I?
»Comcast banned me today 2nd warning 680 GB
»Got the letter for exceeding 250GB/month
»I got the call ... 750GB
»Got the call, 750gb last month
»Service cancelled
»After shut off, allowed to get business class with no hassles
»Got the call, 800GB
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

neil0311

join:2005-07-24
Marietta, GA

2 recommendations

reply to C_Chipperson

Re: comcast bandwith usage

said by C_Chipperson:

There are several tools you can use to track your usage, including 3rd party firmware on some routers and software such as "Netmeter"
Sorry but every time someone suggests this, it's just as ridiculous as the last time. What about devices such as mobile phones with WiFi, Zunes, iPods, and XBOX Live? There is no meter to meter those devices, and my router is an N router which cannot take advatage of some hack open source firmware, assuming I was inclined to void my warranty and use something like that on a device like a firewall.

No, if Comcast wants its customers to adhere to a limit, then they are responsible for giving us access to the same usage data they see, just as a cell phone provider does when they charge per minute. Could you imagine a cell phone provider telling its customers that they should put some 3rd party software on their phones to keep track of how many minutes they use. It would be treated as absurd, but yet we accept it from Comcast.

I love my Comcast HSI, and I don't come close to 250GB/mo, but let's get real here. You can't hold people to a cap when you give them no visibility into how much they actually use.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

I agree with you Neil.

I think the 250GB cap legally should not be able to hold weight, until an official Comcast bandwidth meter is available. We know it's coming, but in my instance when I log onto Customer Central, there is NO bandwidth monitor available.

I did use a Linksys WRT-54g with DD-WRT firmware, and that had a bandwidth monitor. Well the 54g is quite a few years old, and it's underspec'd CPU can't keep up with 50/10 internet service. So that's unplugged for now. In the mean time I have gone through 3 routers trying to find a good one, and none of them have a bandwidth meter. Right now I'm on my second Linksys WRT-320N, and I could put DD-WRT on it, but it's already unstable after transferring lots of data over wifi, the wireless radio shuts down. What can I say, the 320N is less than $100... you get what you pay for. I'm thinking of maybe trying a Netgear WNDR-3700, which is quite a bit more expensive, but again you have to pay to play. It supposedly features bandwidth logging (text chart only - not pretty graphs like DD-WRT).

So without a way to measure your usage, how are you supposed to be responsible for it? What if we took the gas gauge out of our cars. Ok we could "estimate" how much gas we have left by keeping track of mileage, but it's not accurate. I wouldn't buy a car without a gas gauge for sure.

I wonder if anyone's been cutoff and successfully sued Comcast for not having a bandwidth meter in place? Hopefully for Comcast's sake, they hurry up and get this meter rolled out to cover their ass.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to neil0311

Unless you pushing an obnoxious amount of traffic 24/7 I wouldn't really worry about it. I have never seen anyone kicked off the network or otherwise "punished" for going over the limit.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to cypherstream

said by cypherstream:

I agree with you Neil.

I wonder if anyone's been cutoff and successfully sued Comcast for not having a bandwidth meter in place? Hopefully for Comcast's sake, they hurry up and get this meter rolled out to cover their ass.
This is interesting, but I dont think it will be viable. Generally, the people that are getting booted are A. pirating or B. running a server from the home (against Comcast TOS). To find someone that is legally pushing more than 250 gigs AND gets booted, AND lives in an area where the meter isnt in place, they probably could sue to get services back; or at least make enough local noise where Comcast will just suck it up and reinstate their services.

The general statement with Comcast (and any other company ever really) is that "we reserve the right to change anything we want whenever we want", so I dont think a court case could hold any water.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1
reply to cypherstream

Click for full size
said by cypherstream:

I did use a Linksys WRT-54g with DD-WRT firmware... I'm thinking of maybe trying a Netgear WNDR-3700, which is quite a bit more expensive, but again you have to pay to play. It supposedly features bandwidth logging (text chart only - not pretty graphs like DD-WRT)...
Me too Cypher. I just dropped the $160 and picked up a Netgear this weekend. So far it's sweet.
--
[Insert Comcast employee disclaimer here.]

jus10

join:2009-08-04
Sterling, VA

Yeah, I have one of those WNDR3700's as well. Decent for a dual-band access point but that's all I've relegated mine too. The web interface is just horrible and I don't think its traffic meter is accurate. But it runs X-WRT so there is hope of it one day using DD-WRT or some other alternative firmware.

I ended up buying another router to route and let the Netgear just carry on as a AP (of which it is great).

TheBigCheese

join:2002-08-05
Philadelphia, PA
reply to beachintech

said by beachintech:

Unless you pushing an obnoxious amount of traffic 24/7 I wouldn't really worry about it. I have never seen anyone kicked off the network or otherwise "punished" for going over the limit.
It's happened. I know someone who watches several HD movies/TV shows every day (mostly from Netflix) and was told by Comcast she exceeded 400GB. A couple of months later, she was booted. Fortunately, she was able to get FIOS form Verizon.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

She would need to watch 400GB/1.5GB = 266 hours of HD streaming from Netflix in a month. That works out to just under 9 hours EVERY DAY for 30 days. 9 Hours - thats what, 4 movies? 5? Every day. 120 Watch It Now movies. Wow.

Yeah, you could do it. But somehow I doubt you really would.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

ajax25

join:2003-12-10
Colonia, NJ

2 edits
reply to jlivingood

said by jlivingood:

said by gsm:

So I am wondering what happens if I go over 250GB. Not that its a problem for me the most I can use is 80gb in a month and that's pushing it. But its unclear to me what happens if you go over anyone know what will happen if anything?
»customer.comcast.com/Pages/HelpN···E4685061
I almost spit my coffee all over my screen when I read this (below) from the Comcrap web site. At least someone
there has a sense of humor:

It's no secret we've been evaluating a specific monthly data usage or bandwidth threshold for our Comcast High-Speed Internet residential customers for some time. Rumors circulated online last year and they popped up again in May.

beachintech
Premium
reply to TheBigCheese

I seriously doubt that was all that was going on.

But, everyone always "knows someone" that had something bad that evil comcast affected
--
Tech at the Beach.

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
join:2009-09-07
Great White
reply to ajax25

said by ajax25:

I almost spit my coffee all over my screen when I read this (below) from the Comcrap web site.
Too bad you didn't.. then you could of joined my Class action lawsuit.. right beach?

beachintech
Premium

said by Tordek:

said by ajax25:

I almost spit my coffee all over my screen when I read this (below) from the Comcrap web site.
Too bad you didn't.. then you could of joined my Class action lawsuit.. right beach?
No comment on that subject. :O
--
Tech at the Beach.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to JohnInSJ

If you replace Netflix with Illegal 1080p movie rips, the math might start making sense

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to gsm

OK, so you'd have to go way over in a given month to get warned. But what about if you go over for consecutive months. I've done at least 300 GB over the last 5 months and plan to do 500 GB this month. If I do say 300GB a month, every month will they not care because its only slightly over? 95% of my bandwidth is Bit Torrent seeding. Maybe since most of my usage is uploading they don't care?

What do I have to do to get in trouble? I share music, movies, and TV episodes on WinMX and Bit Torrent and while other people get DMCA notices or whatever, nothing happens to me. I go over Comcast's cap for 6 months in a row(and counting) and nothing happens to me. I know, be careful what you wish for.

beachintech
Premium

1 edit

May not be such a great idea to post all that, but to each his own. As stated in the Comcast AUP linked earlier, you have to be over the limit AND in the top 1% of users on your node/system.

When people ask me I always just say, don't be stupid about it and everything will be fine. If you DO ever get a phone call, change your habits and make some effort to show you care and are listening, otherwise your service may be shut off for a year.
--
Tech at the Beach.

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by beachintech:

May not be such a great idea to post all that, but to each his own.
There aren't actually Comcast employees or someone outsourced by them to troll this forum looking for violators making confessions are there? They can't track me unless they get my IP from the admin anyway right?

beachintech
Premium

said by heat84:

said by beachintech:

There aren't actually Comcast employees or someone outsourced by them to troll this forum looking for violators making confessions are there? They can't track me unless they get my IP from the admin anyway right?
You never know who is watching on the internet. I have no idea. The Internet isn't as anonymous as it once was.
--
Tech at the Beach.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

said by beachintech:

said by heat84:

said by beachintech:

You never know who is watching on the internet. I have no idea. The Internet isn't as anonymous as it once was.
BRU HA HA HA HA!!! I AM LOOKING IN YOUR WINDOW RIGHT NOW!

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 edit

said by baineschile:

BRU HA HA HA HA!!! I AM LOOKING IN YOUR WINDOW RIGHT NOW!
Good luck with that. I'm not home so my room is completly dark.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
reply to gsm

I downloaded Ubuntu 9.10 desktop x64 ( I had 9.04 previously) and in ONE night I UPLOADED 78GB. I was like WOAH down boy... Had to throttle down that upload speed. Bit torrent will just run away with your connection if you have it.

Loose Wire
Here, Hold My Beer And Watch This
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Denver, CO
reply to steppedup

Re: Got the call, 800GB

said by steppedup :

I'm in Washington state, the only state with the built-in bandwidth meter as of right now.
I've got the bandwidth meter on my account in Denver.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to heat84

Every time you fire up the BitTorrent client, you're giving out your IP address.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9
reply to heat84

said by heat84:

Ever hear of an "opportunist" ??

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
reply to gsm

Should be an automatic referral to law enforcement since we all know what more than 250 GB means 95% of the time.

dubenezic

join:2004-05-06
Jersey City, NJ

Really? What does it mean?

FactChecker
Premium
join:2008-06-03
reply to ctggzg

said by ctggzg:

Should be an automatic referral to law enforcement since we all know what more than 250 GB means 95% of the time.
Well, I can see the 5% or more (adding to the made up statistic) of the users being pretty upset over that and it is not the best customer focused response.

FAIL