Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jacobhuh

join:2012-10-15
Calgary, AB
reply to TSI Gabe

Re: IPv6 beta

Those using PFSense, currently the 2.1RC does support IPV6 for regular single connection DSL lines, but anything in MLPPP does not work. It has not been fully implemented and/or is broken, I don't think it has ever worked. My setup is 2 - 25M/2M VDSL Lines in MLPPP with PFSense 2.1RC.

Jacob

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit
reply to TSI Gabe

Gabe at least mentioned recently he is working on it... so who knows.

»Re: ipv6 out West

notfred

join:2012-09-15
reply to Ternerito

I asked Marc that given how long the beta has been and the response was "Good question." After the last CRTC decision they have been slammed with new subscribers and current customers upgrading as well as migrating Rogers to aggregated access.

Ternerito

join:2002-08-31
Delta, BC
reply to notfred

Does anyone know when ipv6 is coming out of beta, and extended to the whole TS customer base?

notfred

join:2012-09-15
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Ternerito

said by Ternerito:

Where does the extra latency come from, compared to ipv4?

The PPPoE sessions for the IPv6/IPv4 combined login terminate on a different set of equipment from the PPPoE sessions for the pure IPv4 sessions. This equipment or the lines to it is congested during peak periods. It's nothing to do with it being IPv6, just to do with it being in beta so they aren't throwing tons of resources at it. Once it comes out of beta and ends up on the main equipment it should be fine.

Ternerito

Delta, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to SimplePanda

Thanks for replying SimplePanda. Where does the extra latency come from, compared to ipv4? I'm taking a course, and the instructor was explaining that ipv6 as the best thing since sliced bread. He also mentioned that teksavvy is one provider who offers it, so I thought maybe time to try it. If it's not available in GVA, then that simplifies things a lot.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Ternerito

said by Ternerito:

Before I go and read all 33 pages of this thread.

Are there any drawbacks in switching to IPv6 for your home LAN (other than the obvious need for some re-configuration? Things like known services breaking (Netflix, VoIP come to mind).

I'm connecting on VDSL (PPPoE) in the GVA. I have a pfSense router - do I need to update from 2.0.3 firmware?

Is this actually still a beta?

Thanks,
Luca

- Yes it's still a beta.

- I don't think it works at all in Vancouver anyways (Ontario/Quebec only as far as I know).

- It's unusably latent during peak periods and it's generally faster to tunnel if you NEED IPv6 access for something.

Ternerito

Delta, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Gabe

Before I go and read all 33 pages of this thread.

Are there any drawbacks in switching to IPv6 for your home LAN (other than the obvious need for some re-configuration? Things like known services breaking (Netflix, VoIP come to mind).

I'm connecting on VDSL (PPPoE) in the GVA. I have a pfSense router - do I need to update from 2.0.3 firmware?

Is this actually still a beta?

Thanks,
Luca

tross

join:2010-06-11
kudos:1
reply to 34764170

That's interesting, thanks for that. So there's something to look forward to.

Etobicoke, ON

1 edit
reply to tross

said by tross:

Rogers's IPv6 website doesn't seem to have been updated recently and Google doesn't bring up anything of interest for the past year or so. Any idea how things are progressing on their end?

From the Rogers forum it would appear they are doing some forms of field trials in some areas with their business customers first. They are more than likely also doing internal testing with employees only as well; which I've heard of from some other MSOs as well. On the surface you're not hearing much but most of the North American MSOs are doing field trials/testing whether its consumer or business side first varies and/or internal employees. From the looks of it some of these MSOs will be making full on production roll outs within the next 6 months just as Comcast has and are very close to completing.

tross

join:2010-06-11
kudos:1
reply to 34764170

Rogers's IPv6 website doesn't seem to have been updated recently and Google doesn't bring up anything of interest for the past year or so. Any idea how things are progressing on their end?

Etobicoke, ON
reply to dmitry_tek

said by dmitry_tek:

Any news on when IPV6 is coming to cable? I know I can use one of those tunnels, but I would prefer to have native support instead.

Rogers will have to roll out v6 before the ATPIA providers can even consider doing so.

dmitry_tek

join:2010-01-14
reply to TSI Gabe

Any news on when IPV6 is coming to cable? I know I can use one of those tunnels, but I would prefer to have native support instead.

ipv6learner

@oicr.on.ca
reply to squircle

I have to come to accept that assigning 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses to a point-to-point link is accepted practice.
Actually for inter-router links, you can use a /127 per RFC 6164:

On inter-router point-to-point links, it is useful, for security and
other reasons, to use 127-bit IPv6 prefixes. Such a practice
parallels the use of 31-bit prefixes in IPv4. This document
specifies the motivation for, and usages of, 127-bit IPv6 prefix
lengths on inter-router point-to-point links.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to squircle

said by squircle:

You're absolutely right. I personally find it hard to get out of the address space conservation mindset (why use a /56 when we can use a /64) but I understand the point you're making. I have to come to accept that assigning 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses to a point-to-point link is accepted practice.

A lot of people are just used to the way they've done things with IPv4 and try to transfer those practices over to IPv6 but things don't work in the same manner. Things were designed to be more flexible. A lot of poor choices have been made for network design based simply on the fact we live in an IPv4 world and there was limited address space that would not have existed if the address space was not so limited.

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
reply to 34764170

You're absolutely right. I personally find it hard to get out of the address space conservation mindset (why use a /56 when we can use a /64) but I understand the point you're making. I have to come to accept that assigning 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses to a point-to-point link is accepted practice.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to squircle

said by squircle:

Well, functionally, you can use the /64 for your LAN; there's nothing preventing one from doing so. I haven't touched my /56 since I signed up.

True, but that's not really the intent and if the proper auto configuration mechanisms were in place on TSIs side you wouldn't be manually configuring everything. It would just be doing what its supposed to.

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
reply to 34764170

said by 34764170:

That's not the point. You know the /56 is for your LAN? The /64 is for your DSL link.

Well, functionally, you can use the /64 for your LAN; there's nothing preventing one from doing so. I haven't touched my /56 since I signed up.

Grokko

join:2013-04-11
Ottawa, ON

1 edit
reply to 34764170

That's not the point. You know the /56 is for your LAN? The /64 is for your DSL link.
Ah, I didn't know that. That /64 block looked like one giant DMZ to me. Thanks for the info. I created the /56 pool and assigned an address from that instead, and it all works.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Grokko

said by Grokko:

Yes, but they use stateless configuration, and use the prefix from the /64 block to create their own addresses. I use the firewall to protect their ports externally.

Grokko

Ottawa, ON

1 edit
reply to 34764170

said by 34764170:

said by Grokko:

In my case, I only used the /64 block so far. I don't have any use case for the /56 yet, so I've left that out for the moment. This is a work in progress as I explore features.

You don't have anything on your inside network?

Yes, but they use stateless configuration, and use the prefix from the /64 block to create their own addresses. I use the firewall to protect their ports externally.

Interestingly enough, if you use queue trees for packet shaping, you must copy the mangling rules from the ipv4 configuration, or none of your ipv6 traffic will be shaped and usually take all the bandwidth.

Ie, in a RouterOs winbox terminal:

/ip firewall mangle export

/ipv6 firewall mangle

I found this out because I had just started an apt-get update on a linux box, and my wife mentioned that the voip call became choppy. The linux apt-get was using ipv6 by default, and thus wasn't marking the packets. The operation above solved that problem.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Grokko

said by Grokko:

In my case, I only used the /64 block so far. I don't have any use case for the /56 yet, so I've left that out for the moment. This is a work in progress as I explore features.

You don't have anything on your inside network?

jacobhuh

Calgary, AB
reply to TSI Gabe

Sorry to followup, for logs I just get a continuous iteration of the following in the PPP Logs:

Jul 5 14:29:22 ppp: [wan] IPV6CP: SendConfigReq #20
Jul 5 14:29:22 ppp: [wan] IPV6CP: rec'd Configure Ack #20 (Req-Sent)
Jul 5 14:29:22 ppp: [wan] IPV6CP: state change Req-Sent --> Ack-Rcvd
Jul 5 14:29:24 ppp: [wan] IPV6CP: state change Ack-Rcvd --> Req-Sent
Jul 5 14:29:24 ppp: [wan] IPV6CP: SendConfigReq #21
Jul 5 14:29:25 ppp: [wan] IPV6CP: rec'd Configure Ack #21 (Req-Sent)
Jul 5 14:29:25 ppp: [wan] IPV6CP: state change Req-Sent --> Ack-Rcvd
Jul 5 14:29:27 ppp: [wan] IPV6CP: state change Ack-Rcvd --> Req-Sent

jacobhuh

Calgary, AB
reply to TSI Gabe

Does anyone have this working with PFSense RC2.1 on a MLPPP setup with a @teksavvy.com login? I have a 2x 25M/2M MLPPP setup on PFsense RC2.1 and the WAN setup to accept DHCP6 with the DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation size setup 64 as per Gabe's instruction. But no IPV6 is allocated.

PS. I am located here out West and according to Gabe BC/AB is straight DHCP and /64. Thanks in advance

Jacob

Grokko

Ottawa, ON
reply to djbon2113

I have successfully figured out how to get ipv6 functioning with RouterOS 6.1 on RB2011.

Confirm your PPPoE connection uses the hsiservice.net credentials provided by TekSavvy.

Assuming your PPPoE interface name is "pppoe-out1", copy this configuration to a winbox terminal:

#This uses DHCPv6 to create an address pool
/ipv6 dhcp-client
add add-default-route=yes interface=pppoe-out1 pool-name=tsi use-peer-dns=yes

# MUST CONFIGURE FILTER! otherwise internal machine ports are exposed to the internet by default.
/ipv6 firewall filter
add chain=input connection-state=established
add chain=input connection-state=related
add action=drop chain=input connection-state=invalid
add chain=input in-interface=!pppoe-out1
add chain=forward comment="Allow any to internet" out-interface=pppoe-out1
add chain=forward comment="Allow established connections" connection-state=established
add chain=input comment="RB-FW: Allow ICMPv6" protocol=icmpv6
# Still want SSH, and TELNET access locally to access router, but not externally
# (could also define FTP, but FTP is disabled)
add action=reject chain=input dst-port=22 in-interface=pppoe-out1 protocol=tcp
add action=reject chain=input dst-port=23 in-interface=pppoe-out1 protocol=tcp
# want internal DNS, but don't want external entities
add action=drop chain=input dst-port=53 in-interface=pppoe-out1 protocol=udp
/ipv6 nd
set [ find default=yes ] advertise-dns=yes interface=bridge-local managed-address-configuration=yes other-configuration=yes
add advertise-dns=yes hop-limit=64 interface=pppoe-out1 managed-address-configuration=yes other-configuration=yes

Now, the final thing to do to make everything work is to add an ipv6 address to the bridge-local interface. Since I specified that the dhcp-client should make a pool called "tsi", I will add an address using winbox for bridge-local and use the from-pool option and set it to "tsi". Thus an ipv6 address will appear in the list of ipv6 addresses.

At that point, Windows Vista clients, linux clients saw the address from neighbor discovery, and properly connected to the internet.

Now, for /ipv6 dhcp-client, i set use-peer-dns=no, and the only reason I do this is because I have some static entries for the local network. If you use-peer-dns=yes, then Teksavvy will act as your dns, not the local DNS in RouterOS.

If you have linux machines, your /etc/network/interfaces should look like this if you want your router to assign the prefix and routing through neighbor discovery:

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth0 inet6 auto

rpnc

join:2011-06-08
Markham, ON
reply to iamborg

The WBR 2310 is not on D-Link's list of IPv6 routers. The list is here: »www.dlink.com/us/en/technology/d···olutions

iamborg

join:2013-03-20
reply to TSI Gabe

Does anyone know how to configure my Dlink wbr 2310 router with IPv6?
I'm at a loss.
Thanks

Alex_73

@acanac.net
reply to SimplePanda

MaxOS X and IPhone do not process RA messages on ppp links at all.
Same for their routers.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

Just an FYI to everyone, the new Apple AirPort and AirPort Time Capsule 802.11ac devices still DO NOT support IPv6 over PPPoE. Shame.

rpnc

join:2011-06-08
Markham, ON
reply to djbon2113

No, I haven't used RouterOS. With OpenWRT and D-Link, I had to create a separate PPPoE session for IPv6. Does RouterOS have a separate PPPoE login page specific to IPv6?