SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to rev569

Premium Member

to rev569
Pretty sure you need to use an @hsiservice.net address (or @wiredhighspeed.com). If they didn't give you one you can probably post in the Direct forum to get sorted out.
rev569
join:2011-12-14
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

rev569 to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
I just signed up for ipv6 and got my /64 and /56

I am running debian as my gateway and added +ipv6 to my options file. However I do not seem to get an ipv6 address, I am currently using my @teksavvy.com account as that is what I was told to use by the rep. If this is as straight forward as I am led to believe how do I confirm my account was properly provisioned for ipv6? There doesn't seem to be much for me to troubleshoot. I wanted to call teksavvy but this is 'not supported' and when I got ipv6 added originally the rep was helpful but our conversation was the first time he heard of ipv6 being offered.

Any help would be appreciated.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
It would definitely be more beneficial.

The issue with using HE's DNS servers is that it sometimes returns suboptimal IPv4 addresses when DNS global load balancing is being used by the site you're trying to visit.

For example, using HE's DNS servers, I occasionally get like 200-500Kbps/s to the iTunes Store. Changing the DNS to TSI's DNS servers and flushing my DNS cache immediately returns performance to 25Mbps. Changing back to HE's DNS and flushing the cache again slows me down to sub megabit speeds.

With IPv6, because TSI uses HE for v6 transit you always get a pretty optimal return address for IPv6 requests. If any DNS GSLB is used for V6 at all (and I'm not sure how common that is yet), the addresses you get back are provided for HE's backbone and your packets are headed straight there (probably via TORIX) anyways.

It's basically always -best- to use a DNS server directly attached to your local backbone to get optimal IP resolution. So I'd second/third/etc TSI opting their v6 DNS servers into Google's V6 whitelist.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Mersault

to Mersault
said by Mersault:

said by 34764170:

Also please consider signing up for Google's IPv6 program to get whitelisted for Google (search, GMail, Google Apps, Blogger, Google+, etc.)/YouTube over v6.

»services.google.com/fb/f ··· estipv6/

In the meantime you can use he.net's nameservers. 2001:470:20::2 will get you what you need.

I'm very well aware of that and have been doing so since their name servers were initially whitelisted but it would be more beneficial for TSI users for TSI to finally get their name servers whitelisted too.

Mersault
join:2007-10-26
Toronto, ON

Mersault to 34764170

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

Also please consider signing up for Google's IPv6 program to get whitelisted for Google (search, GMail, Google Apps, Blogger, Google+, etc.)/YouTube over v6.

In the meantime you can use he.net's nameservers. 2001:470:20::2 will get you what you need.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe

Mersault
Toronto, ON

Mersault to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda
I've not had any issues either, and I know this issue has been around for a while. IPv6 is tolerant of MTU issues (the MTU for the entire path is discovered during connection setup typically, if I'm not mistaken), but that doesn't mean that bad MTU values are optimal.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to Mersault

Premium Member

to Mersault
said by Mersault:

Now that I'm up and running with IPv6 on my regular login, I figured I'd give the ICSI Netalyzer another go. Everything came back golden with one exception:

IPv6 Path MTU: Warning
Your system can not send or receive fragmented traffic over IPv6. The path between our system and your network has an MTU of 1486 bytes. The bottleneck is at IP address 2607:f2c0:1:2110::13. The path between our system and your network does not appear to handle fragmented IPv6 traffic properly.
Does anyone at TSI have any input on this? Also, any chance of being able to configure reverse DNS for our IPv6 addresses anytime soon?

The MTU issue definitely appears to be on the first hop router on the TSI side. Interesting catch. I haven't seen any performance or connectivity issues with V6 though - am able to saturate my pipe with V6 traffic if I need to and playing World of Warcraft over IPV6 is actually -less- latent for me then playing over IPV4 (though these are tiny packets and MTU would never be an issue here).

Mersault
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Mersault to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
Now that I'm up and running with IPv6 on my regular login, I figured I'd give the ICSI Netalyzer another go. Everything came back golden with one exception:
IPv6 Path MTU: Warning
Your system can not send or receive fragmented traffic over IPv6. The path between our system and your network has an MTU of 1486 bytes. The bottleneck is at IP address 2607:f2c0:1:2110::13. The path between our system and your network does not appear to handle fragmented IPv6 traffic properly.
Does anyone at TSI have any input on this? Also, any chance of being able to configure reverse DNS for our IPv6 addresses anytime soon?
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned) to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
TekSavvy should look at IPv6 enabling their main website and other websites and other related sites.

I noticed awhile ago that almost all of WIND's site and vhosts (shop, care, etc) are v6 enabled. Come on TSI. This is low hanging fruit. )

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to Babuloseo

Premium Member

to Babuloseo
said by Babuloseo:

is this for cable users as well? What is the benefit of ipv6?

DSL only, cable users need to wait for Rogers/Videotron to roll it out on their network, if you want IPv6 now you will need to use a 6to4 tunnel. For the average home user the only benefit is a static IPv6 address, other than I don't really think their is any.
Babuloseo
join:2010-03-13
Brampton, ON

1 recommendation

Babuloseo to 34764170

to 34764170
is this for cable users as well? What is the benefit of ipv6?
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by 34764170:

said by brassy:

lol, probably the only domain name I didnt try. Still, they could put it in their motd

Or just put the AAAA record for irc.teksavvy.ca as it should be.

I see this was done. Thanks.

Mersault
Toronto, ON

Mersault to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
Done. Though, MLPPP was working fine on the beta logins.

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe to Mersault

Premium Member

to Mersault
It has been extended. I just haven't given the announcement yet.

You can ask for it in the direct forum and you'd be the first customer to give it a try

Mersault
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

Mersault to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
Is IPv6 extended to the MLPPP (wiredhighspeed) logins yet? I've had to move back to my regular login so I could use my /29, but I'd really like to keep IPv6.

shwatkin
Premium Member
join:2007-10-02
Newcastle, ON
Asus XT8
Asus RT-AX92U
Nokia XS-010X-Q

1 recommendation

shwatkin to kragop

Premium Member

to kragop
said by kragop:

Whats the best router to use for IPv6?

I have a D-link DIR-827, it says it supports IPv6, but when I set everything up, it won't work properly.

I too am using the DIR-827 and have noticed that the shipping firmware seems to be broken for native IPv6 setup over DSL. I upgraded from a DIR-655 rev.B1 which did work properly but only with firmware v2.01. However, since the DIR-827 is brand new I'm sure that some future update will fix the native IPv6 support so that it works with the TekSavvy network.

kragop
join:2006-02-15
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

kragop to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
Whats the best router to use for IPv6?

I have a D-link DIR-827, it says it supports IPv6, but when I set everything up, it won't work properly.
thestealth
Premium Member
join:2009-11-10
Saint-Hubert, QC

thestealth to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
In the end I gave up on pfsense and tried the tomato that Gabe posted. At first I tried the 2nd link and that did not work at all. Tried the first build in the post and BINGO worked right away. I then upgraded to the 2nd build and its still working. So thanks for the help. I'll wait until pfsense has more mature ipv6 code.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to thestealth

to thestealth
said by thestealth:

I did find that guide, but it speaks of tunnelling. I was looking more for a native solution.

Reading through the past posts has caused me more confusion than good. I'm not sure where to assign the /64 or /56 addresses (WAN OR LAN).

You don't have to use the /64 and assign the /56 to your LAN.
thestealth
Premium Member
Saint-Hubert, QC

thestealth to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
said by JC_:

Using this guide, »doc.pfsense.org/index.php

I did find that guide, but it speaks of tunnelling. I was looking more for a native solution.

Reading through the past posts has caused me more confusion than good. I'm not sure where to assign the /64 or /56 addresses (WAN OR LAN).

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to thestealth

Premium Member

to thestealth
said by thestealth:

Has anybody had any success in getting pfsense 2.1 to work with ipv6?

Using this guide, »doc.pfsense.org/index.ph ··· 6_on_2.0, I was able to get a connection on the WAN and was able to access the internet but I was having trouble getting IPv6 working on the LAN.
thestealth
Premium Member
Saint-Hubert, QC

thestealth to TSI Gabe

Premium Member

to TSI Gabe
Has anybody had any success in getting pfsense 2.1 to work with ipv6?

I got my /56 and /64 address from Teksavvy and tried messing around with pfsense to get it to work. But alas I could not get it to work and turn to the community for help.
I have a few questions.
1- Do I set a static ip for the ipv6 address on the wan or allow dhcp?
2- if static, what address do I use on the wan side, the /56 or the /64?
3- Other than setting a firewall rule to allow ipv6 to travel from lan to wan, are there any other settings I need to configure?
4-I'm new to the whole pfsense thing, all I have done so far is install it and configure mlppp pppoe for my wan connection. If you have some sort of guide to get this ipv6 working please post a link.

Thanks
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

Re: IPv6 beta - No longer being offered!?

said by 34764170:

Can you comment on the current issue with the TSI authoritative name servers having AAAA records and glue records assigned but the servers or is it load balancers in front not having the addresses configured? I mentioned this to Marc and ns.teksavvy.com was fixed the next day but ns2.teksavvy.com still needs to be fixed.

No reply but I see this was finally fixed. Thanks.

2 edits

34764170 (banned) to routermonkey

to routermonkey

Re: IPv6 beta

said by routermonkey:

said by 34764170:

said by routermonkey:

Try irc6.teksavvy.ca / [2607:f2c0::10]

Good luck if you can connect. The server config seems to be broken.

I can only connect with an IP(v6) that doesn't have a reverse DNS.

So most likely a misconfiguration. The error I was seeing made no sense and said something to the effect of too many connections from host, even though I had none already.

routermonkey
join:2003-06-29
Montreal, QC

routermonkey to 34764170

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by routermonkey:

Try irc6.teksavvy.ca / [2607:f2c0::10]

Good luck if you can connect. The server config seems to be broken.

I can only connect with an IP(v6) that doesn't have a reverse DNS.

frankhomeand
Cisco Geek
join:2004-12-05
Oakland, CA

frankhomeand to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
Sign me up!

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda to TSI Gabe

Premium Member

to TSI Gabe
Also - to answer one of my earlier questions, the Airport Extreme/Time Capsule base stations -will not- work with TSI IPV6. If you have another router the Airport will accept an IPV6 address from another router and they -will- work as an IPV6 tunnelling host and/or a native IPV6 router when using DHCP - they just don't support IPV6 over PPPoE (at least not as a router).

Hopefully this will be fixed in an update as it they fully support V6 in every other way.
micky
join:2011-09-08
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

micky to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
Hi all,

I just thought I'd mention that I have successfully got my DLink DIR-601 working with Teksavvy DSL doing IPv6. I was having some frustration, but I upgraded to the most recent firmware and was able to configure it no problem.

Regards,

M