share rss forum feed

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC
kudos:7

IPv6 beta

So in order to clarify a few things, I'm just going to create a new thread about this. Mods, can you please "pin" this thread.

First of all, the service is provided over native PPP, there is no tunneling involved or 6to4 like most other providers.

In order to enroll in this limited beta, you will need to ask in the TekSavvy Direct forum. Please make sure that you give us your current contact information so that we can find your account.

Once we accept you as a beta tester, we will be giving you a new PPP login (your old login will remain active) the login in question should end with @hsiservice.net.

If you are only connecting from Windows Vista and up as well as Linux, BSD or OS X you should only need a /64.

If you plan on using a router you will need a /64 AND a /56, a tech in the direct forum will assign these to you.

If you have a WRT54GL router, we happen to have worked on a new build based on the Tomato MLPPP fork. The commonly used Tomato MLPPP build does NOT support IPv6.

Once your router is flashed with this new firmware, go under "Basic -> Network" And enter the IPv6 address under the "Router IPv6 Address" field

For example, if we assigned you

2607:f2c0:blah:1::/64
2607:f2c0:blah:4200::/56

You will need to enter "2607:f2c0:blah:4200::1" in the Router IPv6 field
and select /56 as the Router IPv6 netmask. Hit Save. At that point every IPv6 capable host behind the router should pick up an IP.

You are also welcome to try any other system you like to connect via IPv6 but you need to understand that you will be on your own. You may be able to find help online about whichever client your are planning on using though.

Also, please understand that we won't be providing official support for this service.
--
TSI Gabe - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

daboom
Premium
join:2001-12-16
Oshawa, ON

Gabe is that a new release of the Build your working on? Since the other one you posted yesterday?

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium,VIP
Gatineau, QC

only difference with that one is that I modified the http daemon to listen on both v4 and v6.

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

I know this is off topic but you guys make me want to move to Canada.

Keep up the good work.

robinjames
Premium
join:2008-04-20
Ottawa, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

Windows 7 and 2008r2 both worked fine with no settings/changes needed. My Snow Leopard partition didn't work on its own but was an easy fix. I just had to go to System Preferences > Network > Advanced and manually enter in the router's ip address (it had automatically populated the field, but it was wrong). As soon as I did that it worked great.

join:2010-02-12

Robin you put in the /64 address into the windows 7 IPV6 field?

daboom
Premium
Oshawa, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

Just to let everyone know I have Openwrt Kamikaze Version 100% working for Teksavvy's ipv6 setup. This is definately for more advanced users or those willing to work both in the cli and Gui side.

Ipv6/radvd software ie ip6tables etc will have to be downloaded once online. and will require some cli conf in order to get everything working.
--
Come join us on EFNET irc.dks.ca #teksavvy for live chat
Java Chat back online @ »teksavvy.kicks-ass.net

jam_bongo

join:2002-07-17
Toronto, ON

1 edit

hmm, does that mean there's a slight chance WRT54G v6 and up users could get ipv6 ? (though I have a tomato capable router)

robinjames
Premium
join:2008-04-20
Ottawa, ON
reply to 86677931

said by 86677931:

Robin you put in the /64 address into the windows 7 IPV6 field?
nope, just let radvd on the router assign it automatically. I didn't have to enter a thing in windows 7.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
reply to TSI Gabe

What is the effect of using ipv6 in the present day?
e.g. what is improved. and what does it break?

lewism

join:2008-04-25
Brossard, QC

1 edit

You have so much new IPs with IPV6. Billions of IP for each person.

You don't need NAT anymore since each PC can have it's own public IP.

Devices like PS3, iPhone/iPod on Wifi, older routers don't support IPV6. Firmware updates don't exist yet.

shaw3
tna live

join:2009-03-18
Union Bay, BC
reply to TSI Gabe

Is it available in Western Canada?

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium,VIP
Gatineau, QC

not yet, soon though

fattykernel

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Gabe

Does the modem matter?
dd-wrt supports this ipv6 setup right?
do local machines need to be reconfigured or can they still use ipv4 locally?
do things requiring special ports work? (torrents, game servers, etc)

I would love to test this but I have essentially no knowledge of ipv6 besides the ip format and #ips available.

ajmas

join:2008-04-14
Canada

1 edit
reply to robinjames

robinjames: In automatic mode it should have worked, unless the router advertisements aren't working properly? Gabe, can you confirm whether there are any issues with router advertisements in this firmware?

On a separate note, does TekSavvy's IPv6 offering work with Apple Airport Extreme (IPv6 capable router).

JGROCKY
Premium
join:2005-05-19
Chatham, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

»IPv6 update.... More testers welcome!

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Gabe

Took a bit of configuring... and possibly some interference with Virtual Box but... I'm now running IPv6!

Note, I only have a /64 IP, not a /64 and a /56 because I forgot to mention in the direct forums that I intended to use it with a router.

I did of looking up for anyone that is curious... my /64 subnet i was assigned contains 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 hosts.

Now to see if I can grab an IPv6 address over the wireless!

brassy

join:2004-01-09
Brantford, ON

Can confirm it works with mpd5 under freebsd.

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium,VIP
Gatineau, QC

1 edit

Alright, thanks to Guspaz and Ricer, I re-built Tomato up to latest (1.27-mp3alpha7) and includes IPv6 functionality.

Hopefully they won't mind that I'm posting this now.

Changes include

1.27 merged in
SSH fixed
Missing spinner image fixed
Packet reassembly fixed

I also updated Busybox from 1.14 to 1.16, which includes a few very needed fixes to ping6 and traceroute6
--
TSI Gabe - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Salaman

join:2008-04-04
Pointe-Claire, QC

Thanks, just what I needed! Works perfectly here so far

Taylortbb
Premium
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

@Gabe
Any possibility of posting the build for ASUS routers?

@Everyone
What are people's experiences with Gabe's new build? Is it stable enough for day-to-day use?
--
Taylor Byrnes
www.taylorbyrnes.org

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to TSI Gabe

We haven't even tried flashing a router with alpha 7 yet (we just compiled and are waiting for time to test), and gabe pulled that code out of git and compiled his own, so consider it untested

BonkersInc
King of Lalaland

join:2008-09-05

1 edit

I just flashed it about 10 minutes ago and I'm up OK. (WRT54Gv2)

daboom
Premium
Oshawa, ON
reply to Taylortbb

Taylortbb he just released it a few hours ago but his earlier versions were working good. too early atm to tell ya how it will be for day to day.

Tack

join:2007-10-23
Waterloo, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

Everything is up and running and working nicely. I've subnetted the assigned /56 and am advertising the various prefixes on my internal network and all systems can at least hit ipv6.google.com.

I've said this in the direct forum and on another thread, but I'll repeat here: the only thing I miss is PTR records for my IPv6 addresses. Pleasepleaseplease offer delegation of our /56 prefixes.

Otherwise, thanks TSI for being awesome. It's exciting to finally get native IPv6.

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
reply to TSI Gabe

quote:
Is it available in Western Canada?

not yet, soon though
The new stuff out West allow for future IPv6 and possibly MLPPP too?

AOD
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Tack

said by Tack:

Everything is up and running and working nicely. I've subnetted the assigned /56 and am advertising the various prefixes on my internal network and all systems can at least hit ipv6.google.com.

I've said this in the direct forum and on another thread, but I'll repeat here: the only thing I miss is PTR records for my IPv6 addresses. Pleasepleaseplease offer delegation of our /56 prefixes.

Otherwise, thanks TSI for being awesome. It's exciting to finally get native IPv6.
once they make their dns servers have ipv6 then can do ip6 arpa requests imagine, those v6 apra's are huge lines xD

Tack

join:2007-10-23
Waterloo, ON

said by AOD:

once they make their dns servers have ipv6 then can do ip6 arpa requests imagine, those v6 apra's are huge lines xD
To be clear, I don't want TSI to add the PTR records for my IPs but delegate the /56 to my nameserver so I can manage the PTR records myself.

Rand2k1

join:2003-12-09
Canada

1 edit
reply to TSI Gabe

So, stupid question, I can't get this to work. You say:

For example, if we assigned you

2607:f2c0:blah:1::/64
2607:f2c0:blah:4200::/56

You will need to enter "2607:f2c0:blah:4200::1" in the Router IPv6 field
and select /56 as the Router IPv6 netmask. Hit Save. At that point every IPv6 capable host behind the router should pick up an IP.

My assigned blocks the "blah" is different as well as the next section.

So in my router for example I've assigned it as the /56 as "2607:f2c0:blah2:4200::1" is this correct?

I should not that my router is capable of pinging ipv6 addresses, but appears to not be passing working addresses to my PCs.

DJMASACRE

join:2008-05-27
Nepean, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

pretty bad ass ....

forget Bell and their stupid Olympic commercial bullshit.

Lets move on to making real beneficial technology work for any great way we can with any great ISP we can use it with in conjunction , what a great way to do business, this is pretty amazing.

Keep up the work brothers

Kindest Regards , .................................................................