uniqs
share rss forum feed

tempnexus
Premium
join:1999-08-11
Boston, MA

What is Xfinity?

I have seen those adds on tv recently.

Does this means that my area has Xfinity? And better question WTF is Xfinity and how is it any different then what we have now?

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit

said by tempnexus:

I have seen those adds on tv recently.

Does this means that my area has Xfinity? And better question WTF is Xfinity and how is it any different then what we have now?
It is just a brand name that Comcast is going to use to try and differentiate their products(TV, internet, voice) in the marketplace. The products aren't really different - they will just have new names.

»Comcast Extends 'Xfinity' Brand Across Products
XFINITY represents the future of our company and it’s a promise to customers that we’ll keep innovating. When we launch XFINITY in a market, we’ll rebrand our products: XFINITY TV, XFINITY Voice and XFINITY Internet (our company, of course, remains Comcast). This transition is already well underway across the country. Next week, XFINITY will roll out in 11 markets including: Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C., Chicago, Portland, Seattle, Hartford, Augusta, Chattanooga, parts of the Bay Area and San Francisco, with more markets to come later this year.

tempnexus
Premium
Boston, MA
reply to tempnexus

Great!
Yet I am still waiting to see the ULTRA, MEGA, WTF, BBQSAUCE tiers hit my area.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to tempnexus

said by tempnexus:

And better question WTF is Xfinity and how is it any different then what we have now?
I believe it is Comcast's answer to Verizon's "FiOS", and AT&T's "Uverse". Nothing more.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
Expand your moderator at work

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tempnexus

Re: What is Xfinity?

Another name to extract a few more bucks out of its customers. A rebrand of Comcast.

Plus if you go to »www.Fancast.com you can enter your Comcast log-in credentials and see content online that you subscribe to via the Cable TV end.
--
Darn, its gettin that time to go to Wallymart to gits me picture taken agin.
Expand your moderator at work

Thade

join:2009-12-16
Orlando, FL
reply to NormanS

Re: What is Xfinity?

said by NormanS:

said by tempnexus:

And better question WTF is Xfinity and how is it any different then what we have now?
I believe it is Comcast's answer to Verizon's "FiOS", and AT&T's "Uverse". Nothing more.
It's not really their answer to either "FiOS" or "Uverse", but more of another name for their triple play package. It's not like it's going to be called "Comcast Xfinity"

Drizew

join:2004-09-17
Los Lunas, NM

2 edits

What is XFINITY?

XFINITY is the new brand for Comcast's technology platform, products, and services. Comcast remains the name of our company.

Recently, we made some significant changes to our network and product capabilities that have given us the ability to offer even more HD channels, more Video On Demand choices, faster Internet speeds and more video online, plus new cross-platform and mobile features.

As a result of these changes, we have rebranded our products using the following names: XFINITY TV, XFINITY Internet, and XFINITY Voice.

XFINITY is about offering our customers more choice, more control, more speed, and more HD than ever before. It's also our promise to customers that we will keep innovating to deliver the best possible experience.

Where does the name XFINITY come from?

XFINITY stands for infinite content choices (the "infinity") and cross-platform features (that's the "X"). The idea behind XFINITY stems from an initiative called "Project Infinity." We announced this initiative at the Consumer Electronics Show in January 2008 and introduced Project Infinity for the first time. Project Infinity is about offering our customers exponentially more content choices and that means we'll continually offer more Video On Demand, more HD, more channels, and more online video.

When we first announced Project Infinity in 2008, we had 10,000 Video On Demand choices. This year, we'll have 20,000 choices and that number will continue to increase significantly over time. At the same time, we began to roll out faster Internet speeds with DOCSIS 3.0 technology that delivers some of the fastest Internet speeds available. More recently, we added thousands of TV and movie choices for consumers to watch online at fancastxfinitytv.com and are adding 100+ HD channels and 5,000 HD choices On Demand. As these products evolved, and as new cross-platform features were being introduced, we wanted a new, more unified product name for these new products as we roll them out across the country. XFINITY is that name.

»customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQLi···b2826b14

FAQs are made for a reason. Use them.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Thade

And "FiOS", and "Uverse" are not similar packages? Comcast just wanted their own "slick" marketing name!

tempnexus
Premium
Boston, MA
reply to Drizew

SO when will I see and experience those changes?
I see the ads on my TV but I am still stuck in the 16mbit max download speeds (with Powerboost but no D3).

Drizew

Los Lunas, NM

No later then January 2011. My guess is July 12th.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9
reply to Drizew

Guess there is no doubt that you are an employee huh !!

Drizew

Los Lunas, NM

HAHA... I just had no expectations of being upgraded any time before 90% of the country was. I have set my complaint (WTF I WANT THIS ALREADY) date @ 1/12/2011. If I see it sooner I will be surprised.